Affordable multiple input stereo preamplifier?

stolen

Tried to search on these forums, but everything that comes up is either a headphone amp or a tube phono preamp OR a passive preamp with one or two inputs.

So, does anyone know of any relatively inexpensive NEW stereo preamps with multiple inputs? This would be driving a Crown XLS1002 power amp.

All I've found is this OSD unit. Does anyone know anything about this?
https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Component-Recording-Amplifier-Mountable/dp/B01MPYJLPX

Not looking for anything fancy, but must have multiple inputs and volume control. It seems like everything I find is crazy expensive for what is a very simple device.

Also, this appears to be a tube stereo preamplifier with 4 separate inputs, all point to point wired.

Any thoughts, users, etc?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nobsound-4...459013&hash=item3af2bec669:g:OPkAAOSwe0NZzaun

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

The OSd one has no gain, I asked the manufacturer, if that mattered to you. Or try Emotiva they have a full feature preamp for cheap.

I've been eyeing that Nobsound pre as well but I'm leery. Crossing my fingers that some reviews pop up. There are a couple Chinese single input pre's that some folks really like which has me wondering about this one.

Last edited:
it seems like no one makes a decent mid fi preamp anymore. Are there DACS with volume control that replaced the function of preamps?

you have two major paths. both Chinese. and both reasonable (depending on your comfort with
the companies offering such).

SS/tube preamp with lots of inputs or DACs with multiple inputs like @Gnesen mentions
above. other brands are nobsound and Xiangsheng

reasonable is beer/cigarette/wine money. I like these because they are usually how I jump
into new things, and I can give away or sell if I don't like them or if I upgrade. and after
decades of kits, fixing Dynaco tube stuff, you cannot diy for this low amount.

and you can get these on Amazon from US shippers, or from china via ebay, or if
you are very, very adventuresome then from Alibaba, and about 100 different
Chinese sites. if you do, learn to use the bing/google translation apps or
learn Chinese. and sometimes both (there are online chats with most of the
sales sites). and be prepared for the shipping costs (usually either slow and cheap
or fast and expensive)

I've got an MCM 50-7772 which is a copy of phonopreamps.com TC-754. It has 3 rca inputs, a phono input, and a passive volume control. Works well for me in a desktop system.

Tried to search on these forums, but everything that comes up is either a headphone amp or a tube phono preamp OR a passive preamp with one or two inputs.

So, does anyone know of any relatively inexpensive NEW stereo preamps with multiple inputs? This would be driving a Crown XLS1002 power amp.

All I've found is this OSD unit. Does anyone know anything about this?
https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Component-Recording-Amplifier-Mountable/dp/B01MPYJLPX

Not looking for anything fancy, but must have multiple inputs and volume control. It seems like everything I find is crazy expensive for what is a very simple device.

Also, this appears to be a tube stereo preamplifier with 4 separate inputs, all point to point wired.

Any thoughts, users, etc?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nobsound-4...459013&hash=item3af2bec669:g:OPkAAOSwe0NZzaun

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Schiit Saga

Was going to suggest this before...may not be what you're looking for, but it's an option.

You could take something like a $37 Sainsmart 6N3 tube preamp and add an input selector to it...something like a Beresford TC-7420 to it (sure you could find a much cheaper option, but the Beresford is high quality). Of course, by the time you "build" the preamp...upgrade the tubes, build your box, get some miscellaneous parts...then the Beresford...you could easily be up near $300. But you could do it cheaper, much cheaper too, but going cheap on the preamp case and finding a much cheaper input selector. I just mentioned these two specifics because I have experience with them. I was really surprised at the sound from the Sainsmart preamp. I think it has a better linestage than my Peachtree Decco.

sainsmart preamp - https://www.ebay.com/itm/6N3-Tube-H...557867&hash=item33b9404988:g:2qQAAOSwBLlVXCqy

Beresford switch - https://www.amazon.com/TC-7240-Router-Switcher-Selector-Splitter/dp/B00KDQXITG

Not new but going cheap.
There are pre-amp units from the AV time frame with gobs of inputs.

Sony made some whacked system that would distribute signal across coax to dedicated amps in multiple rooms. Stupid system, but the control units is a great pre-amp with many inputs, maybe even a remote (I don't get remotes with the stuff I get).

Marantz made an AV preamp for HT that is loaded with inputs. That should have a remote possible too.

I get a lot of old AV gear and these is a lot of stuff that has good features even if they are obsolete or too old school for HT use. Most of it sells dirt cheap, if it sells at all.

A closer look at the Nobsound you linked makes me think it's very similar to my single input NS-O1P ( three 12AX7's and a rectifier tube ). It probably uses the same circuit with added inputs.

I'd buy it in a heart beat. My Nobsound pre ( with Telefunken tubes ) sounds as good as my highly modified Bottlehead Foreplay III and that's saying a lot.

P6140008.jpg

I've had one of these for a few years. Adding a cheap Pyramid power supply took it to another level. A preamp with multiple inputs and a phono stage is hard to find at this price.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-preamp_e.html

I'll echo the recommendation. No real features to speak of besides inputs, but most importantly, it's quiet as the grave.
For once, I believe the manufacturer's specs.
Low distortion, lower than many units priced a good bit higher, and that phono stage is nothing to sneer at.

Comes in a cheap looking Radio Shack-type box.
Looks like junk.
It isn't junk.

Last edited:
I'll echo the recommendation. No real features to speak of besides inputs, but most importantly, it's quiet as the grave.
For once, I believe the manufacturer's specs.
Low distortion, lower than many units priced a good bit higher, and that phono stage is nothing to sneer at.

Comes in a cheap looking Radio Shack-type box.
Looks like junk.
It isn't junk.

I have a TCC phono stage on my AVR. It's been working fine although that is far from a critical listening system, just good for watching TV in the basement.

I have a TCC phono stage on my AVR. It's been working fine although that is far from a critical listening system, just good for watching TV in the basement.

Try it upstairs sometime, you might be surprised [or not].
At this price point, low distortion and zero audible hum are big pluses.

It's been awhile, but as I recall, when I compared it with a my other low distortion SS pre, a vintage model, I couldn't tell a difference.
And that includes the phono stage [sans the impedance loading options of the other pre].

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom