R-2000

Ryanj52

I got my first Yamaha Receiver R-2000, I bought it not tested knowing that it might not work. Well it doesn't, it turns on lights up, the turner seams to work but all I am hearing is occasional static or crackling and popping. I tried Aux, Tuner, and both Tape inputs, all with the same issue. If I tap the top it will make these noises on command. I am going to bring it somewhere to have it looked at, but would love to have an idea what it might be before I have it looked at. I always wanted one of these and decided to pick it up even knowing there were some issues.

Any ideas would be appreciated,

Thanks Ryan

It's worth trying to clean the selector with deoxit or at least turn it back and forth a bunch of times.
I had an R-300 that made no noise at all due to an extremely dirty selector.

Turn the volume control down low and toggle the front panel Pre/Main Coupler switch for shits and giggles.

This afternoon when it was making noise i could also hear a relay click. I took top cover, bottom and face plate off to tried to clean the pots and switches, they are pretty hard to get to, i may have to take more a part. I put it back together and now I am getting nothing. I don't know if i got deoxit on something I shouldn't have. I am going to try again tomorrow.

Today I am not hearing anything no music, no static or cracking and no relay click. It lights up the turner locks on channels, the power outlets in the back work. I tried speakers a,b and c and all inputs. I am not sure what else to try.

You may have pulled a wire loose or pinched a wire when you were cleaning your switches.

You may have pulled a wire loose or pinched a wire when you were cleaning your switches.
Thanks I didn't think of that, I will double check. The pots are tough to get to, I took the top cover, bottom and face plate off and still couldn't get them all without taking it further apart. I was afraid maybe I got deoxit on something I shouldn't have.

I'm going to say what is probably obvious but sometimes it's the obvious that gets overlooked...are the pre-main jumpers installed?

I'm going to say what is probably obvious but sometimes it's the obvious that gets overlooked...are the pre-main jumpers installed?
This model does not have jumpers. It does however have a (pre/main) coupler switch on the front panel.

So if it has a switch to select pre or main, should it also have pre outs and main outs? And should those be jumpered if not using an external amp?
Not trying to be sarcastic, because I have an R1000 and they seem to be similar.

So if it has a switch to select pre or main, should it also have pre outs and main outs?
It has the pre-out / main-in jacks. But the switch functions as the physical jumper. Yamaha does not use physical jumpers. Or at least I can't at the moment recall any model that does.

It has the pre-out / main-in jacks. But the switch functions as the physical jumper. Yamaha does not use physical jumpers. Or at least I can't at the moment recall any model that does.

Ok cool. The R1000 has to have a jumper.

If your using jumpers. Your just by-passing the coupler/decoupler front panel switch.

If your 1000 has a set of jumpers. They are not OEM. Someone has added them probably because the coupler switch is dirty and not working correctly.

A poor engineering decision IMO. Those coupler switches are most always and issue. I would say in 75-80% of the Yamaha recievers and integrated amplifiers I've had across the bench.They needed disassembly and cleaned. Jumpers would have been a cheaper and more reliable way to go.;)

Back
Top Bottom