Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

With a fixed income, retail prices for the quality audio I like is out of the question. Including the high used prices for quality vintage audio. Which leaves me with CL and thrift stores. These 3 components I'm showing were obtained within the last 3 or 4 months. I got them at the same thrift store in my area called STVDP
(St. Vincent DePaul). All for under $50.
1. Sanyo 2050 Receiver-Amazing surprise. Sound quality is excellent. Phono stage is excellent . All the lights and meters work. It's built like a Cat D9 bulldozer.
50 watts per channel and weighs in the neighborhood I'd say of 40lbs.
2. Magnavox CDB 500 CD player-Great sounding older player with a decent DAC and transport.
3. Technics RS-928R Tape Deck-Decent sounding deck with all the bells and whistles.
Nice stuff . High Fidelity on a budget , nothing wrong with that .

One more for me from the auction site.

rz7GfPB.jpg

KZBJH0l.jpg

Salvation army. A single Canton vento 802. Not a fan of stragglers. Was Also vento 855 center channel. 40$. For both..... Couldn't pass up. 1500 msrp on center channel. I did make the effort and had them look around for the missing 802

Also same location cple weeks before picked up a Minty mint late 80s ladies schwinn world sport 50$ And a Sony dvp s7000 with Copper chassis....20$

Another location few weeks back Sony dr5es. 20$. Best thrift month in yrs.

Last edited:
I picked up a little Onkyo TX-80 for ten bucks. It's a late 80s 33 WPC receiver. At first glance it looks like run-of-the mill BPC, but it has a thick metal faceplate and a solid build. It sounds pretty good. It might eventually make its way to my son's room.

Not actually thrifted, but I also bought an old iPad 2 off of CL for $25. It has some cracks on the screen, but I mainly plan on using it to stream music to the garage system. I'd been thinking of getting something like an Airport Express to stream my music library out there, but this iPad sure beats that for price and convenience.

Last edited:
Spotted these at the local GW today. Don’t have room for them, but I’m sure they’re worth a bit more than the ask. Superb build quality. 1950s?

View attachment 1163082 View attachment 1163083 View attachment 1163085

Maybe 60s, see following link. The one caveat from that era is those lower handles with the two attachment points may be brassy pot metal that loses its thread... I've had to replace the handles on a 60s Danish modern piece here at home because of that.

http://circa1960s.blogspot.com/2012/09/stanley-furniture-mid-century-modern.html

Scored a full size original Apple Wireless keyboard from GW for $5

Cleaned up nicely and works flawlessly.

9FAC7721-DD1F-41B3-A77A-A981A46B0241.jpeg

Last edited:
Not a huge headphone guy here. However I found a set of Sennheiser HD 650’s new in the box today for $75 at St. Vincent De Paul.
Check out that frequency response!

View attachment 1165198 View attachment 1165197 View attachment 1165196
That is a fantastic find!
If I was to buy a new headphone right now the HD600, HD650 or the HD6XX from Massdrop would be my baseline purchase.

Those ADS speakers are also no slouch but the Sennheisers are what got me excited as they are still pretty modern and new enough that they don't tend to end up in thrifts at well below market value.

Found a Yamaha CR-620 and some unidentified speakers on Craigslist. The guy said he also had some Realistic gear. So me and my brother drove up to the next town over (about half an hour away). The receiver was very nice, he told me it just had a service last year and it was working great. The speakers turned out to be a pair of Yamaha NS-670's. One of the woofers wasn't working, and the cabinets had some scratches but for $100 for the receiver and speakers was too hard to pass up.

My brother walked away with a Realistic STA-120b and a pair of Optimus 2 speakers for $50. The Realistic receiver looked a little dirty, but It cleaned up nicely, and some deoxit fixed the scratchy volume control. Still needs a broken switch fixed, but is working well otherwise. What's interesting is that the receiver also included a lifetime warranty, and the guy still had the original paperwork and receipt. I have no Idea if Radio Shack will still honor that warranty though but hey, you never know. I haven't really found any information on the Optimus 2's but the cabinets are really nice, and they have a nice bottom end for their size.

Salvation army. A single Canton vento 802. Not a fan of stragglers. Was Also vento 855 center channel. 40$. For both..... Couldn't pass up. 1500 msrp on center channel. I did make the effort and had them look around for the missing 802

Also same location cple weeks before picked up a Minty mint late 80s ladies schwinn world sport 50$ And a Sony dvp s7000 with Copper chassis....20$

Another location few weeks back Sony dr5es. 20$. Best thrift month in yrs.

I suggest maybe checking back at the same location for a couple of weeks. I have seen this happen a few times where an orphan speaker shows up on the floor, and then its mate appears a few weeks later.

Blows my mind how it could happen, but I also saw an orphan speaker at one location, and its twin at another location within the same thrift store chain!

I suggest maybe checking back at the same location for a couple of weeks. I have seen this happen a few times where an orphan speaker shows up on the floor, and then its mate appears a few weeks later.

Blows my mind how it could happen, but I also saw an orphan speaker at one location, and its twin at another location within the same thrift store chain!
I did 1 week later May try again.

Back
Top Bottom