It has been a very long time, but I bought a new Yamaha

brutal

YamaHoarder
Subscriber
Complete BOTL AV receiver for my new RV.

289746.jpg

I left the old 7.1 surround receiver system, speakers, and sub in the old trailer and thought I would just add a soundbar and upgrade the ceiling and outdoor speakers in the new coach. Figured it was just too much time, effort, and hassle to pull it out and replace it all with something, as I had pitched the factory multifunction BPC that it came with.

However, after fighting with both the utterly craptastic Furrion mobile head unit and just as craptastic TCL TV*, neither of which has discrete remote codes available for my Harmony remotes to select the HDMI interfaces, I decided I had enough.

Also picked up a BOTL cheap Yamaha soundbar.

81e4lWz3ZBL._SX355_.jpg

Don't judge, it's an RV, and while I like to listen to music at times, we watch very little TV/movies. That said, I just could not, in good conscience, tolerate that Furrion head unit.

Now I just have to rebuild the cabinet a bit. The only place to fit standard size components is where there are two drawers over the fireplace. Pulled the drawers and slides out and need install a solid shelf.

*TV will likely get replaced by a nice Samsung, but probably not this first year. As I can solve the input selection/ARC problem between it and the Furrion by running everything through the AV/soundbar.

I don't use my refurb'd vintage amps for "noise duties" such as TV or background music.
Some of the RX-V's sound quite decent, a great starting point for the younger who require plenty of party watts.

Complete BOTL AV receiver for my new RV.
Now I just have to rebuild the cabinet a bit. The only place to fit standard size components is where there are two drawers over the fireplace. Pulled the drawers and slides out and need install a solid shelf.

Hmn. RV + fireplace. So it's not a really small RV?

I hope that you get it all worked out. +1 on the Samsung tv. I really like mine a lot.

Cheers,
James

32' Grand Design Reflection 303RLS fifth wheel. I tow a 19' SeaDoo twin engine boat behind it. :D

Fireplace is basically a thin metal box with a heating element and a small cage fan to blow hot air out the front. It has a glass facade with a couple fake logs and a fake "fire" panel.

Runs totally cool unless you're right in front of it. We only use the RV in the summer mostly, so not of any concern.

Reflection-303RLS-B2F-web_0.jpg

Last edited:
I don't use my refurb'd vintage amps for "noise duties" such as TV or background music.
Some of the RX-V's sound quite decent, a great starting point for the younger who require plenty of party watts.

I have an RX-V3800 running my HT. Outboard PC2002M amps drive the 250Ti's and my B460.

32' Grand Design Reflection 303RLS fifth wheel. I tow a 19' SeaDoo twin engine boat behind it. :D

Fireplace is basically a thin metal box with a heating element and a small cage fan to blow hot air out the front. It has a glass facade with a couple fake logs and a fake "fire" panel.

Runs totally cool unless you're right in front of it. We only use the RV in the summer mostly, so not of any concern.

Reflection-303RLS-B2F-web_0.jpg

Sweet! Looks long enough to roller skate in.

Cheers,
James

Well farts.

The RX-V383 doesn't have zone 2 (I can deal with that with a nice Niles switch I already have) my bad for not looking into it more and assuming everything pretty much had at least a 2nd zone these days.

Bigger disappointment is that I can't seem to get it to control the soundbar volume from the receiver. WTF?

I have to turn off HDMI control to get any sound, then can only control volume from the soundbar remote. This is not what I expected.

I first had the receiver HDMI out to the soundbar, then to the TV. I've tried hooking it to the TV first and backfeeding the HDMI/ARC to the soundbar, doesn't matter. I'm never going to use the TV as a source as I pick up my OTA channels in the Dish receiver.

Kind of pissing me off. This HDMI stuff should just all "work". With CEC enabled, the TV sees the soundbar and Samsung bluray, the RX-V383 sees the dish player and bluray, never the TV or soundbar.

I wonder if there's a code update needed in either one?

I sent an email to Yamaha support, but not hopeful I'll actually get anything meaningful back from them.

Back
Top Bottom