Subwoofer-compatible amps under $500 USD?

mwillis

I just bought a whole new system - an Onkyo 9010 amp, KEF Q100 speakers and a Klipsch R-12SW sub. However, come to find out the Onkyo and the sub are completely incompatible. The amp does not have a dedicated subwoofer output or pre-outputs. I had read that you could still use a sub with these systems by running speaker wire to their speaker-level inputs, and then running the speakers from the sub. This does not work with these either as the subwoofer only has two RCA inputs.

So, long story short, I'm stuck with the sub because it was an open-box deal. I can, however, return the amp... I'm a bit bummed because I was digging the 9010. So after that long introduction, what are some other integrated amps to take a look at for less than $500? I'm open to used and/or refurbished units as well, as long as it's under $500... ideally under $400 also but I'm trying not to be picky. And as you could guess, one of the things I'm looking for is either a dedicated sub output or preout connections.

I have been eyeing the Yamaha A-S501 and Onkyo 9150... the Marantz 6005 was on that short list too until I learned that it also does not have a sub out or preout connections. Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the 9150 when compared to the 9010? As I mentioned, I'm definitely a fan of the 9010 but I've heard the 9150 actually seems to sound worse than the 9010 for some reason. I know it's all subjective but I'm just trying to make the right decision this time, and unfortunately I live over an hour from the closest audio shop so test driving isn't really an option. :(

I have been doing a lot of research lately on integrated amps and receiver's in the $500 - $600 range. Going to be getting something for my living room in the next couple months to run double duty as home theater and general listening.

The Yamaha A-SX01 line is high on my list, and sounds like it could fit the bill for you too. Plenty of good reviews it there.

But how's this for a wild card: SMSL AD18 ($140!). I've been thinking hard about some of these new digital amps, and this one has a subwoofer output.

Or you can try another solution: sell this sub and buy another one with speaker-level inputs and outputs.
You can use it with any amplifier...

I tried the speaker-to-line-level converter. I just ordered another one hoping that the one I got was defective (fingers crossed). I'd love to get a Yammy AS501 but those are just a bit out of my range. For now I'll wait for the new converter to arrive and see if that does the trick.

301 too low power for you?
Not at all, but judging from some comparisons the 501 is a much better bang for your buck than the 301. Also I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel jumping from the Onkyo 9010 to the AS301, most people prefer the former when comparing the two from what I could find.

Not at all, but judging from some comparisons the 501 is a much better bang for your buck than the 301. Also I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel jumping from the Onkyo 9010 to the AS301, most people prefer the former when comparing the two from what I could find.
You are correct. The 301 is good but the 501 amp section is not just a 25 watt difference. The amp section is much more robust. Much bigger main caps (Almost double the size.) and 8 output devices vs 4 on the 301. I owned both and the 501 is where things really get started with the A-SX01 series. From my understanding the 501 and 801 are Yamaha's two most popular integrated amps. The 501 offers ridiculous value and I have regretted selling mine at times.

You are correct. The 301 is good but the 501 amp section is not just a 25 watt difference. The amp section is much more robust. Much bigger main caps (Almost double the size.) and 8 output devices vs 4 on the 301. I owned both and the 501 is where things really get started with the A-SX01 series. From my understanding the 501 and 801 are Yamaha's two most popular integrated amps. The 501 offers ridiculous value and I have regretted selling mine at times.
Not sure if you have experience with NAD, but do you know how the 501 would stack up against the C326BEE? I think I've narrowed it down to these 2.

Back
Top Bottom