Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

The store next to the other junk shop with the outdoor yard? That one is still there but it has a new owner so not so good anymore. The store at the end of Lankershim changed owners and does not get good stuff anymore. On the rare occasion I am out there, I go to Apex.
Apex is one of a kind... been going there since the early 1980s, haven't been for quite some time, was pleased to see it still existed. One has to see it to believe it, pictures do it no justice.

Thrifting all morning and found some good items, including this 1981 framed poster of Nastassja Kinski. Woo-woo! Also two Onkyo AV receivers for $5.00 each. One had the remote which goes for $20.00.

View attachment 1168773 View attachment 1168774

nice Avedon poster... the lower Onkyo AVR is like the hand-me-down one I test speakers with; it's good for decent amp sound and decent tuner if needed. $5? scroe

The one at the end of Lankershim.
I forget the name but they are now Value Center in Van Nuys.
I still have my $34 Yamaha CX-1000 in daily use and believe I actually pulled 5 pairs of HPM-100s during the times I visited.
Also, those with knowledge of all things non-audio did quite well.
Happy Hunting.
Five pair of 100s? I thought I did pretty well pulling three pair from the same thrift a few years ago.

Five pair of 100s? I thought I did pretty well pulling three pair from the same thrift a few years ago.
A few pairs of Polk monitor 10s to go along with the 100s.
Needless to say those two models must have been big sellers going by that small sampling.

Apex is one of a kind... been going there since the early 1980s, haven't been for quite some time, was pleased to see it still existed. One has to see it to believe it, pictures do it no justice.
Never been there but I'd like to find out if they sell large value film capacitors.

A few pairs of Polk monitor 10s to go along with the 100s.
Needless to say those two models must have been big sellers going by that small sampling.
I pulled a nice set of 10a Polks from same thrift a few years ago also.Such finds now are pretty rare.

Last edited:
Never been there but I'd like to find out if they sell large value film capacitors.

The place is loaded with capacitors of all sorts. I've seen computer grade Mallory and Sprague. It takes some searching but I was able to match up caps for Marantz 510M. Found five pair. Used two pair and sold the rest.

This little Pioneer amp has been sitting in a local antique store for the last 6 months.
It was complete outside, but awfully mildewed.
I have been ignoring it at $29.
It was marked down to $14 today, so I rolled the dice on it.
It has a few bumps and bruises, but it cleaned up great.
Actually it was very clean inside.
It needs a new power light, and the top cover needs a coat of paint.
It had ~30 mV on the speaker terminals, and the power supply voltages were in the ballpark.
So, I tried with some speakers and found that it works great!

SA-6500-II_front.jpg

I don't know but it would be worth to visit just for the experience. One thing I remember is all these projector lamps of all types that were sure to be obsolete, new in their boxes... that and the aisles of extremely well crafted eloquent looking test equipment in fine wooden boxes from a different era. I assume some of that stuff is still there... haven't been in years.

Just grabbed a pair of Paradigm Atom v2 for $10 at GW. The grills are glued so it's a bit of a crap shoot. Does anyone know if the surrounds are foam?

Just grabbed a pair of Paradigm Atom v2 for $10 at GW. The grills are glued so it's a bit of a crap shoot. Does anyone know if the surrounds are foam?
Yes, they are foam and as you might already know you go in through the back door to access the drivers and crossover.

They are good little speakers for $10 even if they need surrounds replaced which are easy to source.

Weekly thrift store run to GW Buy the Pound with Te-Te and DublinTrader.. I picked up a ton of books and a few CDs and one Hendrix cassette (Kiss the Sky). My big find was at a GW retail store on the way back home. I found a Fujifilm Neo Classic Instax Mini 90 Instant Film Camera for $2.00! That was worth the trip alone.

001 (10).JPG

Yes, they are foam and as you might already know you go in through the back door to access the drivers and crossover.

They are good little speakers for $10 even if they need surrounds replaced which are easy to source.
I opened one up and the surround is good. I played em for a while and I like the sound. They do punch above their weight class.

I just finished refoaming a pair of Boston Acoustics HD5, and I like these Paradigms even a little better than those.

NIce vinyl finds the last couple days... The Joan Baez and Saxy Jazz came from my GW Clearance Center, a surprise in itself given how little I find decent condition records there.
IMG_6375.JPG
The others popped up at Savers last night, to the tune of 80 cents each after a 20 percent off coupon :) I have to say, I didn't recognize the majority of the artists, and researched them after I got home. Some (a black metal and Danish metal one in particular) are definitely outside my usual zone, but I'm still happy to have grabbed them just to experiment with some different styles. A little preview on YouTube tells me I didn't do bad. The Colin Hay is a very cool transparent orange but sadly warped, the first tracks on each side are utterly unplayable.
IMG_6371.JPG IMG_6372.JPG IMG_6373.JPG

Back
Top Bottom