Weather weather everywhere

sKiZo

Hates received: 92644 43.20°N 85.50°W
Michigan's looking at the ice storm of the century tomorrow ... happy spring! (arghhhh!)

Up to three inches of rain - and an inch of ice, with winds gusting to 40mph, so we're expecting a LOT of downed trees and power lines. This should be a humdinger. All stocked up on drinking water, batteries, and lamp oil, plus I got the propane heaters and woodstove if I lose power for any extended period, and I got the pond to feed the toilet.

Any other Michiganders ... can't say you weren't warned!

(PS - wonder if this would qualify for posting in "Outdoor Adventure" ... <G>

Blizzard warnings here. It has started with rain, then sleet, then a bit of small hail, now it is snow moving sideways. 8 to 15 inches is what they're saying by the time it's done.

We're supposed to have freezing rain and ice from mid-day tomorrow to mid-day Sunday, followed by heavy rain into Monday. I rely on a sump pump to keep the basement (and lab) dry. If we lose power I have to hook up the generator and get it going. My nightmare scenario is a long term power outage where I can't keep the generator going due to lack of gas or hard driving rain flooding it out. I don't know how robust they are in that sort of weather. Good chance I won't get any sleep for two days in a row, maybe more.

what trees do you have there ? 40mph is nothing for the trees here .

There's a difference between trees, and trees with an inch of ice covering everything. That's a LOT of extra weight!

Last time we saw anything close here was back in 2011 ... I lost a couple good sized trees to that one.

The ice does make for some neat scenery though. These pics were back in 2008 - for comparison, only a quarter inch of ice that time.

icestorm_mar2011_001cu.jpg

icestorm_mar2011_010.jpg

On the bright side, I took that as fair warning, and clear cut any limbs overhanging the buildings here. I'll sleep way better tonite not hearing those creaking and groaning overhead.

always been lucky here and the strong winds have been mainly when the trees are bare of leaves , there are 3 trees that could potentially destroy my home plus myself whilst laying in bed . have had plenty of sleepless nights i can tell you .

Yah - fortunately, we haven't leafed out here yet, so that helps. Pine trees will probably take it hard though, and they're mostly not all that strong to begin with.

PS - not a bad idea to make sure yer good on the drugs too. Went thru my checklist and had a few that were just about out. Nothing a quick trip to the local dealer ... er ... pharmacist couldn't fix.

I love storms....

Great to invite the next door neighbors cause they can’t be prepared......eating MRE’s, playing board games with lamp oil glass lamps burning bright and listening to the radio. Once you take technology out of the equation people change real fast. On the west coast they have strong storms that take out the electricity and everyone goes home turns on the radio and bar-b-q’s.

53 and sunny here in my area of Alaska. Birds are singing, people out in Tee shirts.. Spring! Sorry about the weather down there tho. I usually don't mind an early winter, but I always hate a late one!

Ah ... forgot to mention the hurricane lamps and a couple gallons of lamp oil! Be prepared!

One thing that could hurt - it's been warm enough for a while that the frost is all gone. Yes, that should minimize flooding, but that also leaves the ground soft, allowing the trees to topple, roots and all.

I love storms....

Great to invite the next door neighbors cause they can’t be prepared......eating MRE’s, playing board games with lamp oil glass lamps burning bright and listening to the radio. Once you take technology out of the equation people change real fast. On the west coast they have strong storms that take out the electricity and everyone goes home turns on the radio and bar-b-q’s.
my neighbour refuses to have electricity . radio only on batteries .. i bought him a smartphone and he doesn't like it . keeps saying its stealing his phone credits . was a very cheap one as it happens . i dont understand top up phones .

my neighbour refuses to have electricity . radio only on batteries .. i bought him a smartphone and he doesn't like it . keeps saying its stealing his phone credits . was a very cheap one as it happens . i dont understand top up phones .

That’s funny...

I don’t like smart phones either, I use it to pay my bills so no one can steal my personal information then I shut it off for the rest of the month. The online pay-your-bill software is getting jacked and people are getting ripped off just like how dummies on Facebook are getting robbed when they are not at home. Scariest of all is how Facebook allows people that you don’t know to track your every move or those that have to inform others about everything that they are doing ....just because it’s the socially acceptable thing to do !!! If a person was to actually check on the amount of missing people in this country they would look at Facebook completely different.

That’s funny...

I don’t like smart phones either, I use it to pay my bills so no one can steal my personal information then I shut it off for the rest of the month. The online pay-your-bill software is getting jacked and people are getting ripped off just like how dummies on Facebook are getting robbed when they are not at home. Scariest of all is how Facebook allows people that you don’t know to track your every move or those that have to inform others about everything that they are doing ....just because it’s the socially acceptable thing to do !!! If a person was to actually check on the amount of missing people in this country they would look at Facebook completely different.
i only use my tribal name for social networks .. i really must get off them more but am suckered in to them .

Back
Top Bottom