Basement System

rgbeach

We refinished our basement last fall, after having some water damage in the spring. We replaced the carpeting with vinyl planks, painted the walls, and reorganized a bit. We're really happy with the result.

I also was able to reconfigure the audio system down there. The system consists of:

Fisher 500C Receiver - I refurbished this myself several years ago. It was my first electronics project in a long, long time. I really had no idea what I was doing, but I followed the instructions and it turned out alright.

Pioneer PL-112D - this is the first turntable that I bought when getting back in vinyl several years ago. It's running a Shure M91 cartridge.

NAD 502 - I bought this CD player for $20 shipped. The display wasn't working, but that was due to blown bulbs, which were easily replaced. I then incorporate a tube output stage using a Lampizator kit.

Sonos Zone Player feeding a home made DAC - The DAC is an interesting story. I had a pair of Roland digital monitors that sounded great, but eventually one of the pair stopped working. I didn't want to throw them away, so I repurposed them into passive monitors, pulling out all the active electronics and replacing with home made crossovers. Then, I wanted to do something with the electronics and the DAC stage was it's own board, with pins for power, digital in, and analog out. So, I built a power supply with the +/- voltages required by the board, and mounted the whole assembly in an old Sony DirecTV chassis. It's "only" 16/44.1, but it sounds very nice.

Dynaco A-25 Speakers - I did a light refinish on the cabinets, refurbed the grills with twill, and rebuilt the crossovers.

That's it. The system is mostly used for late night or early morning listening when the family is asleep.

Thanks for looking!

20180412_110911.jpg 20180412_110923.jpg 20180412_110945.jpg

Wonderful system. Funny how the Fisher rec, Pioneer tt, and Dynaco spkr would have been an average system back in the day.

Wonderful system. Funny how the Fisher rec, Pioneer tt, and Dynaco spkr would have been an average system back in the day.

Thanks! I'm certain that it is still an average system (at best), but I enjoy it.

I especially like that it's all old gear that would probably have ended up in a trash bin at some point.

Back
Top Bottom