Photo's of next winters fuel supply..

Nice looking trucks! Mine's a bit banged up from use.

Here's the back end of my Ranger at least, with my buddy Carl and the top ends of some big oaks that went down on his property. We logged out the bigger parts for the sawmill. Too nice to burn!

River white oak cuttin with carl 2017.JPG

About 2 ft diameter and at least 30 ft to the first branch...gonna make some nice boards and slabs.
River white oak logs 1.JPG

As long as we are showing firewood in our Rangers, here is a picture I dug up from a couple years ago.. My 98 is pretty much a beater truck now, but it has served me well since I bought it new 20 years ago!
It has a 7' box and I welded up the rack years ago.. I have had trucks that would haul much more (see the 65 Chevy in the background) but few trucks I have owned has worked harder, with as few problems as the little green Ranger!
Capture.JPG

Ok technically this was my last 2 yrs. ..........and what's left is about 1/3 of it. If anyone wants to see what it cost me........I can post that too. Accidents do happen. Still love that fiskars tho. Haven't swung it since

Attachments

• IMG_0439.JPG
    IMG_0439.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 16
Not sure about steam....but the only time I think I can handle it... I'm alcohol powered.....if that makes sense.

Here's my 372XP. It's a very good saw and used by a lot of professional loggers. I've been working on this pile of wood for the last couple days and when I get it split I might cut some more but won't split it.

IMG_1220.JPG

Here's my 372XP. It's a very good saw and used by a lot of professional loggers. I've been working on this pile of wood for the last couple days and when I get it split I might cut some more but won't split it.

View attachment 1166443

Nice saw you got there.. I am kinda missing my big saw too now that this delivery came. The Stihl is really just a bit small with just a 20" bar and can't quite get through some of the logs. My old Husq 395 had a 36" with enough omph to roar through about anything I am likely to find around here.
Too bad it's not like stereo equipment, can't have a saw for every need!

I've been heating with nothing but wood for the last 20 years.The last house we had was across the road from a mill so being good neighbors we always had all the free fire wood we wanted (I miss that). When we moved here 12 years ago we took the Fisher stove from the house with us and it's been heating our 70's built crappy old mobile ever since. My saw is a basic small 170 series Stihl with a 14" bar. Bigger would be nice but the little thing is able to do most of what I need it to do. Splitting is all done with an electric 6 ton splitter now. The last year I split by hand my left elbow swelled up like a soft ball so I said screw that, time for a log splitter. Between the house and my shop/music room I burn about 5 cords a year,give or take. Some day when I'm to old and feeble for doing all this crap I'll get the natural gas turned back on, but not before I get all new windows (Don't like heating the whole block) ;)

55 I here you on the windows.I put all new windows in my place and siding and strapped insulation and big difference in a 100 year plus house.I don't like splitting wood and whine when I have to unlike the guy next to a friend of mine that sells wood who did approx. 1000-1500 cords.Theres a place just at the edge of town that deals with druggies ,youth criminals ,etc and they cut and split a lot of wood also.

Last edited:
Nice saw you got there.. I am kinda missing my big saw too now that this delivery came. The Stihl is really just a bit small with just a 20" bar and can't quite get through some of the logs. My old Husq 395 had a 36" with enough omph to roar through about anything I am likely to find around here.
Too bad it's not like stereo equipment, can't have a saw for every need!

Thanks. I bought the 372XP with a 20" bar and then bought the 24" bar (on it in the picture) afterwards. In hindsight I think I should've bought at least a 28" bar because it would have handled it with ease. I can't imagine how that 395XP cuts being a lot bigger than my 372XP that is a fairly good size saw with 70.7 cc's. I'd love to try a 395XP out in some real big wood but for what I do I don't think I'd need one full time. I bet sawing with it in big wood is like cutting butter with a hot knife.

I've just about got saws for every need. I've got the little Makita (rebadged Dolmar) for small stuff less than 8" that is if I have a lot of it. I don't remember how many cc's it is but it isn't very big and is very light. I've got my 346XP with an 18" bar that's 46cc's. It's light and cuts really good for it's size. I've got a Husky 359 that's 59cc's. It's between a homeowner model and a pro model. It's a good saw but is a little too small for the big stuff and a little too heavy for the smaller stuff. The bars will interchange with it and the 372. Then I've got the 372XP. I bought my saws all new several years ago and have quite a bit of money in them but they've saved me a lot through the years.

I've got a chainsaw grinder that makes it a lot easier than a file. I've got to sharpen some chains tomorrow. I've got a 22 ton splitter that I couldn't do without. I'm too old and maybe too lazy to use a maul again. I've got an old Fisher Grandpa Bear that I bought probably 35 years ago and it puts out some heat. Now I just need to get a front end loader for my tractor to make the lifting and moving easier.

I love the wood heat and actually like cutting and splitting the wood until I get tired.

Got me a $99 electric chain sharpener - free and in need of repair. Looked barely used, tossed out with all the packaging and 3 sizes of grinding wheels at the farm supply. The case was cast pot metal and cracked at a stress point. I screwed a piece of steel over the cracked part and have been using it for a couple of years. Not pro grade but it works and they're charging $7 a pop for sharpening around here these days.

Here's the start of next years wood,,, gathered from township crews' storm clean up, and some down trees in the area...
Also, some of the saws I found and rebuilt... Hard to make much progress this year, as its the middle of April, and the stove is still burning!!

Attachments

• PB260011.JPG
    PB260011.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 9
  • PB260013.JPG
    PB260013.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 9
Started the laborious task of bucking and splitting this pile.. woah those rounds are heavy! they are around 24" in diameter and about 22 inches long (My Jotul takes up to 24") I estimate them to be well over 100 lbs, perhaps closer to 150! The water runs out of it when the splitter starts tom cut in, like a soaked sponge. I can roll them onto the log splitter with an aluminum ramp, break it into 3rds or so and can then handle it..

Capture.JPG

Here's the start of next years wood,,, gathered from township crews' storm clean up, and some down trees in the area...
Also, some of the saws I found and rebuilt... Hard to make much progress this year, as its the middle of April, and the stove is still burning!!
Looks great! I like the neat stacks cross linked on pallets. Yeah my stove is still burning twice a day too. Cold windy and rain/snow the past few days

Just the end piers are crossed, to hold the rows... Low 40's this morning,,, gonna be a long burning season if this weather doesn't change... we actually had snow flurries the other day, something is not right!!!!
20" bars are my longest,,, keeps me from struggling with logs I can't handle,,, The big old Mac's are retired now,,, like me!

Started the laborious task of bucking and splitting this pile.. woah those rounds are heavy! they are around 24" in diameter and about 22 inches long (My Jotul takes up to 24") I estimate them to be well over 100 lbs, perhaps closer to 150! The water runs out of it when the splitter starts tom cut in, like a soaked sponge. I can roll them onto the log splitter with an aluminum ramp, break it into 3rds or so and can then handle it..

Good idea using that ramp. Most of the wood that I cut is away from home so when I get some big pieces I cut them in half or quarter them. I had some 42" oak one time that I cut each bucked piece into six pieces.

Here is what 27 tons of force can do to a 22" log round! Notice the water dripping out the bottom, an indication of just how heavy this wood is.

Back
Top Bottom