How long do you wait until you report a "non-paying bidder"?

My method is to send a reminder the day before ebay allows you to file a non payment. Mentioning this fact and offering to cancel the transaction.

The problem is that ebay holds canceled transactions against you.

Agree the BIN or best offer is a good way to go and have started to use it more often myself.

I have not had success with Best Offers. I either get low ball offers, or none at all. I've found that if my price is too high, they simply move on. I haven't had anyone send be an offer through ebay in weeks.

The problem is that ebay holds canceled transactions against you..

That may effect or may not future sales. I will add to the new listing, relisted due to a non payer and move on.
Trust me on this, would much rather loose a potential sale to a slow payer, one who needs to be reminded again and again, with little regard of communicating with the seller. Just figure to sever quickly all ties, block and move on to someone else.
Really who would want to ship the item to this type of buyer after all?
One having to hit with non payment to get paid!!
No me!
Have them then to become a problem child and attempting to get a discount, all the while holding the item hostage after receiving.
Again not me!

Barney

I haven't sold on eBay in many years, but when I did I included a single line in my description stating that by bidding on the auction, they were acknowledging and accepting my terms. I included a LINK to my terms. When they went to the link, they saw the text below. I got mixed reviews on that. NOBODY that I recall ever used the discount code for 5% off listed at the end of the 'terms'.

Promises

If you bid on my auction, I PROMISE to check email daily, should you have a question.

If you bid on my auction, YOU PROMISE to ask any questions early enough that I can give you a timely and accurate answer.

If you win my auction, I PROMISE to pack your item carefully, with enough bubble wrap and packing pellets to insure its safe arrival. In the case of electronic or other fragile items, I will double box as necessary.

If you win my auction, I PROMISE to ship your item as soon as I receive payment. Ideally, the auction closes, you pay via PayPal, and I ship your package the very next day. I absolutely love it when that happens.

If you win my auction, YOU PROMISE to respond via email within 48 hours, and make payment within 7 days. If you pay within 48 hours using PayPal, no other email is needed. International winners, please wait for my invoice before paying.

If you are planning a vacation just as the auction closes, YOU PROMISE to email that information when you bid, so I won't think you have become a non-paying bidder (NPB) and inadvertently sell your item to someone else. I would absolutely hate it if that happens. I reserve the right to sell to another bidder if I hear nothing from you for 7 days.

When you receive your item, I PROMISE that it will be as described. If not you will receive a refund upon return of the item in the condition in which it was shipped. Items described as not working or for parts only exempted.

I will ship internationally to any country for which eBay provides ShipCover insurance. The following locations are excluded:

Belarus
Cote D' Ivoire (Ivory Coast)
Cuba
Iran
North Korea
Burma/Myanmar
Sudan
Syrian Arab Republic
Zimbabwe
Russia

Note: This list is subject to change

International bidders are responsible for any and all customs and or import fees. I have no control over these fees. Declared value shall be the amount of your winning bid. Anything else is illegal.

If auction states NO international shipping and you bid anyway, you must provide a shipping address within the United States (or Canada).

I ship insured. For international bidders I will try to ship the least expensive way I can while still providing insurance coverage. International bidders should always wait for my invoice before paying so you do not underpay or overpay for shipping. Thank you.

Positive feedback and 5-star ratings are VERY important to me so, if there is an issue, PLEASE contact me IN ADVANCE of leaving feedback to work out a solution. Once you leave feedback, our business is done.

Thank you for reading this far. If you win the auction and send me an eBay message with the code IREDURTERMS, I will take the lesser of 5% or $5 off your invoice.

I strive to keep my promises. Please endeavor to keep yours.

Good luck, and thank you for bidding in my auction.

-BLW

I NEVER click on external links in an eBay auction. I assume they are a come on to try to circumvent fees.

In retrospect, I can see that most of my bidders probably did the same thing. But in a dispute, I could still point to the description which provided them with the terms and the statement that they were agreeing to the terms by bidding. These days I would do something different, but then these days I don't sell on eBay. I definitely would not put all that boilerplate in the actual description. Probably just say after 7 days, if you haven't paid and haven't given me good reason to wait, I report NPB and relist.

I NEVER click on external links in an eBay auction. I assume they are a come on to try to circumvent fees.

Ebay doesn't allow external links anymore. I tried linking to something a few months ago.... specs or something, and I couldn't even list it until I removed it.

If I encounter too much boiler plate, I chose another seller.

That may effect or may not future sales. I will add to the new listing, relisted due to a non payer and move on.

I'm more worried about having ebay restrict me than what a particular bidder might think. Ebay has "seller standards" or something like that now, and they keep close statistics on your interactions.

Trust me on this, would much rather loose a potential sale to a slow payer, one who needs to be reminded again and again, with little regard of communicating with the seller. Just figure to sever quickly all ties, block and move on to someone else.
Really who would want to ship the item to this type of buyer after all?
One having to hit with non payment to get paid!!
No me!
Have them then to become a problem child and attempting to get a discount, all the while holding the item hostage after receiving.
Again not me!

The sale is already likely lost, and I'm not getting paid... that's the point. I still have to keep up the appearance of being an accommodating seller, and "try to work with the buyer" as ebay says. If I don't get paid after I send a message, the sale is gone as far as I'm concerned. I can't just go an cancel the sale, Though... as stated ebay will count that against me.

Ebay has never never restricted my actions in any way. The few times I needed to resort to a cancellation is was due to just wanting to move on and tired of messing with a dead beat non responsive buyer.
I have also had great results calling and talking to a real live person at ebay every time a problem arose. I'm confident if a problem with cancellation like you described could be easily explained. Plus once they knew you sent a message to buyer explaining the action and are going to relist would also agree.

Barney

Back
Top Bottom