What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

index.php

My humble rig, Rack is my wife's former plant shelve. I built a wood "Tunnel" for wire management. I'm done with gear hoarding, Just in listening mode now, Thank goodness!!
Hardly humble, compadre...missed this earlier as it fell into crack between my first post of the day and me trying to get caught up on the thread just a little bit.

The Thelonius Monk set I posted earlier sounds nice thru disc 2. The problem with all this new music I have been getting recently is not "when can I play it", but rather, "when can I play it enough to really know it". In due time, I hope.

Another one:

Grand Funk Railroad
10 Great Songs

View attachment 1164373 View attachment 1164374

A friend long ago was into GFR. I recall some great songs like TNUC, not on this disc, so there is more work to be done.
you are looking for Mark Don and Mel album

Lotsa gear pics tonight so I'll throw one atcha.

View attachment 1164526

The Pioneer RT-707 reel in the left stack is playing Concert in Argentina. The weird round amp with the blue lights in the right stack is my DIY thing, driving a pair of SEAS by Sennheiser SE2's. They are similar to Dynacos. Two 8 in 16 ohm woofers in parallel with dome tweet between. It's close to d'appolito configuration...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwoofer-tweeter-midwoofer

...has better dispersion than 10in woofs, sounds better than A25/35 to me, and I am reluctant to swap anything else in until the dipole project is finished (if ever).
impressive

Love that album. Lee. It's kind of the forgotten one from Dwight as it's so dark.
All my Yoakam is on CD. The vinyl is so cool.
I love Buenas Noches also. That was the last one I bought on vinyl. His next "If There Was A Way" I don't think a lot of vinyl was issued. Anyway you got me thinking, I still have and use the 1st CD player that I bought. Just looked it up on HiFi Engine and it says my Sony CDP-315 was made in 1994. So looks like I was a slow adopter of cds. When I put new belts on my cassette deck I did find I was still recording music off the radio in 2000 because a program I recorded is playing the just released Sade album "Lovers Rock" (released 2000). Don't have any Dwight Yoakam on cassette though. At least no longer anyway. The last factory recorded cassette I have is Cosmic Thing by the B-52s(1989). Just remembered another cd player I have that I bought new. A Discman D 141. It says manufactured April 1995. It still works too.:)
IMG_0001 (2).JPG

The other machine is an Akai GX-630D. It was my main playback deck for prerecorded tapes until I got the 707. Autoreverse on the 707 has me spoiled.

I try to follow three rules (there will be exceptions):

1-It's OK to have stuff I don't need.
2-Everything has to work.
3-Everything gets used.

The main role of the Akai is presently to record and play back 3.75 ips dbx mix tapes, like this one:

View attachment 1164562

This one is called Six Bands. It's all The Doors, Iron Butterfly, Cream, Hendrix, Santana, Deep Purple. The big reel is cool to watch, and goes a long time at 3.75.

I have other RtR decks for other uses.

Yeah, finding good RtR titles in good shape at decent prices is a problem. Some tapes I bought long ago. Sometimes I get lucky on prices, but that happens less and less. Sometimes I bite the bullet and pay too much. Not often, too expensive.

Playing now: I Feel Free by Cream
had a 707 years ago
i recorded live albums and party play lists on the 60-70- tapes
love the sound of a reel
but traded it and all the tapes for a set of QLS-1
would like to reaquire a 10 inch reel to reel player again but now mostly digital - cds and hard drive

Back
Top Bottom