Jacob Carter

TL;DR CR2020 putting out no soumd through the roght side.

Hey guys I wanted to see some opinions about what I should do about a problem. About a week ago I bought a cr2020 and it worked great up until a day or 2 ago. I was listening to a couple records and I heard a about 2 or 3 "pops", which I just assumed came from dust on the record or was just noise cause it was old. Then it popped again and I lost the whole right side of sound. I turned it to the radio and put an aux cable to it to see if it was my turntable, but it's not. Any ideas on what I should do?

no soumd from the roght side -- legt sode OK?

ahem

First and foremost: check (e.g., exercise) the main amp/preamp coupling switch.
(probably best to do this with the receiver switched off)

BTDT

welcome to AK....After excersizing the coupler switch. Check your RCA jack connections.

Last edited:
It could be a dirty switch or control. Fouled relay contacts. Or even cold solder connection(s).

If you have a seperate pre-amp or something to use as a pre-amp. You can decouple the Pre-out/main-in. Hook the seperate pre-amp to the main-in jacks and listen . It will give me a better idea of which way to go.

If you have a seperate power amp we can go the other way. Using the 2020 preamp to a seperate amp. Either way we can eliminate either the pre-amp or the power amps in the 2020.

Welcome Jake. I told you there would be some fine folks who would take the time to help you out. Using separates is a great idea. If you wanna come over soon I’ve a pre and a power we can use to check it with.

Alright I got deoxit to clean all my connections and I worked it into the switches, and now I get no sound at all. What should my next step be?

Go over your switch settings and verify the coupler switch( rear panel) is in the coupled position.

Alright I got deoxit to clean all my connections and I worked it into the switches, and now I get no sound at all. What should my next step be?
Are you hearing and relay "click" shortly after power on ?

Haven't tried to verify with amp/pre-amp. But, I did run everything through my old receiver and there's nothing coming out of it either now, no sound on phono, tuner, aux. Even hooked up different speakers and still got nothing.

How are you at following a schematic ? Do you have a multimeter ? Soldering tools ?

On the power supply circiut board right behind the meters. There are two heatsinked " pass " transistors. Check there solder connections for ring cracks. Reflow there solder connections if in doubt.

On the verticle electrolytic board.That the power supply board plugs into. There are > 4 resistors < 2 each 22Ω and 2 each 33Ω. These four are covered in the >Service bulletin.< Check there solder connections as well.

Back
Top Bottom