NOS L100 Speakers

johnm1001

Hello, new here

I've recently started exploring the mass quantity of information on the net for L100 hobbyists. I have a pretty neat opportunity here and want to get some thoughts from you folks.
So the story is that for years I've had a box with 2 loaded speaker baffles that my dad had started to put together decades ago when he lived in Northridge CA. He had a friend that was helping him put together something for his console system. The baffles never got further than to a packing box when he retired to Seattle. I hadn't opened the box till last month.

Now I find myself with 2 sets of totally unfired: 123A-3, LE5-2, and LE25. Both the woofers and the midrange have sequential serial numbers and the tweeters have "644" (date code?). So my question is, does this set have special value, historically and monetarily, or are they pretty much like the other components offered on ebay? If they have special value in this condition I would probably sell them.

Otherwise I found a couple nice home built cabinets, sized and routed as 4312s that I can make a project out of. I would love to add a new choice from my sealed cabinet sound of Infinity RS3b and Advents.
Thanks for any thoughts, John

Attachments

• 20180421_173311.jpg
    20180421_173311.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 50
Vintage components in pristine condition should command premium prices, obviously.

Those 4312 cabs look really nice. I would consider keeping the components and building with them using an "upgraded" L100 crossover by John Murphy or Troels Gravesens.

wait a little bit to see how the new L100s affect existing prices. could change in
either direction and therefore drive a movement to upgrade properly
eg a NOS woofer versus one refoamed correctly or not.

there was a recent offering for a rebuilt L100 from parts on CL (cl apps are your friend)
that was, in my opinion, too close to new pricing.

if I were into L100s, I'd pay premium pricing over flipper refoams. or for L100s where
they don't tell you about the crossover hack jobs, the "fixed" tweeters, and "refoamed"
woofers.

Thanks for the responses. I will probably build the speakers up myself and have a way to flip between the original crossover design and the Murphy design.

4-pole double throw, mounted on back, use a plastic well with speaker posts and add
hole for this switch.

thinking to mount crossovers outside to preserve internal volume. Would need 4 posts in for that, and a switch.

if I were into L100s, I'd pay premium pricing over flipper refoams. or for L100s where
they don't tell you about the crossover hack jobs, the "fixed" tweeters, and "refoamed"
woofers.

Do any of the L100 drivers even use foam?

Back
Top Bottom