JBL re-introducing the L-100

JBL didn't make the original L100 the way it is because they didn't know better, or didn't have the materials/resources/whatever. It sounds the way it does because it was designed that way. The goal wasn't a flat responding "audiophile" speaker system. It was a consumer repackage of a monitor that was specifically designed to get the business of those who would otherwise be buying Altec 604s.

You can probably bet that the re-release won't have that goal in mind.

Is this your own opinion or have you read this from JBL? Are you a former dealer from that era?
Do you mean the 604-8G. Produced from 1973 - 1979. The original 604 was introduced in 1944. No big deal, I understand what speaker group your talking about.

According to my sources at JBL they will not be available for purchase until fall at the earliest due to production problems. I think l will stick with my 4435 and 4450.

1. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but let's not forget what the definition of 'subjective' is.

2. Once again comparing apples and oranges and speakers that are above the supposed msrp of the new L100. Why not spend almost 10k like I did? (I can think of a hundred reasons.)

1. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but let's not forget what the definition of 'subjective' is.

2. Once again comparing apples and oranges and speakers that are above the supposed msrp of the new L100. Why not spend almost 10k like I did? (I can think of a hundred reasons.)
Your right. I worked for JBL for 25 years outfitting recording studios .Sold plenty of 43 and 44 series monitors. All my speakers were free to me...perk. Aside the 4429 anniversary monitor is way better sounding than the new L100 for only $1,000 pair more. Over the lenght of time one will likely own them it's practically pennies a day.

I'd like to lay hands on some of the new (post 2002) large format monitors, though I understand that they are voiced for the Japanese market, and thus a little bass-shy. I've got a couple of 4645s floatin' around here somewhere.

I'd like to lay hands on some of the new (post 2002) large format monitors, though I understand that they are voiced for the Japanese market, and thus a little bass-shy. I've got a couple of 4645s floatin' around here somewhere.
These are definitely NOT bass shy. Use of a quality high curren amp with even damping factor to control the 15's

And a decent D/A converter for your digital source. Makes a big difference in the bass extension and clarity!

I wasted 1 with them. They were that bad.
Can't say I ever heard that particular model, to be honest. The only store near me back in the 80s that sold JBL I think was Pointe Electronics, and they were primarily a Sony store at the time.

Wildcat, he's talking about the new version that's being trotted around prior to launch later this year... so far nobody on AK is quite sure WHY he hates them so much, though.

I had a very different (polar opposite) experience listening to them at CES this year, thought they were excellent. I'm not a huge fan of the original L100, I appreciate them for what they represent and their place in audio history but these are quite different sonically. I was (mentally anyway, as much as one can when not in a true A/B blind comparison) comparing them to my L112 and L150A, and I thought they performed very well - enough so to consider picking up a pair when they are available. Though, I also thought the point made elsewhere about the cost of these vs. one of the equivalent sized pro monitor models was also valid.

John

Your right. I worked for JBL for 25 years outfitting recording studios .Sold plenty of 43 and 44 series monitors. All my speakers were free to me...perk. Aside the 4429 anniversary monitor is way better sounding than the new L100 for only $1,000 pair more. Over the lenght of time one will likely own them it's practically pennies a day.

No offence sir, I guess my point was compare something dollar for dollar. IMO, most (not all.) people have a pre-set amount of money to spend, not a penny more.
Sure, I would guess that there is something out there weather it be the same brand or not that "sounds better" when comparing. I wasn't trying to come-across as a 'stuffed shirt' saying I spent almost 10k, but rather making a point that in general (not always.) the more you spend the more you get and sometimes in the speaker world that might equate to 'better sound' So, with that in mind I'd rather not compare the new L100 with something that cost more.

Not sure if your familiar with the 4367 "monitor' and the M2 studio monitor, but what's your take on this home version of the M2? If you were in the market (for home use.) for one or the either which would it be?
Thanks, Mark

No offence sir, I guess my point was compare something dollar for dollar. IMO, most (not all.) people have a pre-set amount of money to spend, not a penny more.
Sure, I would guess that there is something out there weather it be the same brand or not that "sounds better" when comparing. I wasn't trying to come-across as a 'stuffed shirt' saying I spent almost 10k, but rather making a point that in general (not always.) the more you spend the more you get and sometimes in the speaker world that might equate to 'better sound' So, with that in mind I'd rather not compare the new L100 with something that cost more.

Not sure if your familiar with the 4367 "monitor' and the M2 studio monitor, but what's your take on this home version of the M2? If you were in the market (for home use.) for one or the either which would it be?
Thanks, Mark
Mark
I've been retired from JBL for 10 years but l generally tend to lean towards the studio monitor pro version because no compromises are made as a rule which is not always true for the consumers model. So with that said l would select the 4367.

From what I've read, the L100 was not well received at Axpona. It still sounds colored and peaky, or so I read. I'd be willing to bet the HSU CCA 8 at $799 sounds better. It has been well received everywhere.

From what I've read, the L100 was not well received at Axpona. It still sounds colored and peaky, or so I read. I'd be willing to bet the HSU CCA 8 at $799 sounds better. It has been well received everywhere.
It all depends upon taste and perception. The original L 100 was a very honest flat speaker based upon studio technology namely the 4311. Most speakers of the time had and to some degree today have a less than flat frequency response intended to sound polite using the notorious mid range suck out. They imo needed to be matched with proper amplification. JBL used SAE Sansui McIntosh and Soundcraftsmen in voicing their speakers.

Good luck trying to get any frequency extension out of a compact coaxial. Some designers use cleaver box and crossiver tricks along with multiple smaller drivers. Only a large drivers with stout magnets and large voice coils move enough air to make fake bass sub woofers unnecessary

Back
Top Bottom