Pioneer SX-780

WhatsAAudio

Theres a person in my area selling a Pioneer SX-780 (I'm not affiliated with the seller in any way) on craigslist and I love how the classic Pioneers look but, sadly, I have never listened to one. He says that he'd sell it to me for $120, is that a good price for this receiver?

eBay says yes, keep in mind the broken power arm that you'll have to replace, among probably some other restoration.

Ebay 'Completed Sales' is your friend for this type of inquiry.
It is truly current.
Markets go up and down.

eBay says yes, keep in mind the broken power arm that you'll have to replace, among probably some other restoration.
That's true, what other restoration should I take into account? (Minus the cleaning and such)

Ebay 'Completed Sales' is your friend for this type of inquiry.
It is truly current.
Markets go up and down.
Good point, I was just seeing if other people enjoyed how it sounds/thought it was worth it.

That's true, what other restoration should I take into account? (Minus the cleaning and such)

Good point, I was just seeing if other people enjoyed how it sounds/thought it was worth it.
Power supplies on Pioneers are known for getting much too hot, I think this is an affected unit. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't claim to know everything and I could very well be wrong but, if he were close to me I'd go pick it up.
For a well working model I think that's about 1/2 price or less not counting the speakers with the deal.

Power supplies on Pioneers are known for getting much too hot, I think this is an affected unit. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I'll just liquid cool it (joking of course), is there any way to remedy it or is it a, replace ASAP kind of thing?

I don't claim to know everything and I could very well be wrong but, if he were close to me I'd go pick it up.
For a well working model I think that's about 1/2 price or less not counting the speakers with the deal.
I appreciate your humbleness and are the speakers worth picking up too? Since I know much less about the speakers listed.

I'll just liquid cool it (joking of course), is there any way to remedy it or is it a, replace ASAP kind of thing?

I appreciate your humbleness and are the speakers worth picking up too? Since I know much less about the speakers listed.
Rebuild the power supply. In visibly hot areas, replace resistors to a higher wattage, and replace the transistors with new and bigger heatsinks. Recap with 105 rated caps, Nichicon PW/VZ or Panasonic FC/FM would all work great.

Speakers are all crap or eh except the KEF's.

Rebuild the power supply. In visibly hot areas, replace resistors to a higher wattage, and replace the transistors with new and bigger heatsinks. Recap with 105 rated caps, Nichicon PW/VZ or Panasonic FC/FM would all work great.

Speakers are all crap or eh except the KEF's.
Ah, so do that right when I get it? Or wait until I see how it performs. Also, thank you all for answering my questions, a nice welcome to the community.

Ah, so do that right when I get it? Or wait until I see how it performs. Also, thank you all for answering my questions, a nice welcome to the community.
Would be best to do ASAP, before more damage is done. No problem, happy to give advice. Hope you buy it and enjoy it.

Nice sounding, good looking. I found a very clean one for $13. It works fine, but I also know I will need to replace some parts in the power supply and add at leased one heat sink on a regulator along with reflowing some solder joints. But for $13 I was all in. I just passed on one for $30 with bad solder joints. I did post it here for others to see. That being said mine is working fine after all these years as is so far.

Nice sounding, good looking. I found a very clean one for $13. It works fine, but I also know I will need to replace some parts in the power supply and add at leased one heat sink on a regulator along with reflowing some solder joints. But for $13 I was all in. I just passed on one for $30 with bad solder joints. I did post it here for others to see. That being said mine is working fine after all these years as is so far.
Gosh what a steal, and placing heatsinks on the regulator is a normal thing I'm assuming?

Of the 10 vintage receivers that I have bought, I sold one, gave another way, continue to use one as-is, have another two in the queue for eventual repair, and I refurbished the other five.
All five needed the work, and sounded much better after getting it.
That receiver does not look like some pampered cream puff.
I would expect it to need extensive work, and then hope for a pleasant surprise.

Having someone do the work for you is not a viable option if you weigh repair costs against post-rebuild resale value.
The 780 (and most of the x80-series) has integrated power amplifiers that must be replaced as units, and are difficult to find.

I would not buy this receiver without carrying a set of small speakers / headphones with me to assure myself that both power amps are working properly.
Without clean sound on both channels I would walk away and find another, nicer unit in excellent condition.

1970s Pioneer receivers are not hard to find.
I bet a WTB post to Barter Town will turn one up very quickly.

Earlier Pioneers did not rely on the integrated power amps.
The SX-x50 series look very similar, but without the black power meters.

HiFi engine has docs: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/sx-780.shtml

1970s Pioneer receivers are not hard to find.
I bet a WTB post to Barter Town will turn one up very quickly.

Earlier Pioneers did not rely on the integrated power amps.
The SX-x50 series look very similar, but without the black power meters.

HiFi engine has docs: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/sx-780.shtml
Good point, I've been contemplating subscribing for the Barter Town, and maybe I will, since you're bringing up a lot of good points, especially with the state that it's in.

Back
Top Bottom