Great "Every Day Carry" knives

my early 90s Supertool lives in my laptop bag, it has gotten a bit of use at the office recently

20180412_supertool.jpg

I've been looking for one of these since they came out and I was a poor college student and couldn't afford a decent knife. Finally caught up with one on ebay and snatched it up. I really like it for EDC. It's a Tekna Hidden Edge from the early 90's. Super light, locks open and closed, and so far seems to hold an edge well.

hidden edge.jpg

I've been looking for one of these since they came out and I was a poor college student and couldn't afford a decent knife. Finally caught up with one on ebay and snatched it up. I really like it for EDC. It's a Tekna Hidden Edge from the early 90's. Super light, locks open and closed, and so far seems to hold an edge well.

View attachment 1165942

Tekna made some cool pieces. I've had a few of their auto-sheath retracting knives. I think I had one like yours too. Do you squeeze then turn at the base of the blade to open it? I had one that looked similar (if not identical) but don't recall the maker. That's how you opened it.

It’s a bottle opener... technically.

...nudge...nudge...

I have an 80s el cheapo 2-finger bottle opener while my son has a collection of some rather expensive short run ones from the Jerzee Devil forums plus a Dalton. They can go for some real coin especially when in titanium. I always keep looking for a legit set of Civil War ones. Widely used by both sides, usually cast-iron but also lead & brass.

Tekna made some cool pieces. I've had a few of their auto-sheath retracting knives. I think I had one like yours too. Do you squeeze then turn at the base of the blade to open it? I had one that looked similar (if not identical) but don't recall the maker. That's how you opened it.

You squeeze the lock button and use a knurled bit on the backside of the blade to bring it out. Although with no spring, you can just push the locking button and flick your wrist and it will open pretty easily.

I've had a Tekna Micro Knife for ages. Is that the sheath retracting one you mentioned?
tekna micro knife 2.jpg

You squeeze the lock button and use a knurled bit on the backside of the blade to bring it out. Although with no spring, you can just push the locking button and flick your wrist and it will open pretty easily.

I've had a Tekna Micro Knife for ages. Is that the sheath retracting one you mentioned?
View attachment 1166121

Yep, I had one of those. Did not recall it was Tekna. The action is just like the Gerber Paul knife of the same era. I gave it to a buddy who loved how light it was.

My retracting ones were serrated on both sides and not very useful. The one you show is much better but I've never come across one.

This is an original Gerber Paul from ~1980 (web pic), first "high-end" knife I ever bought, still have it. Real dumb design flaw though. The allen-hex "screw" is actually a friction fit cam to adjust blade open tension. Under perfect circumstances it can be pushed out. I carried mine one weekend and put it away without looking. A week or so later I'm wearing the pants I had on and find the part in my pocket. This after going through the wash, the piece is a little bigger than a BB. I pulled it out and it dawned on me what it was for. Go look at the knife and that part was missing, oops. Probably the last time I carried it.

2pw-2.jpg

If those mini Spydercos are made from the same metal as the police Sprydercos, they are super hard and almost impossible to sharpen. I had a side job of knife sharpening at the theater I worked at. All the road crew would bring me their Spydercos to be sharpened. The plastic handles Spydercos were easy to sharpen with the Spyderco sharp stix, but the police model would take 45 minutes to an hour to sharpen. That was even using the diamond coated sleeves over the regular sticks. I warned people with Spydercos that it was better for the knives to send them back to be sharpened. Using the sharp stix eventually will wear down the sharp points. I found it better and less destructive to sharpen just the back side. It was still time consuming.

It’s a bottle opener... technically.
Yep, sure....
As it`s been said, "Your mind is the most dangerous weapon". For sure, the proper mindset will provide an almost unlimited variety of "field expedient" (improvised) weapons.
Take, for example, this innocent-looking dog collar (formerly worn by my dog named "Bolts")

upload_2018-4-18_20-26-50.png

When deployed in a slightly different manner, it becomes a short manrikigusari, and a quick flick of the wrist will cause any recipient to have a very bad day....

upload_2018-4-18_20-30-6.png

In the pocket today is a Benchmade #470 Emissary, an Osborne design. Aluminum frame, super light weight (2 oz.) Excellent build quality, feels good in the hand. Probably fits into the "Gentleman`s Knife" category....
upload_2018-4-26_12-17-40.png

Hey! That’s my knife!

This thread started with my initial purchase of a Mini Griptilian and a full size Griptilian. They didn’t work out for me because they opened in my jeans as I was removing them from my pocket. I returned them and bought the Emissary that you have. I really like it and it has served me very well since then.

Back
Top Bottom