Old/New Jobo

No Money

Well, after the lab I have been using got slower and slower at turn around on film I decided to do something about it. Got my hands on an old Jobo CPA with lift that hadn’t been used for some time. Now, after some pissing about, replacing a rectifier and a intermittently faulty potentiometer and cleaning and lubing all the cogs and stuff it seems to be running well.

Put a few rolls of 120 B&W through, and they came out very nice. Clean, even development. Much easier than doing the old “stand at the sink invert every minute” routine. And I get to use different developers when I want to, like Pyrocat HD and others that commercial labs won't use. Results look as good as, if not better than the lab. And it’s not an hour or more out of my day getting there and back. Got some C41 and E6 chems coming and an 10x8 tank. Have a few boxes of 10X8 Provia in the freezer looking for a project …

Fun Fun Fun

In someone's freezer, if you're really lucky,
after searching long and hard,
I know it's a long shot, but it was made up till 2012.
There has to be a stash somewhere !

It can do Ciba, but it's hard to find. Christopher Burkett bought up the last production run from what I can gather. http://christopherburkett.com/about/cibachrome
He talks about the unique manufacturing equipment needed for Cibachrome. The reason is that the coatings have to be much more uniform than with ordinary print material. Print material for negatives makes dye in proportion to exposure, so there can be some excess of the dye forming material without causing trouble. Cibachrome starts with the maximum and exact amount of dyes to make neutral blacks, and bleaches the dyes in proportion to exposure; and therefore has to be coated much more precisely.

Back
Top Bottom