Bought some new speaker cables tonight.

GP Hill

I’ve been a skeptic of spending much money on cables. Right now my in my system I have the BJ C 10 gauge speaker wires/ I got an email from Music Direct and they had the Audioquest cv-4 cables for 50% off
So I decided to take a chance and ordered a 12’ pair. I can always return them if I don’t see an improvement. Anyone have thoughts what I’m going to experience?

What's the rest of your system like? How resolving is it?

In my personal experience, solid core cables (such as the CV4s) do sound different to stranded cables. So much so, all of the cables in my system are solid core.

I'll be very interested to see if you hear a difference, and what your preference is.

I have two pairs of Rocket 33 in my system for the past 4 years and like them. Like yours they are solid core and the bananas are removable which makes speaker and amp swaps easier without modifying the cables.

What's the rest of your system like? How resolving is it?

In my personal experience, solid core cables (such as the CV4s) do sound different to stranded cables. So much so, all of the cables in my system are solid core.

I'll be very interested to see if you hear a difference, and what your preference is.
My system is made up of a Vincent SV-237 Amp, Aerial 7t speakers, Thorens TD 124 turntable, SME m2-9 arm and a AT Art 9 cart. I use BJC interconnects. I’ve been thinking about new speaker cables for quite a while and with the 50% off deal I just couldn’t resist. My room has significant treatment and my system sounds very good as is. The Audioquest cables I ordered had very good reviews. We will see.

^^^^I have 3 Audioquest items in my system. During the Music Direct 60 day period I was impressed enough to keep them. I put a $125 set of I/C's on a $170 CDP and it totally changed the SQ of the CDP. My speaker cables are 12 ga BJC's with banana's, I like them a lot. The AQ's on my VPI TT with the same Cartridge as yours are also a good match.

Hope you like your new speaker cables.

Initially you'll experience a different sound and you may not like it.

I've experienced the same thing. In one instance they sounded a bit brittle and harsh, too bright for my tastes. In another case, the mid-range detail seems to be muddy sounding and vague.

However, both firms that made the cables said to 1) get them into position where they lay best for your tastes and system arrangement, and, 2) give them some time.

I ended up letting the music play 24/7 for about a week or so on both sets and they settled in. The results were excellent.

Good luck!

My system is made up of a Vincent SV-237 Amp, Aerial 7t speakers, Thorens TD 124 turntable, SME m2-9 arm and a AT Art 9 cart. I use BJC interconnects. I’ve been thinking about new speaker cables for quite a while and with the 50% off deal I just couldn’t resist. My room has significant tre. atment and my system sounds very good as is. The Audioquest cables I ordered had very good reviews. We will see.

Good for you for being open minded. You have nice equipment. Although I have no experience with Audioquest, or BJC speaker cables, I believe that you will hear a difference. I do have experience with BJC interconnects and I'm not really a fan. Their RCA connectors have too much mass and grip like grim death.

-Dave

As others have said, you'll likely hear a difference, and definitely give the new cables a few days of listening before you make any judgment. Personally I notice the biggest differences when I'm not trying to hear them, if that makes any sense. Enjoy your new cables, and do report back!

I forgot to mention that I went from DIY 10ga ofc cables with Furutech banana connectors, to a pair of Kimber Kable 8TCs that I put the Furutech connectors onto. There was no night and day, dramatic difference, but there are definite, noticeable differences, especially in the mid and upper ranges. Hopefully you'll notice similar improvements!

However, both firms that made the cables said to 1) get them into position where they lay best for your tastes and system arrangement...
I'd be interested in hearing more on this. I've never consider their position.... I assume this means how they are laying between the amp and speaker?

I'd be interested in hearing more on this. I've never consider their position.... I assume this means how they are laying between the amp and speaker?

I didn't mean they had to be laid out in any particular design or certain distances from the rack, etc...

Rather, I just make sure that they aren't twisted, draped across furniture, putting tension on the connectors at both ends and are not intruding in traffic areas. Also, I tend to lay mine out so that the same amount of cable is visible on either side of the rack and leading up to the termination jack pack at the back of the speakers just for aesthetics.

I tend to leave them where they lay and generally do not move them unless I am moving the speakers a bit for some reason. Some audiophiles would say to leave them alone as they "take a set" in a position after a while and moving them disturbs the molecular structure of the conduction. Well, that's going a bit far into the rabbit hole, at least for me it is.

I’ve been a skeptic of spending much money on cables. Right now my in my system I have the BJ C 10 gauge speaker wires/ I got an email from Music Direct and they had the Audioquest cv-4 cables for 50% off
So I decided to take a chance and ordered a 12’ pair. I can always return them if I don’t see an improvement. Anyone have thoughts what I’m going to experience?

I'm not terribly familiar with CV-4, but I've heard the Type 4 and they are very good for the price. CV-4 will be even better (smoother in the upper mids). Personally I use CV-6 (w/DBS) in my main system and they are excellent. I have Cardas, TPD, AQ, Nordost and a few others in my inventory but I tend to use mostly AQ products as I have found them to be very "coherent" sounding. I really like their IC's and Speaker wires with the DBS dielectric biasing.

I’ve been a skeptic of spending much money on cables. Right now my in my system I have the BJ C 10 gauge speaker wires... Anyone have thoughts what I’m going to experience?
Understand there are no hard rules as to what changes you might expect because it involves a system - an amplifier's output stage driving a specific speaker with its complex electrical characteristics as determined by its crossover / blender, etc.

My suggestion would be to listen long term to well known content and judge for yourself. My system tends to be a bit more demanding using electrostats which present a reactive load to the amp - which not all of them like. The JPS Labs cables I use present better focus and resolution than zip cord.

As someone who believes cables make a difference, I am looking forward to your opinions. I own Morrow cables. Love them and they are very easily managed because they are so limber and thin.

Back
Top Bottom