What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

The Switched On Bach tape came today. The starting bid was really low and I got it for a dollar more than that.

index.php
index.php

I recall this caused a bit of a stir when released. Some liked it, some thought it a sort of musical sacrilege. I never heard it until now, and I like it.
:thumbsup:
That was really fast. Or should I say reely fast.
It's a remarkable album in my opinion, but I'm not a purist and I can see where purists might find it off putting. To me it helped introduce serious classical music to people who otherwise wouldn't have been inclined to seek it out.

Carlos got some incredible sounds out of that early moog and I feel he/she paid great homage to the music.

I just noticed. Your RTR credits Walter Carlos with the performance. My vinyl credits Wendy Carlos. o_O
This was one confused and convoluted individual.
027.jpg

Blues At Newport Recorded Live at the Newport Folk Festival 1963. Brownie McGhee and Sonny Terry, John Lee Hooker, and Mississippi John Hurt making his first major public appearance at the age of 71. This recording is John Hurt's first since the late 1920's.
What a life story.

R-2742532-1299097900.jpeg.jpg

934903a4c03d3d909724d427d59c609c.jpg

Mississippi John Hurt at Newport July 1963

Re: Record Store Day, for the uninitiated, it is an industry-wide promotion that has been going for many years now. Many unique exclusives are offered. They have something similar for the comic book/graphic novel industry.

Unfortunately, the good grass-roots idea has become somewhat over-the-top corporatized and prices out a lot of the smaller dealers and shops, and the equivalent of ticket-scalpers buy up a lot of the exclusive product then jack the prices tenfold on eBay the next day. So there have been some bumps in the road.

Re: My listening tonight, things are looking grim. Some homefront issues and the late hour are conspiring to deny me, but I'm still trying to sneak a side in, or part of a podcast before lights-out.

GJ
Just try to get some sleep, GJ...might I suggest a pint of Old Harper?

Squirrel Nut Zippers. I never see this band posted. I own their Christmas album and a few of us were posting it last Christmas.

A friend of mine from work owned their first four CD's back in the early double naughts. He loaned them to me and I made some copies. "Hell" had been a huge hit for them a few years earlier and I was intrigued.
It's pretty incredible stuff. I never listen to it much. This is the first spin for this since moving to Delaware five years ago.
030.jpg

He went to PIT in the late 80s, Studied with some heavyweight fusion guys... he use to love to mess around with subdivisions and meter changes to shake me (never could ;) I'm a feel / groove player who can generally own the pulse). I played in a jazz inspired rock band for a bit, and I slummed it on rhythm guitar in his classic / alt rock cover band (we played Long Beach Island to Brigantine summer night clubs) for a bit.

Here are 2 tracks from our original band...
http://myselfalone.com/tracks/mp3s/Bebop_Gypsy-Better_Way.mp3
http://myselfalone.com/tracks/mp3s/Bebop_Gypsy-Shade_of_the_sun.mp3
(1/2 way through the second one we drop down to a swing)

He moved to Texas 15 years back or so, still plays regularly (also owns an NJ shore style eatery... cheese steaks, water ice, panini, etc) his boy plays well too and has done some fairly big local shows in whatever the rock/punk/emo/pop the kids are playing today is called.
Thanks, bookmarked.

:thumbsup:
That was really fast. Or should I say reely fast.
It's a remarkable album in my opinion, but I'm not a purist and I can see where purists might find it off putting. To me it helped introduce serious classical music to people who otherwise wouldn't have been inclined to seek it out.

Carlos got some incredible sounds out of that early moog and I feel he/she paid great homage to the music.

I just noticed. Your RTR credits Walter Carlos with the performance. My vinyl credits Wendy Carlos. o_O
This was one confused and convoluted individual.
027.jpg
Now that you mention it I think I have seen the version credited to Wendy.

The tape is MQ 1042. A note at the bottom says Stereo Disc MS 7194. What's yours?

Made it through about six songs of the Squirrel Nut Zippers...that stuff always reminds me of The Ricky Ricardo Band on I Love Lucy. It's fine but it's not where I generally go. It'd be better for background music while I'm doing something else.
However the Latin rhythms did make go to a Prog album with serious Latin American influence. I had forgotten that I'd digitized the vinyl ages ago. Once again this is a CD-R of my original vinyl...I've been lazy all day. Next thing you know I'll just be posting youtube video's and not bothering to say anything at all...just point and click all day long.

Patrick Moraz ~The Story Of i
1976 Atlantic SD 18175

https://www.discogs.com/Patrick-Moraz-The-Story-Of-i/master/18035
037.jpg

Back
Top Bottom