WOO-HOO!! X-202 on the WAY! And a FM-100-C

The only thing I didn't replace on it was the rectifier Larry, it was working correctly so it stayed. Enjoy!

The 202 is a special amp. You're going to be very happy with it. The "Stereo Dimension" control is kinda strange. I just leave mine at center. Only time I notice any change is on one of the Command or RCA Stereo Action recordings where it really separates, blends or combines both channels. It seems to stop short of true mono.

The jewel lights are my favorite feature. The red center jewel should faintly glow with it on. It goes full bright with Center Channel on. Be sure those lights have the special insulated tubing on them. Remove the faceplate and pull them forward a bit then reattach the faceplate so the tubing is flat against the plate. Otherwise you'll get light bleed through.

The brass-face Fishers were the best of the best. I do wish they had the standard SpaceX pander Jacks like later units as that's the next and last option I need to add to the Executive. The 500B hookup is so easy.

I'd trade my 500B for a 600 brass face in a minute...

REALLY? Let me go thru mine, as it's been out of the loop for a couple years. And it's a 50000 series unit using 7247's instead of 7199's.

Steve; If you replaced the Rectifer on the others, did you put a dropping resistor in the bias line (neg lead) and what value/wattage. I think I'll pull up the X-202 thread of Dave's and see what I'm up against.. LOL! I trust Selenium Rectufriers about as far as I can throw a small block head. And it aint FAR! I've got a Table Model left over and it's going in. I'll check voltages before and after.

REALLY? Let me go thru mine, as it's been out of the loop for a couple years. And it's a 50000 series unit using 7247's instead of 7199's.

Steve; If you replaced the Rectifer on the others, did you put a dropping resistor in the bias line (neg lead) and what value/wattage. I think I'll pull up the X-202 thread of Dave's and see what I'm up against.. LOL! I trust Selenium Rectufriers about as far as I can throw a small block head. And it aint FAR! I've got a Table Model left over and it's going in. I'll check voltages before and after.
I'm thinking I didn't change the rectifier in my other unit either, the third unit I have already had it changed I believe.

OK. I'll connect it direct and see how it responds. Then get with Dave as far as figuring out what resistor is needed, if any. Manual says -21v to the V1 to V6 heaters and then off to the bias pots eventually ending at the grid return resistors. I may just put a 10K pot there to fine tune it all.

On the bias points, just clip the hot lead there and the ground lead to chassis? then go thru the bias and balance a usual, excepting the gimmick wire that you have to disconnect and connect again. ??

Last edited:
Got the tubes for the X-202, plugged them in with some DeOxit Shield on the pins. Hooked everything up, flipped the switch, waiting........Waiting......WAITING! NO SOUND! WTF? So my favorite friend(plastic poker) and I started poking around. Found C55 with a loose wire. Took apart the connection and re-configured all the leads (5 into this itty-bitty hole!), soldered it all together. Flipped the switch and it beat the KM-60, as i had the laptop running thru AUX, and switched over to FM. FM was barely there and then the KM-60 woke up.

Compared to the X-101-B 1.) Bass is a bit less but more controlled thru the Heresy's. 2.) Stereo Dimension is opposite of the 101-B, Counter clockwise for the 202, clockwise for the 101-B. )3.) No headphone jack is already missed. Will's gonna have to use the Executive once I get the room emptied. 4.) Had to go thru a couple X-202 threads to find out how to bias and balance it with the back panel mods. Tubes are running 29.8 to 30.6ma. That's as close as I could get it without breaking out the DeOxit. Balance is less than .8 mv per side. This is with Brand NEW EL-84M's that Jim matched to a gnat's ass.

I love the lights, and the front panel will get a polish this week. It's a ballsy little sucker.

100_5391.JPG

Got the tubes for the X-202, plugged them in with some DeOxit Shield on the pins. Hooked everything up, flipped the switch, waiting........Waiting......WAITING! NO SOUND! WTF? So my favorite friend(plastic poker) and I started poking around. Found C55 with a loose wire. Took apart the connection and re-configured all the leads (5 into this itty-bitty hole!), soldered it all together. Flipped the switch and it beat the KM-60, as i had the laptop running thru AUX, and switched over to FM. FM was barely there and then the KM-60 woke up.

Compared to the X-101-B 1.) Bass is a bit less but more controlled thru the Heresy's. 2.) Stereo Dimension is opposite of the 101-B, Counter clockwise for the 202, clockwise for the 101-B. )3.) No headphone jack is already missed. Will's gonna have to use the Executive once I get the room emptied. 4.) Had to go thru a couple X-202 threads to find out how to bias and balance it with the back panel mods. Tubes are running 29.8 to 30.6ma. That's as close as I could get it without breaking out the DeOxit. Balance is less than .8 mv per side. This is with Brand NEW EL-84M's that Jim matched to a gnat's ass.

I love the lights, and the front panel will get a polish this week. It's a ballsy little sucker.

View attachment 1170889
They have surprising power, the X-202 puts my KX-100 to shame. I think Cornwall's bring out the best in these amps, bass is crazy good.

It just keeps getting better. I stuffed a quad of K42Y .047uf 630v caps in the output coupler position. They were already broke in so no waiting around for Break in. HOLY SHIT! Using the laptop for a source, I plugged in The Allman Bros. Live from A&R Studios album. I thought I had heard the whole thing withthe X-101-B. NOT! breathing into the mic, foot hitting the bass drum pedal milliseconds before the beater hit the skin, shit like that. The only thing I miss is the lack of a headphone jack.

The Bias and Balance setup's are super simple to use. Probes on both screws for one side and adjust the pot to get a zero reading (I got 0.1mv and 0.4mv) and then set for .30v by putting the black probe on th chassis and red on one screw or the other, which across a 10ohm resistor is 30ma. Then double check the balance. The pots probably need some more work with DeOxit D5 and Shield S5. If they don't improve it's gonna be new pots for all 4.

It just keeps getting better. I stuffed a quad of K42Y .047uf 630v caps in the output coupler position. They were already broke in so no waiting around for Break in. HOLY SHIT! Using the laptop for a source, I plugged in The Allman Bros. Live from A&R Studios album. I thought I had heard the whole thing withthe X-101-B. NOT! breathing into the mic, foot hitting the bass drum pedal milliseconds before the beater hit the skin, shit like that. The only thing I miss is the lack of a headphone jack.

The Bias and Balance setup's are super simple to use. Probes on both screws for one side and adjust the pot to get a zero reading (I got 0.1mv and 0.4mv) and then set for .30v by putting the black probe on th chassis and red on one screw or the other, which across a 10ohm resistor is 30ma. Then double check the balance. The pots probably need some more work with DeOxit D5 and Shield S5. If they don't improve it's gonna be new pots for all 4.
I knew you'd enjoy the X-202, wish you could get a listen to it hooked to some Cornwall's. I agree with you about the modded bias setup, the original way was just total BS.

IIRC Cornwalls are just Heresy's in a larger cabinet. I'd love to get a pair of K-Horn's or LaScala's, but I'd have to buy a larger house to place them!:yikes: The Heresy's are big enough for the house and the room they are in. Plus I can open the front windows and listen to them while working on the truck. :naughty: I was listening to some 5th Dimension this morning and Marilyn McCoo was sounding luscious enough to wake up Willi! One of the songs had someone tapping a bell( I think it was Wedding Bell Blues), and the SOB sounded like it was right next to my ear. Never had that happen before. Laptop is going direct off the headphone jack into the AUX input on the 202. NO DAC, NO BUFFER. It sounds better than FM from the KM-60. And I'm only using 1/2 volume on the Laptop. Right now I've got Abbey Road on cd (EMI Remastered off the Original Tapes) running and it sounds as good as the LP without the noise from dust.

IIRC Cornwalls are just Heresy's in a larger cabinet. I'd love to get a pair of K-Horn's or LaScala's, but I'd have to buy a larger house to place them!:yikes: The Heresy's are big enough for the house and the room they are in. Plus I can open the front windows and listen to them while working on the truck. :naughty: I was listening to some 5th Dimension this morning and Marilyn McCoo was sounding luscious enough to wake up Willi! One of the songs had someone tapping a bell( I think it was Wedding Bell Blues), and the SOB sounded like it was right next to my ear. Never had that happen before. Laptop is going direct off the headphone jack into the AUX input on the 202. NO DAC, NO BUFFER. It sounds better than FM from the KM-60. And I'm only using 1/2 volume on the Laptop. Right now I've got Abbey Road on cd (EMI Remastered off the Original Tapes) running and it sounds as good as the LP without the noise from dust.
Trust me when I say I know all about the Klipsch models, I currently own two pair of Heresy's, Cornwall's, KG-4's, CF-2's, CF-3's Belle's, used to own Chorus, Forte's, Lascala. Cornwall's are better than them all!

My efficient 97db EV Interface D's love to be driven by my x-202. Natural yet ballsy, I just lay back and marvel to the luscious, clear tonality this amplifier brings. The wife likes it set up in the living room (but I haven't yet broke the news I recently bought a pair of 50az mono blocks):rolleyes: .

Last edited:
Got a couple of 1985 HBR Heresy I's that I picked up at a thrift real cheap. Gonna try those with my KX-100 now that I am hearing all the talk of mixing Fisher and Klipsch. (Hmmm, gotta get those Heresy's recapped right away. I haven't even opened them up yet to see the x-over.)

The KX100 has enough grunt to it that I hope that the Heresy's will sound more full in the low end. (I haven't been too impressed with the bass from the Heresy's when used with my Marantz 2220B.)

Crites has a nice kit for the Heresy's. A little pricey but you get mounts for the caps, tiewraps, and 2 Sonicaps. Woke mine right up. As far as I can tell mine are 79' black coated over unfinished birch.

They have surprising power, the X-202 puts my KX-100 to shame. I think Cornwall's bring out the best in these amps, bass is crazy good.

Wow...on my Cornwall II's, my X-100-B beats my 500C. Really muscular. But now I would love to hear the X-202.

It might be the way the gain is output via the Volume control. If it's brought on early, you get the impression that it has a lot of power. I know my X-202 brings it on early while my X-101-B has a lower volume at the same setting on the volume control Up until about 2:00. I put the X-202 up against my SX-939 (70W) and the X-202 had the 939 all the way up to 12:00 on the volume control (both were running KLH17's so I could equalize the test) and then the 939 took off and smoked the X-202. Surprisingly the X-202 beat out the X-101-B (7591 output's) all the way to 1:30 on the volume and then ran out of steam. The X-101-B had about 2db more in it up until it started clipping @ 3:00.

ALL CONTROLS were centered, Loudness OFF. Volume was increased in increments of the equivalent of clock hours. It got real noisy in the house. Lucy intelligently stayed outside until it was over. NO FISHER's or PIONEER's were Injured or Destroyed in this test.

I haven't done any comparisons with my other amps, but the 500C and and X-100-B seem to both get loud at similar settings. The difference is in the tonal quality. The 500C falls more to the neutral side,wthe X-100-B not only gets loud, but it's warmer, and more colorful. It's difficult for me to describe, but it makes everything sound more authentic, especially through the Cornwalls, then the 500C. Very much an amp I can easily listen to for hours on end.

I haven't done any comparisons with my other amps, but the 500C and and X-100-B seem to both get loud at similar settings. The difference is in the tonal quality. The 500C falls more to the neutral side,wthe X-100-B not only gets loud, but it's warmer, and more colorful. It's difficult for me to describe, but it makes everything sound more authentic, especially through the Cornwalls, then the 500C. Very much an amp I can easily listen to for hours on end.

I've got the kit version of the X-100-B (a KX-100) but I can't compare it to other Fisher equipment as I don't have any other Fisher equipment functioning yet (but someday). However.... from what little I've listened so far during my ongoing refurb of the unit, it seems to sound like it has a bump in the upper bass or lower midrange which I find very pleasing. I had it laid out on the kitchen table last night with some newer Infinity P162's that I use for testing. (Small bookshelves that I got online about 7 years ago.) Those speakers are usually bass shy, but not so much with the KX-100. (I'm using the loudness switch.) Even my wife came out of her kitchen to comment on how good it sounded and she is not a subscriber to the same tastes in music that I have. I think I was playing BB King via Pandora in the Aux input of the KX-100 via my iphone.

I'd love to compare the X-202 to the X-100-B/KX-100. Wish I had an X-202.

I've got the kit version of the X-100-B (a KX-100) but I can't compare it to other Fisher equipment as I don't have any other Fisher equipment functioning yet (but someday). However.... from what little I've listened so far during my ongoing refurb of the unit, it seems to sound like it has a bump in the upper bass or lower midrange which I find very pleasing.

That's IT!!

Back
Top Bottom