Unexpected -- MAC6700 story

charne@sprin

Fell in love with music, then hiked the tech trail
Subscriber
Purchased a grade C1 MAC6700 a month or so ago from Audio Classics (outstanding service, great unit!, THANKS, guys). It replaced a Marantz PM7005 integrated amp, no slouch, itself (sold quickly on local CraigsList). But, the room in which that system was installed, my living room, was pretty much unused. Not so since the MAC6700 went in. I am now finding myself in my easy chair a whole lot -- listening to the TU2 FMHD tuner module -- WI Public Radio classic music service, local community HD jazz programming, also CDs, Internet radio (Classic FM from London a favorite), and just really enjoying the system. i did upgrade the tweeter drivers, and replace (Crites) the aging cross-overs in the Klipsch Chorus II speakers -- all in all, it was pri$$$ey, but completely worth it -- no buyer's remorse for the MAC or the speakers work.

My first career was in the record business. Music is my first love -- and we never forget our first love. The MAC6700 reignited that flame.

Last edited:
Congrats! I play my 6700 into Klipsch speakers too. The Klipsch speakers are so efficient that all you get is clean pure sound, and the 6700 hardly works up a sweat.

-Geoff

Congrats! I play my 6700 into Klipsch speakers too. The Klipsch speakers are so efficient that all you get is clean pure sound, and the 6700 hardly works up a sweat.

-Geoff
Noticed your graphic --- I do not think the meters on my MAC6700 have ever cranked that high. Seems like with the big Klipsch speakers, 2/10 of a watt gives me nice listening room volume levels. Even blasting away, maybe I cracked a watt once or twice.

I have a 6700 coming also. It should be here tomorrow. I will be driving a pair of Klipsch Palladium P37F's. It will be replacing a Sansui 9090DB that's in very good condition. The Sansui is a BRUTE. I am looking forward to a bit more refinement. Now to sell the receiver!!

Noticed your graphic --- I do not think the meters on my MAC6700 have ever cranked that high. Seems like with the big Klipsch speakers, 2/10 of a watt gives me nice listening room volume levels. Even blasting away, maybe I cracked a watt once or twice.
I bought my 6700 last fall, and the first speakers I tried were Magnepan .7's. They sounded incredible, but I had the thing cranked up into 80% range for normal listening, and the red protection lights were constantly flashing. After 10 minutes of listening, the fins were hot to the touch. I returned the Magnepans (the dealer actually took them back after six weeks) and bought the most efficient big speakers I could find - some RF7's. Now, like you said, the meters barely crack one watt, and the red lights have not been on since. The 6700 is barely warm after an hour. Much better!

-Geoff

I have a 6700 coming also. It should be here tomorrow. I will be driving a pair of Klipsch Palladium P37F's. It will be replacing a Sansui 9090DB that's in very good condition. The Sansui is a BRUTE. I am looking forward to a bit more refinement. Now to sell the receiver!!
You're the first person I've heard of that made that upgrade from the Sansui 9090DB -- I'm interested to hear how you compare the two once the MAC6700 is in. That 9090DB *is* a brute. But it is getting older and have you done any maintenance work on it?

You're the first person I've heard of that made that upgrade from the Sansui 9090DB -- I'm interested to hear how you compare the two once the MAC6700 is in. That 9090DB *is* a brute. But it is getting older and have you done any maintenance work on it?

Ok so it's in!! In short it's a night and day difference. The Sansui has been serviced but not a total restoration. It is in fine working order but really the Klipsch Palladiums are not the best match. They are a bit more of a "delicate flower" and reveal all that 70's grit and "texture". I think Geoff's Maggies would be a splendid match :).

Right now I'm running Tidal thru an Oppo Sonica using the balanced inputs. It's totally incredible. I haven't tried the onboard dac yet but I do have an iMac running to the usb in. I will try that out today. I'm not sure that the Sonica dac won't be better though. That thing is pretty sweet.

I also listened to a dozen or so album sides as I have a VPI Prime Scout w/ a Grado Reference Sonata2 plugged in to the MM section. I was a bit disappointed that the MM cartridge section was fixed and didn't offer adjustable loading like my C2500 but the VPI/Grado sounds pretty damn nice. I'm still tinkering with the setup on the arm/cart so it will get better. I have a Scoutmaster w/ a Benz Ruby3 I might put on it to try the MC section but that will be a chore. All in all the MM section sounds very good.

My unit has the TM2 and am wanting to try that out today as well.

Not bad considering the fact that it hit my porch at 3:00 yesterday AND I had to get it upstairs all by my lonesome right?

Ok so it's in!! In short it's a night and day difference. The Sansui has been serviced but not a total restoration. It is in fine working order but really the Klipsch Palladiums are not the best match. They are a bit more of a "delicate flower" and reveal all that 70's grit and "texture". I think Geoff's Maggies would be a splendid match :).

Right now I'm running Tidal thru an Oppo Sonica using the balanced inputs. It's totally incredible. I haven't tried the onboard dac yet but I do have an iMac running to the usb in. I will try that out today. I'm not sure that the Sonica dac won't be better though. That thing is pretty sweet.

I also listened to a dozen or so album sides as I have a VPI Prime Scout w/ a Grado Reference Sonata2 plugged in to the MM section. I was a bit disappointed that the MM cartridge section was fixed and didn't offer adjustable loading like my C2500 but the VPI/Grado sounds pretty damn nice. I'm still tinkering with the setup on the arm/cart so it will get better. I have a Scoutmaster w/ a Benz Ruby3 I might put on it to try the MC section but that will be a chore. All in all the MM section sounds very good.

My unit has the TM2 and am wanting to try that out today as well.

Not bad considering the fact that it hit my porch at 3:00 yesterday AND I had to get it upstairs all by my lonesome right?
My MAC6700 also has TU2 -- I would not have made the purchase without it.

I live on the 7th floor of my building - and the UPS guy brought the unit to my door on a cart. I still had to unbox it from the double box pack, unscrew the unit from the bolt-down, and lift it onto its spot (maybe two feet up onto a stout side table). I'm not as young as I used to be.

I'm using a Magnum Dynalab SR-100 indoor FM antenna pressed up to a window and reception is pretty good -- the FMHD stations really made the choice to get the TU2 worthwhile. I purchased a 50 foot coax extension cable to get it there -- no appreciable loss of signal from what I can tell.

sounds great. I understand the AM is really good too. I do tune in to a few AM broadcasts from time to time. can't wait to try out the FM as well

My MAC6700 also has TU2 -- I would not have made the purchase without it.

I wanted to thank you for the "Heads Up" on the HD Tuner module. I didn't even know such a thing existed when I bought my 6700 off Craigslist 14 months ago. They finally got one in at Audio Classics, and it is on the way to my house. All the Detroit stations are HD, so I can't wait to hear it! I already thought the radio sounded good on it, so this should amazing.

-Geoff

I'm strongly considering an MA6700 (or MA6600 for that matter) with the HD tuner module as an alternative to an MR 88, which is proving extremely difficult to find on the used market. For those who either own both or have heard both, how would you rate the MA6700 Plus Tuner Module vs the standalone MR88 tuner?

I have TU2 modules in two MAC6700s driving different systems, and an MR88. I would not sell the MR88 under any circumstances. I consider it irreplaceable. Both the TU2 and MR88 are becoming increasingly more difficult to find. Don't forgo one because you have decided to go with the other. Both are wonderful and it may well come down to which shows up first.

Last edited:
I have an MA6600 which I believe is compatible with the TU2. My question: Can I install the tuner myself?? If so, how easy is it to do? I wouldn't want to do it if I have to pull the insides of the amp apart. But I'm also not keen on packing up the beast and taking it to a service center. The unit is already out-of-warranty, so no worries about voiding it.

thx,

ods

I have an MA6600 which I believe is compatible with the TU2. My question: Can I install the tuner myself?? If so, how easy is it to do? I wouldn't want to do it if I have to pull the insides of the amp apart. But I'm also not keen on packing up the beast and taking it to a service center. The unit is already out-of-warranty, so no worries about voiding it.

thx,

ods
It appears to be pretty straight forward. Remove the plate on the back of the amp and the top off the amp to reveal the innards, then slide the tuner module in and be sure it is connected to the chassis. Others with more experience and tech background will certainly respond here as well.

I just installed mine and it took me about 5 minutes. The install is literally two screws, pull it out, slide the new one in - there is what looks like an RS232 plug on the back (for all the old schoolers on here). I am not sure about installing one on an MA6600, though, since it didn't already have a tuner. Worst case is you might need a re-flash. I would ask McIntosh directly - I sent a question to them about installing it in my 6700 (online form on their website), and they responded the next day.

-Geoff

Back
Top Bottom