Marantz Imperial 9's

When I first bought my (now sold) Imperial 8s, one of the woofer cones was separated from the spider. I used a long piece of stiff wire with a short "L" bent into the end to apply epoxy to the mating surface at the joint between the cone and voice coil, and glued the spider back into place. It worked fine for several years.

I didn't realize that this was a "tell me how the speakers that I enjoy are junk" thread. Thanks.

Sorry but marantz speakers are subpar and people paying mindless money for e mediocre product. Couldn't give them away while ago. Why are you spending big bucks on these speakers. It does audio a disservice. Speakers are not marantzes macs pioneers or sansuis strong suit why oh why are some of you doing this. It boggles the mind.

Wow, what an ignorant statement. How many have you owned? While the Imperial 9s are not my favorite, the Imperial 6s are very well thought of and some of there other series is the same.

My apologies didnt mean to offend anyone. I felt bit strongly on the very high prices. Thats all. Peace?

I have no dog in this but I would just like to suggest, as a friend and fellow AKer, for future reference, that saying an entire brand name is 'subpar' usually doesn't end well. For two very good reasons: 1) there are almost always exceptions to any rule, especially with the sheer number of products produced over time by these companies; and 2) even if you don't like ANY of their products, someone will show up saying they have a favorite, and at that point it doesn't matter whether we like it or not, only that they do. :D Live and let live. Not that there aren't differences in quality between products and brands, everyone knows there is.

Edit: Not trying to divert the thread with a big discussion, just offering my two cents, peace out, carry on!

Last edited:
Wow, what an ignorant statement. How many have you owned? While the Imperial 9s are not my favorite, the Imperial 6s are very well thought of and some of there other series is the same.

Yes, the HD and DS series of Marantz speakers designed by Ed May formerly of JBL are generally well regarded also. I love my HD-880’s mated with the 2325 Receiver. Great sounding combination!

Yes, the HD and DS series of Marantz speakers designed by Ed May formerly of JBL are generally well regarded also. I love my HD-880’s mated with the 2325 Receiver. Great sounding combination!
I have two sets of speakers that I really love, but I'm infatuated with the HD-880's. I'm keeping my eyes on CL for a decent pair at a decent price. I don't NEED them, so I can be patient. :thumbsup:

Are you sure it's the driver making that clunk? I mean you've switched channels and it's not your amp, and switched woofers so you know it's not the crossover etc.?

If you're sure it's the woofer it may have a separated spider. Inspect carefully and make sure it hasn't become disconnected from either the basket or the cone.

Do these woofers have foam surrounds and are they OK?

Sorry for the lag in the response- I'm pretty sure it's the driver- It's THAT speaker, and I've used it with several different cables in several different places on 3 different receivers. I haven't switched drivers- it's been a while, so I don't recall if I've even opened the cabinet.

Again, it's been a while, but I recall the surrounds to be kind of like rubber, and they look and appear to move OK.

If it is a separated spider- is the fix 'epoxy/clamp' as @Sam Cogley suggested, or is it new driver time?

This is something that's WAY on the back burner-

Last edited:
I love my Imperial 6s......And they are fairly bass forward, even at low volumes. If they are "clunking" it sounds like a seperated spider like toxcrusadr suggested.

25443091_1746780955341844_8205492183942552749_n.jpg

I see you have the "Exorcist Green" grilles as well.

That was actually THE selling point of the speakers to me. The fact they sounded really nice and the figuring in the wood was just icing on the cake. :D

I see you have the "Exorcist Green" grilles as well.

That was actually THE selling point of the speakers to me. The fact they sounded really nice and the figuring in the wood was just icing on the cake. :D

They dont look green to me....more of a tan. I do have some color blindness but not usually in that color. The walnut veneer is indeed very pretty and I like they were not stained very dark, although I do like dark walnut stain. I bought mine without even hearing them.....they got such good reviews that when I saw them on CL last year (for the princely sum of $65) I just bought them on the spot.

There is a another pair for sale locally (6-Gs) that somebody has re finished and put a bunch of poly on. I hate real wood made to look super shiny (I dont want my speakers looking like the fake wood on the inside of a 1998 Buick) and I dont like the color of these. They also have a grill I dont like.

24993529_10211068835659613_1665800619412736312_n.jpg

24862464_10211068835179601_1456471797288792717_n.jpg

Last edited:
If you have a separated spider you have nothing to lose by attempting to reattach it. If it doesn't work you can still replace the driver, but if it does, you've saved a lot of cash and kept a driver out of the scrap pile.

The separated spider fix is actually pretty easy, and i'm far from the only person here who has done it.

Back
Top Bottom