i was thinking if getting one of those Ebay ES335 style guutar kits..what can I expect to replace ?

philo426

Might order one of those. 335 style kits.Besides the pick ups,bridge and tuning machines,what else should be replaced?

If you're talking about the Pango kit, that's a lot of components for the money and I have to question the quality of the neck and body. For what you'll have into it, after replacing the parts that you mentioned and maybe the pots and switch, you could more than by a new Epiphone DOT.

On other hand, If you are interested in a starter build kit just for the experience it could be a fun project.

I am a big fan of Epi Dots but I want to get expierence in building a kit guitar with the eventual goal of building my own.

I can understand that. I'd like to try some building too but haven't decided where to start. It looks like the kit that you're considering would be a good option if want a semi-hollow style.

Yes I saw some youtube vids of a guy making the kit and it came out pretty well,but he did replace the pickups.

Check out Stew Mac guitar kits .....Their kits are generally of good quality.. or Warmouth necks and bodies.

I think that is where I would start if I wanted to get some experience building. (Sorry no hollow bodies at Stew Mac)

Or check out a Warmouth Mooncaster or VIP with a Hombre neck.
That way you can choose exactly what pickups, electronics, neck profile etc.
And you can order the neck blanks finished or unfinished and fretted or unfretted.
Same goes with their bodies you can order a rough bare wood slab or the body drilled, routed, bound and totally finished.
Just my 2 cents worth but I see no point in buying a kit with inferior quality parts selected to meet a price point that you are going toss out when you can order one exactly as you wish and when your done it's a quality custom guitar designed exactly to your specs and have something you will love for many years to come. You get what you pay for even when you supply the labor.
As always YMMV.
Have fun
PQ

Last edited:
Well Stew Mac kits cost more than fully finished Epi Dots so that will not work ,budget wise.They must be im Canada with that stupid Vat tax that makes ordering anything from them cost prohibitive.Bummer!

Just my 2 cents worth but I see no point in buying a kit with inferior quality parts selected to meet a price point that you are going toss
I agree.
This kit perhaps... seems to offer better quality; though from china?

https://thefretwire.com/shop/category-guitars/diy-electric-guitar-kit-335-style-semi-hollow-body/
(might review prices from Seymour Duncan trade in offer ?? just to clarify listed prices are not over priced.
Note; body has no rear access so that may present difficulties.
Also read reviews.. there was one review where the neck was twisted? skewed and un-usable? But could be assembler didn't know how to set the neck under gradual string tension as tuning the guitar instead of applying equal tension across and checking the neck gradually and evenly while checking for skew. Applying tung oil to to rose wood fret boards will help condition same. It is a gradual adjustment, the neck may void of moisture, too and don't expect in tune condition until neck sets in and loosening and readjusting can be expected.

The other flip is you can get an assembled and finished guitar, and hope for the best, but unit is finished. ali-express.
--------------------------------
BTW (Stewmac is from akron OH.)

Last edited:
+1 on the Stew Mac kits.

You may want to build a solid body electric as a first build.

Back
Top Bottom