Let's see your cans!

2D964F5A-5965-4AAE-AEAE-744B99232D05.jpeg

It was time to create a bedside system.
LG V20: streaming Tidal, utilizing it’s decent DAC.

Headroom Micro Amp: US made amp from a now-discontinued line of amps made and sold by Headroom in Bozeman Montana.

Some cables from amazon.

A mahagony headphone stand that a friend helped me make a few years ago.

I will probably use the AKG K240 Sextett with this setup. Due to amping requirements it’s been a little under utilized in the past year or so.

a little Grado based project I'm working on.

40341996104_fb3c0d0397_h.jpg

Last edited:
I want these so bad. Lucky you. These are one of the 3 or 4 headphones that I consider end game for me that I want

I agree, the Classics could very well be End Game cans. In fact, I have been on a headphone selling spree since I got the 2Cs. The more I listen to them the more positive musical nuances I find. Great, great headphones.

headphones.jpg
Sennheiser HD280 closed backs. Bought for home recording tracking, and when you want that "cocoon" head space vibe listening to tunes, movies etc. Great with Roland V drums. The thin vinyl covering of earpads is starting to flake, tear, crack at about 10 years in now.

AKG K702 . Great looking and sound very clear, they lay everything bare..well my pair does when it feels like cooperating. The left channel works..sometimes. Has been intermittent pretty much since I got them. I set them aside to return and forgot. Doh..
I've tried new cables. I've taken them apart, couldn't see any loose wires. Maybe a cold solder joint somewhere? After tiring of futzing around with these I finally went for a pair of...

Sennheiser HD650
. Had read about these for years, finally got a pair. Yeah, they're nice. They do sound a bit backed away from the music to my ears, If you press them closer to your ears the sound gets more direct I suppose a thinner pad "mod" might be something somebody might come up with if they wanted to move forward a couple rows towards the stage. As far as the famous vice like headband, I finally had to bend out the metal strap a bit so they wouldn't stop the blood flow around my ears. From a purely aesthetic viewpoint, they could make the plain plastic framing underneath the grills look a little more finished.

The little Westone UM3 earbuds up top there, pricy when I got them, have lasted for 15 years. Rolled off highs, nice midrange and bass is full but not overpowering.

Last edited:
This is an updated pic of my 'cans, with the removal of an app I ultimately didn't want, Guake Terminal in this case, and Audacious in the backdrop, as well as my newly-minted Sunstone ring being used as a prop. The pic was snapped with the camera in Toy Cam mode.

PS: In July, it'll officially be a year with the V6s and they're still a great set of 'cans so far.

DSC00652.jpg

Last edited:
Pioneer Monitor 10. Just a little shoe polish and they look as new ;-)

How do you like them? I passed on a pair at a GW in Woodland Park, CO a couple weeks ago. Didn't have any amps with phone jacks at the time.....now I do. :oops:

Custom Grado
Bostown's "Operation Underground" Edition with parts from Vibro Labs/ ZMF , Viablue, Mogami, Amphenol, etc
The wood rod stoppers were a prototype that was just too much of a pain to produce in any serious quantity in the end.

Currently powered by a Benchmark DAC1 HDR, but I also use a Cary Xciter tube headphone amp and my old stand by, the Musical Fidelity X-Cans ( and X-Cans V2) among others.

DSC_0337.jpg
DSC_0339.jpg

Back
Top Bottom