Are ADS tweeters interchangeable?

retreatwi

I have a pair of 1230s and one of the tweeters has a wire that's come loose. I've tried soldering it back to the voice coil, but I can't get the solder to take.

My question is, are ADS tweeters model specific or are they interchangeable? Almost all of them have the same rectangular size, but I didn't know if there was anything technical from preventing me from using another tweeter and replacing my broken tweeter.

Thanks

I have a pair of 1230s and one of the tweeters has a wire that's come loose. I've tried soldering it back to the voice coil, but I can't get the solder to take.

My question is, are ADS tweeters model specific or are they interchangeable? Almost all of them have the same rectangular size, but I didn't know if there was anything technical from preventing me from using another tweeter and replacing my broken tweeter.

Thanks

They are interchangeable, ADS used the same tweeters across many models. The L1230 used the 206-0107. It was replaced by the 206-0117. Look for one of those.

But also check that the fuses are intact. On the back of the speaker above the terminals is a cover panel. Remove it and check if the tweeter fuse is blown.

If you decide to send it to Richard So, send both tweeters so their output will be equal. It’s usually best to keep original drivers when possible, even repaired ones. It will be like new after Richard restore it.

Looks like the L1230 's use the same tweeter as the 710, 730, 810, and the 910.
and add the 780 and /2 and the 880 and /2, 990, 1090 and /2 and 1290 and /2 for the 0117. Lots to choose from on the used tweeter market on the bay if you go that route.

Could send it to Richard So.
Sage words. By the time you tack on the shipping for a used driver of questionable status, you could've sent the tweeter to Richard and gotten back one that is functionally "NEW".
Might I add that Richard doesn't object to disassembly of the speaker for dressing up with some Krylon semi-flat black - just make sure to send the paper spacer behind the mounting plate.

Photo_10_CompleteMidrange.gif

I'm aware of Richard and might end up sending all the drivers to him for a refresh eventually. I was wanting to try and repair the tweeter first though. Is there a trick to getting the wire soldered to the voice coil?

I'm aware of Richard and might end up sending all the drivers to him for a refresh eventually. I was wanting to try and repair the tweeter first though. Is there a trick to getting the wire soldered to the voice coil?

Can you post a pic of the damaged tweeter?

I've tried soldering it back to the voice coil, but I can't get the solder to take.
I don't know if this applies to your specific tweeter, but many tweeter voice-coils are wound with flat, edge-wound aluminum wire to reduce moving mass, making the tweeters more responsive. They even advertise the benefits.

But you can't solder Aluminum.

Back
Top Bottom