Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Those are the good ones. Just be forewarned that the cones get brittle with age. If nothing bad happened at the thrift just continue to treat them with care.

The grills came off rather easily. Apparently just hot glue. Driver on the left has tears around the perimeter.

Attachments

• 20180410_194519 - Edited.jpg
    20180410_194519 - Edited.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 124
Denon DVD-3910 with all accessories, $66. Not my normal great score but I have always liked the sound of the 3910. Interestingly, the same store had almost every model of Rotel AV preamp. They were non-HDMI and only one was the newer silver with flange look. There was also a RSP-1098 but it was over priced. If it lasts to half price, I'll bite. Passed on a Parasound P/SP-1000 preamp, overpriced. There were a couple of NHT sub controllers in another flipper's cart which might have interested me.
What thrift was this? Or was it an audio shop of some sort. That's a lot of higher end gear to show up at one thrift at once.

As you can see above, Walter (DublinTrader) and I had a good day at the thrifts. Walter found two guitars, one electric and one acoustic and was nice enough to share the wealth. The acoustic is in nice shape and is a Fender Squier made in China and it's pretty hefty. It cost $8.00 after my geezer discount. I also found a few records and some great vintage kitsch, two mummified toads sold as tourist souvenirs. They creeped my wife out, but I love stuff like this.

View attachment 1160048 View attachment 1160050 View attachment 1160052
Love the toads. I have one that's playing a harp. Picked it up at Village Thrift ages ago.

What thrift was this? Or was it an audio shop of some sort. That's a lot of higher end gear to show up at one thrift at once.

It was a large thrift store, not SA or GW. I pull a decent amount of good stuff from that store. AV preamps are very rare so to see so many at one time is highly unusual. There were seven preamps, 6 Rotels and one Parasound so they must have been donated en masse. No remote controls. I was there when the cart came out but the other flippers who camp by the door got there before me. Anyways, I'm really happy with my DVD-3910.

The grills came off rather easily. Apparently just hot glue. Driver on the left has tears around the perimeter.
Search eBay for new surrounds. Search here for how to "refoam" (those look like rubber, but same procedure) and also search here for how to pull out the pushed in domes. The cones look good. Repair and enjoy!

You might even get away with gluing those surrounds, but I've never tried.

Cruising thrift stores to push in speaker cones has to be an undiagnosed fetish akin to bubble wrap popping.

Saw a pair of battered Kef Coda 7 in my local BHF store, for a rather high price. Tweeters still fine. Went back a week later, and they were both crushed in.

Search eBay for new surrounds. Search here for how to "refoam" (those look like rubber, but same procedure) and also search here for how to pull out the pushed in domes. The cones look good. Repair and enjoy!

You might even get away with gluing those surrounds, but I've never tried.

I've done quite a few surrounds, but I might try to glue them for the time being.

It was a large thrift store, not SA or GW. I pull a decent amount of good stuff from that store. AV preamps are very rare so to see so many at one time is highly unusual. There were seven preamps, 6 Rotels and one Parasound so they must have been donated en masse. No remote controls. I was there when the cart came out but the other flippers who camp by the door got there before me. Anyways, I'm really happy with my DVD-3910.

Are the DVD-3910's really that good? I have had one for a long time sitting unused as well as a DVD-3930CI that looks nearly identical. I have been snagging lots of CD's recently, it seems people are dumping them at the thrifts more and more. For music I should probably use the R/L 2 channel analog out to put the internal Burr Brown DAC's to use. I'm glad you mentioned it, I am going to break one out.

Are the DVD-3910's really that good? I have had one for a long time sitting unused as well as a DVD-3930CI that looks nearly identical. I have been snagging lots of CD's recently, it seems people are dumping them at the thrifts more and more. For music I should probably use the R/L 2 channel analog out to put the internal Burr Brown DAC's to use. I'm glad you mentioned it, I am going to break one out.

I would rate very good. It has a nice balanced sound that is not too sharp but with enough dynamics to satisfy. BTW, the 3930CI is 1080P unconverter while the 3910 is 1080i. Makes a difference in value. Both are worth something because of SACD.

My haul this week so far:

Today $56
Yorkville YSM-1 Studio Monitors $12 GW
Really almost passed these up 2x- I saw York.. and walked off. Luckily I went back and pulled off a cover, I knew right away they were something special. Built buy API Canada for Yorkville there are some raving reviews online regarding these speakers.
Carver CM-1090 $24 GW
Monitor Audio ASW100. $4 GW
Marantz SR-5001 $16 GW
Total $56
IMG_3117.JPG IMG_3116.JPG IMG_3123.JPG IMG_3119.JPG

Earlier this week
Sony DA90ESG, $16
This thing is a beast, $1600 original MSRP, huge caps 120 WPC @ 8ohms. Great for 2 channel music in Pure Direct mode!
Cervin Vega AT-10, need refoam. $14
Total $30
IMG_3107.JPG IMG_3105.JPG IMG_3101.JPG

My haul this week so far:

Today $56
Yorkville YSM-1 Studio Monitors $12 GW
Really almost passed these up 2x- I saw York.. and walked off. Luckily I went back and pulled off a cover, I knew right away they were something special. Built buy API Canada for Yorkville there are some raving reviews online regarding these speakers.
Carver CM-1090 $24 GW
Monitor Audio ASW100. $4 GW
Marantz SR-5001 $16 GW
Total $56
View attachment 1161591 View attachment 1161592 View attachment 1161593 View attachment 1161594

Earlier this week
Sony DA90ESG, $16
This thing is a beast, $1600 original MSRP, huge caps 120 WPC @ 8ohms. Great for 2 channel music in Pure Direct mode!
Cervin Vega AT-10, need refoam. $14
Total $30
View attachment 1161596 View attachment 1161597 View attachment 1161598

Wow, at those prices I would be buying all day long. In So Cal, BPC receivers are in the $40-60 range. Not cheap enough to be worth flipping.

To be honest with you it’s made me an addict

You are talking to the wrong person about that. I am an enabler, lol. I picked up a Sony AVR like yours for $30 and I felt like I hit the jackpot. Mine is the 110 wpc version so not as nice as yours although it is a year or two newer.

Back
Top Bottom