TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

A USB fan may work ok for class d but won't move enough air to cool a hot running tube amp. I once had a Dynaco ST70 that put out as much heat as a space heater. I got rid of it as it was impossible to use during the summer months.

The FX502S PRO (TPA3250) that I ordered from AliExpress arrived today and I'm listening to it now - I swapped it out with my Breeze Audio TPA3116.

Early impression after a couple of hours is that it does sound similar to the TPA3116, but perhaps a bit smoother reproducing higher frequencies.

The brushes and cymbals on Bill Evans "Waltz For Debby" sound a tad better and little more real than I remember with the Breeze Audio...

I'll have to spend some more time with it, and switch back and forth with the 3116 for comparison, but so far this is a really nice sounding chip amp.

Very interesting, GSS61. I first noticed the much better bass, but you hear the treble. I think it is better across the entire range, but thought the bass was a larger gain, but perhaps that is just where I was listening more. Enjoy and share more!

Very interesting, GSS61. I first noticed the much better bass, but you hear the treble. I think it is better across the entire range, but thought the bass was a larger gain, but perhaps that is just where I was listening more. Enjoy and share more!
I'm using mine in a computer desktop near field setup... Dayton B652 bookshelf speakers modified with silk soft dome tweeters and two-way crossovers, plus a separately powered 10" subwoofer under the desk.

The Daytons are running full range, but really don't have much output below 80 Hz or so... I'd probably need to hook these little amps to some decent size floor standers to notice the difference in their bass response LOL

A few more details on the new Volt now called the "Volt+D". Every cap in the audio path is film and the inductors are much larger. It includes a muting switch and adjustable gain of 20 and 26dbs. From the picture I saw on diyaudio it may only come with a volume control mounted in an acrylic case. The only downside is the price which has doubled. I hope to have one soon.

Found this gorgeous picture of the Volt+

a1d6e8b6a52f6eb4a565c4c2272132bf2ba17c59.JPG

To each his own, of course, but I really dislike that case. I don't mind showing of the circuit board in some cases and if you've got tubes, you gotta show 'em, but I just don't like that particular case. This is only one opinion. Also for me, sound quality trumps most other things.

But I still like Poultrygeist! :)

Definitely a matter of taste, which is fine IMHO. I actually like it but I've had trouble picturing it with my other gear. Should probably go in its own space somewhere. I guess those tiny holes in the top are adequate since it won't generate much if any heat. Was also disappointed to see how the price has escalated, but then I need another amp like a hole in the head.

To each his own, of course, but I really dislike that case. I don't mind showing of the circuit board in some cases and if you've got tubes, you gotta show 'em, but I just don't like that particular case. This is only one opinion. Also for me, sound quality trumps most other things.

Yes and I like you as well. I doubt it would blend with most folk's gear. Reminds me of Wonder Women's plane in the comics of my childhood.

What sorta money are we looking at for the latest board ?
Prices aren't listed yet for the Volt+D but if it's like the picture I posted it would be $138 ( twice the current $69 price tag ). I don't know if the bare board power amp version will be available but I suspect many of us who use preamps would like that option.

I posted on the DIY Audio forum's vendor page to inquire whether the board would be available by itself w/ no case/attenuator. I already have an enclosure set up for TPA "rolling" so no need for the other bits. Here's the vendor's response:

We never planned on selling it like this, but I guess its possible. Contact allo CS and we will try to accommodate you .

A few more details on the new Volt now called the "Volt+D". Every cap in the audio path is film and the inductors are much larger. It includes a muting switch and adjustable gain of 20 and 26dbs. From the picture I saw on diyaudio it may only come with a volume control mounted in an acrylic case. The only downside is the price which has doubled. I hope to have one soon.

Now (for me anyway) it's a matter of trying to judge if the SQ is different (better) enough to justify the extra outlay.
They certainly seem to look similar. I don't need the extra power FWIW.

Finally, the dual mono Volt amplifier is here.

A class D amplifier that is really HIFI. We changed every capacitor on audio path to film. We beefed up the power supply and used a very good inductor on the output stage.

On the bottom you can chose the gain (20 and 26) as well as AM bandwidth avoidance circuit.

Overall the Volt+D will double the power available to your speaker, THD+N is better and sound quality was improved as well. Of course the stepped attenuator is included.

(Power available depends on PSU voltage, formula is V square / R, so for a 23v its about 60W per channel).
Features
  • 2 x 60W Dual mono class D
  • Mute switch
  • 20dB/26dB gain switch
  • Power Connector Jack Barrel size: 3.00mm ID (0.118"), 6.50mm OD (0.256")
  • Gold plated RCA and Speaker terminals10K 24 position stepped attenuator
  • 5mm acrylic case
So the previous Volt+ was not 'dual mono' meaning components were shared between the channels? Is that right?

No heatsinks on those chips? It is a dual 3118?

Yes, exactly, I'll need to try to figure out if the SQ is better than the 3116 and 3250 units I have.

A couple of photos of the Volt+D (click to enlarge), for thread reference:

volt-plus-d-amplifier.jpg

The regular Volt+ for comparison:
volt-plus-stepped-attenuator.jpg

This may seem trivial to some but I'm not crazy about the rear panel layout.
Proximity of one of the inputs with the speaker terminals to be specific.

Back
Top Bottom