Yamaha CA-1010 no lights

Mico

Got friend`s Ca-1010 in for cleaning and adjustment and he mentioned that all lights (including Power indicator LED) were out for quite some time. After replacing all 5 bulbs behind meters they are still not working
as well as power LED. Had the same issue with my CA-810 some time ago but sold it before fixing the problem. Any ideas?

Have a look at fuse F401. Its probably popped. .5 amp Check it with your multimeter.

It is located on the power supply board on the underside. Accessible through the bottom cover.

It is located on the power supply board on the underside. Accessible through the bottom cover.
O.K problem solved, thanks a lot. While I am here and to spare another thread...
The owner mentioned something else, relay cycling for a couple of minutes but only when amp has been disconnected for at least 12 hours.
And it would supposedly do it with or without speakers connected. I tried it in a several +12 hours cycles being unplugged - and it never acted up, exact 3sec. delay.
I have Echowar`s check-up list for CA-1010 relay issues but do not see the problem happening at the monet, maybe best to leave it alone for now?

O.K problem solved, thanks a lot. While I am here and to spare another thread...
The owner mentioned something else, relay cycling for a couple of minutes but only when amp has been disconnected for at least 12 hours.
And it would supposedly do it with or without speakers connected. I tried it in a several +12 hours cycles being unplugged - and it never acted up, exact 3sec. delay.
I have Echowar`s check-up list for CA-1010 relay issues but do not see the problem happening at the monet, maybe best to leave it alone for now?
Post a clear photo of the power supply boards component side.

Post a clear photo of the power supply boards component side.
Will do when I am able to turn amp around again, was replacing burned LED...and created new problem! Had to knock few times (moderately) glued old LED to remove
it from the faceplate hole - and now one meter needle is out of the rest position :eek:! What the heck, is there a way to align it again?
This little fork-like thing in the middle looks a bit off compared to the other meter.

Attachments

• Yamaha Meter.jpg
    Yamaha Meter.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 38
All this because of a bad fuse... Well you may have whacked it hard enough for the pointer to jump over the mechanical adjuster
little fork-like thing in the middle

Did the plastic meter cover get broken off the meter or did you remove it ?

Post a similar photo of the other meter..... and the power supply board .

Did the plastic meter cover get broken off the meter or did you remove it ?
No, I removed it carefully and managed to put needle in default position by slightly moving "fork" (mechanical adjuster).
Will see how meter works once everything is connected. And I did not knock the meter housing, vibration was obviously enough to mess up the meter needle.
Yeah, all that for damn Power indicator but LED was burnt for sure, new one works fine. And LED was glued so hard like whole amplifier was sitting on it.

Last edited:
Post a similar photo of the other meter..... and the power supply board .
Picture of affected meter has red dot, intact one has green. Looks O.K. to me except the position of the adjuster(s). PS board still inaccessible for pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_4650.JPG
    IMG_4650.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4651.JPG
    IMG_4651.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 40
The pointers appear to be in the correct positions. Usually messing with the adjuster will make very noticeable changes to the resting position of the pointer.

Alright, picture of PS board attached. Really bad news is the meter in question does not work, at least does not move at initial power up.
Did not have time to test it with input signal but can not see why it would work... but damn LED which initiated all this works &^$@#!
When both were out, the good meter had more needle "spring" action than the troubled one which seemed more lazy in returning to rest.
Yes, they have plastic covers glued to faceplate and guts are removed from the back.
Are these available anywhere? Who could guess it would give up the ghost for such a stupid reason.

Attachments

• Ca-1010 PS board copy copy.jpg
    Ca-1010 PS board copy copy.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
The pointers appear to be in the correct positions. Usually messing with the adjuster will make very noticeable changes to the resting position of the pointer.
If you look again at the pictures, the adjuster on bad one`s is now at around 5`clock and the good one`s at 7` clock. The question is why the needle moved from the default position at the first place. Will look at it again, I am afraid that coils got damaged.

Last edited:
The question is why the needle moved from the default position at the first place.
Probably because you accidently moved the adjuster.Move the adjuster on the messed up meter to match the position of the good one.

Reinstall the meters. Then we will need to go through the meter adjustment procedure in the service manual. We may get very lucky.

Replacement meters are usually attached to CA-1010's ie parts unit

Probably because you accidently moved the adjuster.Move the adjuster on the messed up meter to match the position of the good one.
I moved it on purpose where it is now after knocking on the faceplate dislocated needle from the resting position.
And moving adjuster into (counterclockwise) direction which put needle again to correct resting point for sure weakened spring`s return force.
Will move the bad meter adjuster to same position as the other one and report back.

Just adjust it to match the * position of the pointer to the good meter.Reguardless the position of the adjuster **

* Critical
** not critical

Back
Top Bottom