Recommend an SACD player ...

I currently own an Oppo BDP-103. While this is an excellent (reference) Bluray player it does leave a lot to desire for CD and SACD playback. It does perform well with the limited selection of multi-channel DVD-A and SACDs that I own.

I am looking hard at the BDP-105D. I mean who wouldn't? I like the idea that it has numerous outputs. This would allow me to feed the 7.1 outputs in my HT pre/pro and the XLR outputs into my C100. I would prefer a fully balanced design and the Oppo cites differential outputs.

OTOH, I could leave the BDP-103 as is and continue to use it for movies. Then I could buy a dedicated disc player. If I did that I was considering the McIntosh MCD machines.

Other suggestions? Maybe even a reference player of days passed that still performs well? A fully balanced design would be a major plus.
I'm surprised that nobody has suggested a two box approach using the Oppo 103 in combination with a DSD capable DAC. It didn't used to be possible to have a two-box SACD player, but it is today if you install a Vanity HD card inside of an Oppo 103.

I'm surprised that nobody has suggested a two box approach using the Oppo 103 in combination with a DSD capable DAC. It didn't used to be possible to have a two-box SACD player, but it is today if you install a Vanity HD card inside of an Oppo 103.

For that you need DSD DAC with HDMI input. There are no many models exist. More common are AV receivers and processors offering pure DSD path. Most top models from Denon and Onkyo has this feature.

For that you need DSD DAC with HDMI input. There are no many models exist. More common are AV receivers and processors offering pure DSD path. Most top models from Denon and Onkyo has this feature.
Actually that answer is not correct any longer. With a Vanity HD card installed inside of an Oppo 103 you can get DSD via DoP over SP/DIF. I know for a fact that this is true since I have been successfully playing SACDs with this configuration myself for about 8 months now.

Last edited:
That's cool for sure but it looks like it kills the 5.1 analog outputs that I use for Bluray soundtracks. And, it's not cheap.

That's cool for sure but it looks like it kills the 5.1 analog outputs that I use for Bluray soundtracks. And, it's not cheap.
True. It's not a cheap option, and it means that if you need 5.1 analog, then you will need a 5.1 capable DAC as well. So this would not be a good choice for you.

But the fact that it is finally possible to have a two-box SACD player is extremely cool.

If wanting to buy new I don't have any experience with this one but it sure looks nice, and the price won't break the bank.
pd10silverlrg.jpg

Actually that answer is not correct any longer. With a Vanity HD card installed inside of an Oppo 103 you can get DSD via DoP over SP/DIF. I know for a fact that this is true since I have been successfully playing SACDs with this configuration myself for about 8 months now.

I know about add-on cards. There were cards for older Oppo players too which allowed multi-channel high-res output via three s/pdif interfaces. I do not think that Oppo DAC in DSD mode is worse than most standalone DSD DACs. Also if you check - most DSD DACs only support DoP via USB. So my opinion is that Oppo is one of the best options for SACD and DSD files playback. If we are talking about multi-channel playback - then external DAC can be a better option mostly because one can use room correction processor in between. By the way - do you know any standalone multi-channel DSD DAC?

I know about add-on cards. There were cards for older Oppo players too which allowed multi-channel high-res output via three s/pdif interfaces. I do not think that Oppo DAC in DSD mode is worse than most standalone DSD DACs. Also if you check - most DSD DACs only support DoP via USB. So my opinion is that Oppo is one of the best options for SACD and DSD files playback. If we are talking about multi-channel playback - then external DAC can be a better option mostly because one can use room correction processor in between. By the way - do you know any standalone multi-channel DSD DAC?
DSD over DoP via SP/DIF is not a super common feature, but there are still quite a number of DACs which support this mode of transport. I'm using a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC in this mode. But it is far from the only one which supports it. I believe that Chord's DACs support this mode as well exaSound's DACs. Sorry, but I haven't researched how many other units support this mode of communication, but I'm pretty sure that these are not the only ones.

As far as multichannel DAC goes: exaSound makes at least one model.

And I don't disagree with you the that Oppo makes some excellent players. But it sounded like the OP might be considering something slightly higher up the food chain.

Last edited:
So we have only one. And it uses the same DAC chips as Oppo.
You appear to be somewhat hostile to my suggestions above and seem to be trivializing every factual point I which I have made so far. The OP was asking for SACD player suggestions, and I was merely pointing-out that there is a whole new direction which is possible now which most people are completely unaware of in terms of using a two-box SACD player now.

For the record: I have nothing against Oppos. In fact I think that they are tremendous values. And I am not attempting to dissuade somebody away from an Oppo if that is what they desire. But as good as Oppos are, they are not the very last word in sonics.

The exaSound may use the same chips as the Oppo, but a number of people report that it sounds better. It should be noted that there is quite a bit more to the design of a DAC than just the chip. The implementation is everything.

And as to the multichannel aspect: I know two different people who run 3 parallel stereo DACs for surround sound in their systems. Obviously this is not a cost effective approach. But it is still possible. And I'm just pointing out the versatility here for those people who, like myself, have wished to own a 2-box SACD player forever.

Last edited:
Well, I snagged a UDP-205 before the pricing went insane ...
Good move. Now you have the base for the ultimate player that will not be outdone. Lots going on at DIY in regards to this. I got Oppo Mod's LPM SE upgrade for the 205. This is already a fabulous player but this upgrade will make your head spin. Just the beginning

Back
Top Bottom