Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

I suggest maybe checking back at the same location for a couple of weeks. I have seen this happen a few times where an orphan speaker shows up on the floor, and then its mate appears a few weeks later.

Blows my mind how it could happen, but I also saw an orphan speaker at one location, and its twin at another location within the same thrift store chain!

Ask the manager or some friendly worker. It worked for me. I found a lone JBL Apollo C51 one week, and I asked if there was a match, but they said they didn't think so. But when the manager later saw the other one she held onto it (they know my face from being there all the time), and the next time I went in I got the other one.

GW was good to me.......more info later
View attachment 1166477

Looks like the AK version of Jenga.

raw

Yes I had to get it into the cart quickly- I had about 10 people watching me I was just waiting to see some arms extend.......lol
Is it one of those "set of 7 for $29.95" deals they do?

I had one of them happen once, only it had a Marantz 2245 in wood case, and a pile of pioneer branded rack wood speakers.

Needless to say, I walked to the counter with the receiver in hand, and only carted the speakers after extended deliberations.

My wife and I stopped at the local thrift today, and there they were: a pair of HED speakers for $44 and change. Good shape, drivers looked functional, 2-way, rear-ported. Didn't need, didn't buy.

I randomly stumbled upon some goodwill employees literally throwing a good condition, working Pioneer SX-680 into a trash can when I was there recycling some old computer monitors. I begged them to not throw it away, they ended up putting it on the shelf the next day with a $10 price tag and a sticker that said UNTESTED, I was there early the next morning to scoop it up.

I honestly can't remember the last audio item I picked here in El Lay.
You find anything beyond just interesting, Sam:idea:

Just some mildly interesting AVR and DVD players. Vintage is done. The container shippers have taken everything, so it seems.

It was a good day at GW... found these on vinyl:

Greatest Hits - Cat Stevens
The Dream Of The Blue Turtles - Sting
Saddle Tramp - The Charlie Daniels Band
Fun And Games - Chuck Mangione
Lost In A Dream- - REO Speedwagon
Argus - Wishbone Ash
Demons And Wizards - Uriah Heep

And this on DVD:

Live At The Greek - Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes

Total: $5.00

I miss the off the beaten track thrift over by the railroad tracks and Cesna airstrip.
A pickers delight.

The store next to the other junk shop with the outdoor yard? That one is still there but it has a new owner so not so good anymore. The store at the end of Lankershim changed owners and does not get good stuff anymore. On the rare occasion I am out there, I go to Apex.

The store next to the other junk shop with the outdoor yard? That one is still there but it has a new owner so not so good anymore. The store at the end of Lankershim changed owners and does not get good stuff anymore. On the rare occasion I am out there, I go to Apex.
The one at the end of Lankershim.
I forget the name but they are now Value Center in Van Nuys.
I still have my $34 Yamaha CX-1000 in daily use and believe I actually pulled 5 pairs of HPM-100s during the times I visited.
Also, those with knowledge of all things non-audio did quite well.
Happy Hunting.

Back
Top Bottom