Advice on amplifiers

Shutterdial

Im new and looking to buy a new amp
I always liked the McIntosh amps but they are to expensive. I love the big vu meters on them that glow. Is there any other amps with big vu meters that glow that would be worth getting. I seen a ees eclipse and a dbx amp that was similar what would you guys recommend that isnt to expensive.
Any help is appreciated

My gear
Pioneer sx-737
Pioneer. Sa-7700
6550 stereo tube amp
Klipsh forte ii speakers

How much is your budget?

Here is a list of big meter amps you might be able to use for research:

1. Technics SE-A5000

2. Technics SE-A3Mk2

3. Technics SE-A4Mk2

4. Technics SE-A5

5. Denon POA-1500

6. Denon POA-1500 II

7. Sansui BA-2000

8. Sansui BA-F1

9. Sony TA-N77ES

10. dbx BX-3

11. Yamaha MX-10000

12. Yamaha MX-2000

13. Proton D1200

14. Hitachi HMA-8500 Mk II

15. Accuphase E-305

16. Onkyo M-504

17. Onkyo M-5000R

18. Onkyo M-5030

19. JVC M-L10

20. Phase Linear 400

21. Phase Linear 700

They're not huge meters, but some amps like Yamaha P2200 have them none the less.

yamaha-p2200-217756.jpg

Oh, oh! Pick me! Pick me! Meters rock! You will not regret it! Take a closer look at the DBX BX-3; that is one amazingly well-built amp: toroidal transformer, massive aluminum heat sinks, internal cooling fan. I don't have one but if I had been aware of its existence before my amp-with-meters journey that's the one I would have targeted. I had an Onkyo M-something, can't remember model #, and it sounded thin and expressionless to me. Could have been bad pairing with preamp/speakers, dunno. Internal build quality did not impress me--not even close to that DBX. I have a Proton D1200 which I got for a pretty good price and while it does sound very, very good the build quality does not inspire confidence--messy wiring that looks like it was installed in a hurry, cheap ON/OFF switch--that big Yamaha PC2002M amp is tempting but it was designed for live gigs mainly (rock bands) although if you get one nobody is going to say that their amp can beat yours. That is a Mad Max V8 amplifier, for sure. Google that one until you see it's innards; you will spit your beer out. Yep, it's that impressive, the real McCoy. Half the fun of this journey is all the looking during the great hunt. Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom