The HomePod has landed

Still, they do say they protect your data, rather than base their business model on it. I don’t mind the ad targeting that the others use my web browsing habits to figure out, but the data sharing has definitely gotten out of hand. Default needs to be “zero sharing”, I shouldn’t need to opt out.
If you want to share data, browsing history, etc. I don't have an issue with that. However, I don't think a lot of users actually understand what is going on with their data. These companies have difficult to understand user agreements, update them on a semi-regular basis, and it is difficult (or impossible) for someone that isn't clairvoyant to understand what is going on with their information. Also, they see this type of stuff all the time and it has become habit just to click through it since they will need a lawyer to decipher it anyway.

It’s just some kind of new gadget with inferior sound to play with until something newer is made for a profit. Just like the kitchen radio...it’s just something to listen to !!

You must be thinking these sound like some POS Bose radio. They don’t.

Yes, they want to make a profit. No, it sounds superior to a kitchen radio and pretty much anything else with the same footprint. All speakers are just something to listen to. There are varying degrees of how good they sound and how much space they take up. In this case, you also have the convenience of Airplay and Apple Music direct control.

Oh, you mean like Apple Music Direct Control from an iPad to a DAC to a JBL Flip 3.....that’s my kitchen radio and it sounds soooo good. I check out the reviews on the home pod and they’re not looking good !!!

Um Kay. I don’t think we need to wait for a blind SQ comparison of a portable Bluetooth speaker to the HomePod to know which will lose, bigly, lol. Happy it works for you, though.

Oh, you mean like Apple Music Direct Control from an iPad to a DAC to a JBL Flip 3.....that’s my kitchen radio and it sounds soooo good. I check out the reviews on the home pod and they’re not looking good !!!
Not as convenient, doesn't sound as good, the whole thing has a much larger footprint and a lot more cables. Not exactly a competitor.

Not as convenient, doesn't sound as good, the whole thing has a much larger footprint and a lot more cables. Not exactly a competitor.

Flip 3 has stereo speakers, has a 3.5 cable port and a carrying case for on the go....home pod is stationary and convenient. But all that matters is that you like it. I was just being technical as far as comparisons go....

Flip 3 has stereo speakers, has a 3.5 cable port and a carrying case for on the go....home pod is stationary and convenient. But all that matters is that you like it. I was just being technical as far as comparisons go....
Yes, Bluetooth speakers are everywhere and many have an aux. They typically sound like crap, but we like them because we can take them outside of wifi range. I have a few myself for the beach or taking out by the pool. None of them, including my 3 foot Sony Bluetooth speaker sound as good as the HomePod.

Waiting on those links...

Yes, Bluetooth speakers are everywhere and many have an aux. They typically sound like crap, but we like them because we can take them outside of wifi range. I have a few myself for the beach or taking out by the pool. None of them, including my 3 foot Sony Bluetooth speaker sound as good as the HomePod.

Waiting on those links...

I have no idea how to provide a link using an iPad....it wasn’t hard to find !!

I don’t use the Flip 3 as a Bluetooth, I increase the clarity by using the Beats headphone 3.5 double end cable hooked up to the last year 2003 Sony Walkman (factory referb recently released NOS) playing a recorded chrome cassette tape that I recorded. That way I don’t loose any signal from a good source. I don’t use anything as intended....

Last edited:
I have no idea how to provide a link using an iPad....
Open up another tab, highlight the URL address (you may have to use your finger to expand the highlighted area), click copy, then paste it to the post by holding your finger down until "paste" button pops up.

Open up another tab, highlight the URL address (you may have to use your finger to expand the highlighted area), click copy, then paste it to the post by holding your finger down until "paste" button pops up.

Thanks for the info...

I’m going to have to practice this for a while !!!

Sound and Vision is out with their HomePod review:

"If you haven’t already gotten the message from all this, here’s the takeaway: The Apple HomePod is, hands-down, the best-sounding speaker of its size I’ve ever heard, and, note-for-note, an absolute pleasure to listen to every moment it’s on. It is, indeed, a remarkable sonic achievement."

"What was there, depth-wise, was more than enough to make the other speakers sound embarrassingly lean. Critically, the low-frequency reproduction (perhaps aided by some modest upper bass contouring) seemed to affect the speaker well up into the midrange, where it gave extra body to instruments and vocals and added weight and warmth the others didn’t share. The HomePod’s top end at first seemed a bit reticent against the other speakers, but I was able to hear well into the details of cymbal shimmer and brushed snare, and came to understand that I was hearing a better blend of the full spectrum that allowed the high frequencies their place without commanding undue attention. The overall effect was an incredibly smooth-sounding speaker with an impactful and undistorted bottom end, silky mids, and finely detailed highs. In short, audiophile quality in any reasonable sense of the word."

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/cont...art-speaker-review-page-2#VxQrjCSpLZoJHkwT.99

Still waiting for the links to those bad reviews of the SQ. I still haven't seen any.

So much like most wireless/bluetooth speakers, they mostly sound the same.

Below blind test didn't come out as expected, with most people preferring Google Home and the Sonos Ones.

Also, there is the vast versatility of the Sonos system, with 2 units in stereo costing the same as a HomePod, and you can use over 40 music services, plus Alexa voice commands and eventually Google Home, audio inputs and they have manual EQ.

http://pogueman.tumblr.com/post/170722337727/head-to-head-does-the-apple-homepod-really-sound

The Apple HomePod is what it is, the best-ish sound in a field of sub par sounding gear. Sure there is the convenience of it being singular and unencumbered by accessories and bulk, but you can get that with Google Home and Sonos, plus way more options outside of the apple ecosystem.

also...

https://www.digitaltrends.com/smart-home-reviews/apple-homepod-review/

See also...poor for movie content..

https://www.kirkville.com/using-the-homepod-as-an-audio-device-when-watching-movies-or-tv/

Pro audio guys think its the best of terrible...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1201539-apple-homepod.html

Good times, if you are married to Apple products.

TOM...

Last edited:
So much like most wireless/bluetooth speakers, they mostly sound the same.

Below blind test didn't come out as expected, with most people preferring Google Home and the Sonos Ones.

Also, there is the vast versatility of the Sonos system, with 2 units in stereo costing the same as a HomePod, and you can use over 40 music services, plus Alexa voice commands and eventually Google Home, audio inputs and they have manual EQ.

http://pogueman.tumblr.com/post/170722337727/head-to-head-does-the-apple-homepod-really-sound

The Apple HomePod is what it is, the best-ish sound in a field of sub par sounding gear. Sure there is the convenience of it being singular and unencumbered by accessories and bulk, but you can get that with Google Home and Sonos, plus way more options outside of the apple ecosystem.

also...

https://www.digitaltrends.com/smart-home-reviews/apple-homepod-review/

See also...poor for movie content..

https://www.kirkville.com/using-the-homepod-as-an-audio-device-when-watching-movies-or-tv/

Pro audio guys think its the best of terrible...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1201539-apple-homepod.html

Good times, if you are married to Apple products.

TOM...
The digital trends article you linked said this:

"The HomePod treats complex and intricate music with the respect it deserves. Just the first few seconds of Allison Krauss and Union Station’s New Favorite gave us chills. The click-y transients created by the opening guitar picks and the deep, metallic twang of the pedal steel leapt from the speaker and filled the room as if we were in the studio. Then Krauss came in with her lilting vocal, and the richness of her tone melted us."

Hilarious that you posted a review from a guy on another forum! LOL I was talking about professional reviews, not some random dude on a forum out there.

I addressed the Pogue testing process above, but I will say that I would never use the HomePod for movies. Apple did calm the bass since the article from the random blogger you linked above, though.

The digital trends article makes the perfect point right at the top.

"The HomePod is one of the best-sounding smart speakers you can buy, but only Apple fans will care."

Also, it's debatable being the best of what in friendly terms is called 'Hi Fi' audio.

Besides, it's sales figures are disappointing. Could it be the price? Or could it be the Utility?

One pays top dollar for a iPhone for it's utility. It does everything you want it to do and other things that you haven't thought of yet.

The HomePod doesn't do everything people expect from a 'smart' speaker, so until that changes, it won't be as successful.

So, professional reviewers have the final say? I think it's more Apple PR that has the final say. No one talks about Apple products without powerful PR words and terms. Mostly it is gushing, which is strange if you are being trying to be critical. Mostly, it is keywords from Apple.

TOM...

Back
Top Bottom