KEF 104/2 - The speaker gods have spoken

Hey All, I'll be sharing my KEF 104/2 journey soon. It has been a great ride.

Until then (apologies if this is not the correct forum for this request), I have two pairs of 104/2's I'll be doing all the requisite updates (Caps, Rings, Ferrofluid, etc.) then I'll keep the one that sounds the best.

Here is the request. It looks like someone was already mucking around in one of the pairs (Specifically, a newer Bi-wire post model). It seems they forget to put in the Upper Woofer access panel cover back one after opening it up. The Mid/Tweeter closes that off, but I'm sure it is not as tight as needed to keep those Woofers singing.

If anyone has parted out a pair of the bi-wire model, and still have the enclosures, I'd love to buy the MDF access panels from you. Ping me and let me know. They may be the same as the older model, but not sure.

These were the first "Holy Crap, those sound good" speakers I heard way back when I first started working in the late 80's. I always wanted a pair, but they were just out of reach of my budget. I'm super happy to have a pair (well, two pair). They sound so sweet.

Until then (apologies if this is not the correct forum for this request), I have two pairs of 104/2's I'll be doing all the requisite updates (Caps, Rings, Ferrofluid, etc.) then I'll keep the one that sounds the best.

Here is the request. It looks like someone was already mucking around in one of the pairs (Specifically, a newer Bi-wire post model). It seems they forget to put in the Upper Woofer access panel cover back one after opening it up. The Mid/Tweeter closes that off, but I'm sure it is not as tight as needed to keep those Woofers singing.

If anyone has parted out a pair of the bi-wire model, and still have the enclosures, I'd love to buy the MDF access panels from you. Ping me and let me know. They may be the same as the older model, but not sure.

These were the first "Holy Crap, those sound good" speakers I heard way back when I first started working in the late 80's. I always wanted a pair, but they were just out of reach of my budget. I'm super happy to have a pair (well, two pair). They sound so sweet.

Welcome aboard!
The bi-amp, later version did not have the screw-down access panel for the top woofer. It was de-contented. The opening is not the same size as older versions. Get some weather stripping instead.
They also removed the inner foam damping rings from the center tension pole between the woofers and replaced it with a thick black rubberized coating.
Some models also added a tweeter protection relay, the capacitors of which leak over time and should be replaced. (this is news to me, I just found out about this modification last week.)

You probably already know about the woofer foam, inner foam donuts, tweeter ferrofluid, and Falcon Acoustics UK cap upgrades, I presume?

Items for sale are only allowed to be posted in the Barter Town forum. To access Barter Town you have to be a subscribing member. Click the subscribe button in the upper right corner of the main page. Cost is $25.00 per year.

You can also post WTB (wanted to buy).

Items for sale are only allowed to be posted in the Barter Town forum. To access Barter Town you have to be a subscribing member. Click the subscribe button in the upper right corner of the main page. Cost is $25.00 per year.

You can also post WTB (wanted to buy).

???

Oh, sorry team, breached protocol. (new to this). Thanks for the buy/sell post warning. Seem from the reply from Rick above, that part does not exist. Learned my lesson though. Thanks!

Now, time to start back on page one and read through a few years of posts... Cheers.

Oh, sorry team, breached protocol. (new to this). Thanks for the buy/sell post warning. Seem from the reply from Rick above, that part does not exist. Learned my lesson though. Thanks!

Now, time to start back on page one and read through a few years of posts... Cheers.

I think you're fine. You're not trying to sell the speakers here, just getting advice.

I first heard a pair of these in a high-end shop when I was still a pup. They literally made me freeze and turn to see what was sounding so good. I guess that was the salesman's plan, because I was on the other side of the showroom, but made a beeline over to take a look and listen. They sounded amazing. but the cost was way too much, even for the young professional that I was.

A couple years later, my company moved me to Germany on a temp assignment. I had access to the Army Base Exchange. They had a great selection of high-end stuff including these KEFs, but again, they were just out of my reach, so a got a small pair of Polks.

Fast forward to a year ago, I found a pair of Boston Acoustics VR965's for $45 on Craigslist. The pic was all blurry, so I had no idea what the condition was but I grabbed them. They turned out to be in very good shape and are part of my AV system.

Finding those got me in the mood to set up a "critical listening room" in the spare bedroom. I went through a steady stream of components, all used. B&W, Marantz, NAD, Peachtree, Adcom. I have a feeling there are others reading this who can relate.

Remembering how much I liked the KEF 104/2's way back in the day, I decided to try the KEF LS50's (with Peachtree 125). I was so disappointed. Yes, the Peachtree has a great class d amp and a top-shelf DAC. And Yes, the LS50's were articulate and accurate. But There was something about the top of the midrange or bottom of the tweeter that grated my nerves. It gave me a "nails on the chalkboard/dentist drill feeling. I'm not saying they sounded that way, but they gave me the feeling I get when I hear that type of sound.

I know the LS50's need space front and behind the speaker, and I know the room treatments were not ideal, but I was building a listening system, not a shrine. I even reversed the polarity on one of them, placed them face to face and let them "break in" for a full weekend. No go. I wish I could have loved those because they were so accurate, but they just were not doing it for me.

So I sold them (actually traded them for one of my pairs of 104/2s + cash). I now have a pair of single post, and a pair of dual post 104/2s, plus a Mid/tweeter enclosure pair from eBay (bought for the T33s), plus a pair of crossovers (for the dual post), plus the caps, rings, etc.

My older pair is already fully restored. They are amazing. They had Midwest replacement tweeters when I bought them. I've now put T33s back in. They sound amazing.

I'll be refurbing the other pair as time allows.

I currently listen with a Parasound P5/A23 with a small Rel sub. I mostly listen to streaming via Chromecast (i know, I know...no need to tell me...) ;)

Now I just need to sell all the other components I bought along the way... I think my search for a good critical listening system is over for me.

That's my story... and I'm sticking to it. Cheers all.

Last edited:
Im really gutted that I have a pair of the single-post 104/2's. I think that making them biwirable would be a major undertaking.

The good news though is that a guy made contact with me - he was given his pair of 104/2's (identical to mine) by his uncle. He wants me to do work to recondition them. So I will be replacing the manky binding posts, the donuts and the old grille cloth, and making a tidy sum from doing that. Another plus is that I've ordered 8 x donuts in one burst, and saved on shipping costs, and can use his speakers as a test run for doing the same work on mine.

Congrats and welcome to the board. Fun stuff isn't it?!
You chose wisely. I have 104/2 in my office system.

Im really gutted that I have a pair of the single-post 104/2's. I think that making them biwirable would be a major undertaking.

The good news though is that a guy made contact with me - he was given his pair of 104/2's (identical to mine) by his uncle. He wants me to do work to recondition them. So I will be replacing the manky binding posts, the donuts and the old grille cloth, and making a tidy sum from doing that. Another plus is that I've ordered 8 x donuts in one burst, and saved on shipping costs, and can use his speakers as a test run for doing the same work on mine.

Ferrofluid?

Ferrofluid?
Yea I asked him about his tweeters - he said they still sounded good to him. He had done a bit of reading on the topic.

I also have absolutely no problem with my tweeters - they sound great.

I have read that if the tweeters sound OK, you dont need to re-fluid them. but if they sound quiet, dull, imbalanced - you may need to.

Do I understand wrong? Should this fluid be replaced as a matter of course? I'd rather not hack open the diaphragm in these tweeters unless i REALLY have to.

I'll let others give their opinion, but I did mine and the stuff was fairly mucky and limited so I am guessing it needed it. in general they are all probably old enough at this point that if you are doing everything else.....
It was easy.

Yea I asked him about his tweeters - he said they still sounded good to him. He had done a bit of reading on the topic.

I have read that if the tweeters sound OK, you dont need to re-fluid them. but if they sound quiet, dull, imbalanced - you may need to.

Do I understand wrong? Should this fluid be replaced as a matter of course? I'd rather not hack open the diaphragm in these tweeters unless i REALLY have to.

The ferrofluid isn't just a sonic issue. It provides cooling for the tweeters. It should be replaced even if you think they sound fine. Consider it preventative maintence, like changing the oil in your car. The good news is you should only need to do it once every 20 years, or so.

From another forum maintained by a former KEF employee:

"KEF used to use the now obsolete APG512 which you won't find on this site. From memory it was a 75cp fluid. i.e. the fluid was used primarily to increase conduction of heat to the metalwork, not to provide damping."

Replacing the ferrofluid is NOT an option. It must be done.

Hi everyone, new guy here and I've been reading through all your posts, your enthusiasm has inspired me to dig out my KEF 104/2s that I had in storage. I inherited these speakers 20 years ago from a dear friend who passed. I got to looking inside the porthole and indeed it seems my bass speakers have suffered the same fate as most of yours but only the centre portion as the outer ring is the rubber type and has survived. (see photo) I will strip these down hopefully over the next week or two for a closer inspection. Any opinions on the KEF Q7s? Thanks for adding me to your forum. 20180502_173241.jpg 20180502_165717.jpg

Hi everyone, new guy here and I've been reading through all your posts, your enthusiasm has inspired me to dig out my KEF 104/2s that I had in storage. I inherited these speakers 20 years ago from a dear friend who passed. I got to looking inside the porthole and indeed it seems my bass speakers have suffered the same fate as most of yours but only the centre portion as the outer ring is the rubber type and has survived. (see photo) I will strip these down hopefully over the next week or two for a closer inspection. Any opinions on the KEF Q7s? Thanks for adding me to your forum. View attachment 1177570 View attachment 1177571

Q7s are fantastic speakers. I had the Q9 for a while. I kept the 104/2, if that tells you anything from my POV.

Back
Top Bottom