Shipping a BA5000

Sebastien

Hi,

Anyone got any tips on sending a BA5000 safely in the post?

First thoughts is to build a wooden crate, but i'm curious about the internals.
(What kind of packing foam, and how much would be acceptable?)

My other thought is that maybe this could be put in a wooden crate then strapped to a small pallet to avoid anyone handling it and dropping it

Thoughts/experiences?

Thanks

Ship freight, build a crate for it and have it bolted/strapped to a pallet that pallet jack can be used on the truck.

View attachment 1124211

May I add that Pool Noodles (Google them) make for superb shock absorbers, at a cheap price no matter the way of shipping. Plus they add another layer of protection that bubble wrap and peanuts cannot.

Take a tip from how they pack and ship the big McIntosh amps . Does the 5000 push 100 pds . Bubble wrap and peanuts are a receipt for disaster. A piece of 3/4 plywoood bolted to the bolt holes where the feet go and make the ply w bigger than the Amp , with give you a base to start the cabinet .

I shipped 100+ lb speakers quite a few times before without crating them and had good experiences,
but on some of them I used private freight companies instead of the usual suspects.
I did ship a 90+ lb Miller and Kreisel subwoofer via UPS, I used some bubble wrap, 2" hard foam on all sides and a heavy cardboard box.

I would agree on the crate/pallet for this though, too much value to risk it.

May I add that Pool Noodles (Google them) make for superb shock absorbers, at a cheap price no matter the way of shipping. Plus they add another layer of protection that bubble wrap and peanuts cannot.

+1

I've been preaching this forever, I use it for components, golf clubs, china, tennis rackets, you name it. Cheap, easy to form, and resilient. Great stuff.

While we are bragging about conquests, I shipped a Pioneer SX-1980 using large cell bubble wrap and furniture grade medium density styrofoam sheets. Managed to double box and keep it under the 130 inch dimension limit. I thought I did a good job but sweated that one until the new owner let me know all was good.

Someone mentioned hard styrofoam which is the construction grade stuff. It is too hard and transmits shock directly to the unit. Pool Noodles seems like a good idea but it looks to be an expensive solution.

Pool noodles, AKA polystyrene.
I salvage polystyrene and it works great.
Super light and super tough compared to styrofoam.

Foam rubber works great too but it’s heavy and spendy unless you get a good curb find sofa with giant pillows.

If there are furniture stores around, check the dumpsters. Furniture styrofoam is tougher.

Sushi fish coolers are excellent.
I used to salvage those from the local place.
Thick and tough.

A double wall cardboard box and hard styrofoam corners on all eight corners will do it.
Or pool noodles all the way around

I’ve seen big amps shipped in almost nothing and survive.

Use FedEx, they do the best handling.
I get very few damage issues with them.

If you are shipping to the NE US, pack extra careful. They are really rough on stuff out there.

When you are building your crate, be aware of how long the screws are, in relation to the thickness of the wood. And go thicker on the wood. Minimum 5/8" plywood with reinforced corners.

This baby weighs 108 pounds, net.

Here are a few pictures of a once-pristine BA 5000, that got shipped half-way across Canada, in somebody's idea(?) of a crate. I was heartsick when I opened it.

loose faceplate.JPG peanuts2.JPG protruding screw.JPG protruding screw2.JPG scarred badge.JPG scars on faceplate.JPG side gap.JPG side of crate.JPG

When you are building your crate, be aware of how long the screws are, in relation to the thickness of the wood. And go thicker on the wood. Minimum 5/8" plywood with reinforced corners.

This baby weighs 108 pounds, net.

Here are a few pictures of a once-pristine BA 5000, that got shipped half-way across Canada, in somebody's idea(?) of a crate. I was heartsick when I opened it.

View attachment 1160597 View attachment 1160598 View attachment 1160599 View attachment 1160600 View attachment 1160601 View attachment 1160602 View attachment 1160603 View attachment 1160604
Wow that is one of the worst packing jobs I have ever seen, it is like he just threw in whatever he had on hand.

Regards Snow

The crate was cobbled together with scraps of wood, held by long (TOO long!) drywall screws, which cannot take the stress. Peanuts around the amp, a thin sheet of Styrofoam (abrasive to paint), and then drop in the once-pristine faceplate, which the seller so carefully removed. Then another thin sheet of Styrofoam, about 1/4", and fasten down the top, complete with multiple screws protruding into the interior space by about 3/4". In other words, through the Styrofoam sheet, so that the sharp points of the screws could dig and gouge into the front of the faceplate, causing irreparable harm. Other incidental damage included bent panels and frame rails, broken bumper on the back, and peanuts wedged into every conceivable crevice. A giant mess.

Back
Top Bottom