Sherwood appreciation weekend

rkgren1

I have my speakers in the living room system hooked up through an impedance matching switch that has a dual amp capability. Using a input selection switch connected in reverse, for the past few weeks I have been swapping receivers into the system, and comparing them to the refurbished Pioneer SX-950 that is the basis for that system. For each comparison both sets of tone controls are set flat and the volume knobs are set to equal intensity as best I can manage by ear. I alternately to Youtube music or a CD player. I was using Grafyx SP-8 speakers as my primary output. So far, I have compared the 950 to 3 Pioneers; a 636, a 1000TW, a Model 300, as well as an Onkyo TX-3000. I can easily distinguish between the 950 and the other units. They all have their differences, but the 950 always seems to carry the day on clarity and having enough low frequency authority to be called 'warm-sounding', an attribute that I like.

This weekend I swapped in my Sherwood 7100-A. I generally refurbish equipment that I like, but this Sherwood happens to be untouched. It has apparently lived a charmed life, it was clean as a pin inside and out as I got it, and I have always liked its sound as-is.

My conclusion after 3 days of comparing the two is that this particular S7100-A sounds exactly like the 950. The Sherwood obviously has way less (factor 6X) power. But the overall nature of its output at modest (plenty loud) power levels is identical to my ears to the 950. Same stomping bass, same clear midrange, and same detailed high frequencies. After toggling back and forth between the two many times, I often had to look at the switch positions to see which one is playing.

I found this surprising. I expected the Sherwood to fall short on sound quality compared to a nearly as-new SX-950, given that it is 7 years older, and has had no maintenance. But it doesn't. The two receivers are twins with respect to how they drive these speakers.

I have always said that this Sherwood receiver is 'as good as anything else in the house', and this weekend of A/B testing has proved it to me in a way that is far more convincing than walking between setups in different rooms. Within its limits the little Sherwood really is as good as my best receiver.

edit: forgot the picture
sx950+s7100a.jpg

Last edited:
I have a s7100a that static electricity took out.Sweet sounding receiver.One of the few 70s receivers I kept out of many.

The S7100A is definitely one of my favourite receivers. Have one currently in my main listening room, replacing a Yamaha CA1010, and I am in no hurry to change the setup.

The ability to test at will brings much to light in the would of vintage. The S8900a is taking on all challengers. So far.

Attachments

• P4160002.JPG
    P4160002.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 59
LesE
I did. Only because the 7100a ran out of steam on the big dynamics. I figured if 20 was good 60 would be better.
It is. Yes, get one.

My primary receiver these days is a Fisher 500C, but it's nice to have a S8900A to swap in every so often, like tonight after reading this thread. Does a really nice job driving AR2 speakers. And the phono is excellent.

0908170926.jpg

FWIW -- Pretty sure that the unsuffixed S-7100, as was typical in fairly early ss amplifiers and receivers, had interstage transformers, not output transformers.
https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=vintage&m=202868

Right. I wasn't suggesting that the outputs were transformer coupled to the speakers. The output transistors are coupled to the previous stage using transformers as you mentioned. The output transistors are capacitor coupled to the speakers. I should have explained in greater detail.

I love my S8910. And my 14 year old son, has a S7210A

Attachments

• 20180314_191244.jpg
    20180314_191244.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 24
I love my Sherwood 7300 and 7310. Paired with JBL L36 and Thorens 147 it's hard to not sit and listen. Two problems are the combo
power switch/volume control and a pop in speakers when power turned on and off. I had to part out a 7200 to get a workable switch. I use a switched power out let to turn on and off power to save the switch. Do I need to recap to get rid of the popping?

I love my Sherwood 7300 and 7310. Paired with JBL L36 and Thorens 147 it's hard to not sit and listen. Two problems are the combo
power switch/volume control and a pop in speakers when power turned on and off. I had to part out a 7200 to get a workable switch. I use a switched power out let to turn on and off power to save the switch. Do I need to recap to get rid of the popping?
Repairing the Sherwood power switch is addressed in this thread.

I repaired the power switch in my S-7200 using a 3D printed part which turned out reasonably well.

Les

Wow. I have the switch I parted out so I am going to follow your instructions. Now how about the popping when the power is turned
on and off?. This only happens on my 7300 not my 7310. Also has anyone tried the Dynaquad option on some of the Sherwood's?

Back
Top Bottom