Burson V6 Vivid Dual vs. Sparkos SS3602 Dual

Which would you choose?

• Burson V6 Vivid Dual

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Sparkos SS3602 Dual

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters

jberenyi

I'm thinking of upgrading and would like some opinions on two different OP amps for my Maverick DAC 1 Plus. The two choices are the Sparkos SS3602 Dual and the Burson V6 Vivid Dual. Price is a wash between the two. Currently using the OPA627. Each of these OP amps are about $145 shipped and I wonder if the average person will really hear a difference with upgrading to either of the above choices. It's close to 75% of the cost of the DAC unit purchase.

PS: Don't forget to cast your vote :)

Last edited:
I'm opposite of BigElCat, i can't speak to Burson, but i swapped OPA627's (which was a upgrade over the OPA2604) to the Sparkos, and there was a noticeable improvement in my D2

Now that I think of this a bit clearer, I had/have the singles. The Sparkos Lab was a bit on the bright side.

Yeah I'm running my D2 w/Sparkos into a MP-301 tube amp.. no brightness, just rich spatial smoothness for me. This is also on the D2's Tube Pre Out, using Telsa 6cc42 tube

Last edited:
Yeah I'm running my D2 w/Sparkos into a MP-301 tube amp.. no brightness, just rich spatial smoothness for me. This is also on the D2's Tube Pre Out, using Telsa 6cc42 tube
I agree, and the Tesla is the best I have rolled in my D1 plus, it's staying. I have 4 new NOS ones ($35 for all for), but apparently their lifespan is incredible. May outlast the Maverick!!
I found the Sparko to be a subtle improvement over the Maverick upgrade op amp (left the headphone opamp alone). The Tesla was a huge upgrade over the GE. Fuller bass, without being mushy. Well worth the price of admission.

I wanted to try the Bursons in my D2 but didn't someone (Skizo?) get them and they were too tall or something....and they wouldn't fit in the case?

Also, at the time I remember something goofy with Burson's site and I couldn't order. I have no reason to change the Sparkos but that's never stopped me from experimenting in the past. Ya never know.....

Burson sells little wire harness extensions that allow you to install them where space is an issue. In my crossover I use them as they are too tall for normal installation. They lay on their side while plugged into the wire harness.

Interesting..as for the tubes. I was talking with a new old friend, who was in the tv/electronics repair business for years.
He had some interesting things to say on tubes. He mentioned the good tubes will hold their "specs" under load and not drift much. He also mentioned, concerning this size tube. Particular tubes of the same number where designed for specific purposes. Some low frequency oscillation (like the Tesla), other for a more wideband use. He gave me a couple 70's (I think) reflector corp military tubes to try.
I did notice that the Tesla had a fuller low frequency response then the GE upgrade tube. Not mushy, just fuller.
Apparently the getter part has really little to do with the performance.
I haven't really heard a comparison of the Burson vs Sparko in a D1/D2. I wonder is some of the difference simply has to do with what piece of equipment its going into.
I have to say, the D1 is really a amazing/fun and great sounding piece of equipment.
It, along with my NOS Dac's have really changed how I listen to music it. Made it fun again!!
As a side note, the Maverick D1 with the Tesla has much of that NOS sound.
I think anyone that is really tired, or growing tired of their digital sources should seriously look at the Maverick, or NOS options.
In most cases they are pretty good bargains. Considering the value, and sound quality you get for your investment. Not to mention the fun!!

Last edited:
Based on the voting I ordered and installed the Sparkos OP amps. Very nice but only when outputting to my receiver. When using the headphones I hear an annoying whistling sound in the headphones from 0 to 1/2 volume rotation. I tried switching positions of the OP amps and still the same high pitched whistling sound. I put the old OP amps back in and no whistling sound as I expected. Its too bad because I was starting to like them. For reference I have the Maverick D1 Plus. I am returning the Sparkos amps for refund today. I may try the Burson's.

Based on the voting I ordered and installed the Sparkos OP amps. Very nice but only when outputting to my receiver. When using the headphones I hear an annoying whistling sound in the headphones from 0 to 1/2 volume rotation. I tried switching positions of the OP amps and still the same high pitched whistling sound. I put the old OP amps back in and no whistling sound as I expected. Its too bad because I was starting to like them. For reference I have the Maverick D1 Plus. I am returning the Sparkos amps for refund today. I may try the Burson's.
You might try these loaded with AD797s.. i don't know if you'd need 797A or 797B.

https://www.cimarrontechnology.com/browndog-020302-single-to-dual-op-amp-adapter

They're a little less expensive than the Bursons, another AKer says they're great.

Did you talk to Mr. Sparks? He generally knows what is causing any oddities and can recommend a simple fix.

The op amps are going back to Sparkos for a refund. Andrew was not sure why the amps were causing this issue in headphone mode on the DAC1 Plus but then again he never tested it on this model. He thought maybe the op amps needed a coupling capacitor but I'm not willing to deal with testing and trail and error and such. We also have to consider the fact that Sparkos op amps are bipolar designed and the DAC was designed for FET op amps. This could be a viable issue but not sure. Anyhow I may consider getting the Burson since it is FET based but for now I will just keep listening with the OPA627 op amps. Its really too bad because the Sparkos op amps sounded so nice with certain songs when hooked to my SX-1050 receiver and JBL L112's.

P.S. Andrew was a joy to work with during this endeavor. He is a stellar businessman. When he receives the op amps he will test them and get back with me.

Last edited:
I have both the 3602's and the Vivids. The Vivids are just that - vivid. They have an up-front, immediate sound. They are mid-focused and have great vocal detail. I owned the 3602's first and have about triple the amount of time on them. They were bright and tilted-up in the treble at first but after some time they have really "bloomed". They seem to have more apparent width and depth to their staging and vocals are slightly more distant. They also take a while to "warm up" when first turned on. Between the two I think I like the Sparkos better with my HP setup than the Bursons, but I could live with either (and indeed I switch up sometimes for a different "flavor"). This is with my HP setup consisting of DAC with the opamps installed in a Gustard H20 HP amp/preamp driving Hifman Aryas and Anandas. The Bursons are slightly better with my speakers because they're slightly more mid focused and forward and my speakers like that extra mid and treble focus. In simper terms: Bursons description: A studio clean recording/reproduction; Sparkos description: An engaging analog-like reproduction.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom