Stereo solutions to appease a not so understanding spouse

I didn't read this whole thread, but I read enough to appreciate my wife that much more. She agreed to removing all the living room furniture, and replacing it with two stressless type recliners so the stereo would sound better. I had a wife that thought I needed to be bossed around, had.

And btw why are so many guys into Hi Fi married to people that won't tolerate it. It must be a drag to have a spouse totally intolerant of something they love.

Because they didn't get to know their potential spouse well enough before marriage or perhaps said guy appears to think or care more about the HI-FI than his wife.

I think in
Because they didn't get to know their potential spouse well enough before marriage or perhaps said guy appears to think or care more about the HI-FI than his wife.
I think in General that having spouses support and nurture each others interests is a pretty good recipe for mutual happiness..I also think intolerance of one or the others interests does just the opposite...of course it's a given based on this post that those interests are not illegal or based in cheating, poor money management etc...

If it's really important to you, and having the stereo set up in the living room cramps the other person's style, then the obvious solution is a dedicated room for the stereo. Unless you live in a really expensive city where apartments are invariably cramped and space is at an incredible premium, making a dedicated room a priority would seem to be essential. Even a small room, if that's all that's possible, is better than nothing.

When contemplating married life, " extreme vetting" is mandatory. Marriage is compromise, what are you willing to sacrifice? A hi $$ designer purse won't hold any more crap than a used thrift store special, but a well-chosen sound system will blow away any Walmart or big-box plug&-play set-up. Of course, logic is all too frequently lost on those who one can't reason with.
Been there, done that.
My cats groove on tunage, even the loud headbanger type. If it gets too much, they calmly walk away, but a couple have the ability to sleep thru the :rockon:. Believe it or not, i think theyre metalheads, too. They also get steady doses of classical, which they tolerate well. & all still have excellent hearing.
No complaints, cheaper to feed/maintain, & they don't spend money. Domestic tranquility reigns here. ..=^.I.^= :music:

Buy some expensive and beautiful headphones, add a really nice headphone amp and DAC if needed, they take up little space. Solves two problems high end audio for you and real estate is saved for her.:thmbsp:
I have some really nice head phones, but I prefer my big Altec speakers. I have to agree with you and say it is an excellent idea you have for this poor guy, while he's at it , he should find some kind of isolation head gear to totally block this woman out!

Love my wife even more now. Allows the main system in the main living area, as well as another system in a different area. In that area I can have as much set up or torn down as I want. Main system just needs to be neat. Can swap out as much stuff as I want as long as it’s neat.

She asked me several years ago what I wanted for Christmas. I told her nothing, just let me build a sound system like I had when I was younger. She told me ok, but don’t bankrupt us and never miss a bill payment, or you’re dead................I’M ALIVE!!!

In regard to the original poster years ago..... If it were possible to afford building an addition on either the house or garage that was 100% audio / home theater strictly... with maybe a pool table and other adult games.... Memorabilia etc.... Then you can have a wall of speakers...& Theater surround sound with many different amps, receivers, turntables, Tech Decks, real to real machine, and all the fun stuff.
Build this addition with the best soundproofing you can afford so that when you're out side of the room it's not heard elsewhere...

So, how does everybody make their stereo systems tolerable for a not so understanding spouse or significant other? Reason I ask is this- I want to set up a listening area that doesn't involve the TV. Half of my living room/great room is largely unused, and I wanted to set it up as a listening area. Bought a 4x4 Expedit shelf to house my growing vinyl and existing CD collection, was going to put turntable, cd player and receiver on top, with speakers on the side. Wife tells me she doesn't like how it looks. Speakers are too big. I toss the idea of bookshelf speakers and sub, and can even mount speakers to the wall so they are up out of the way. Her response- "there has to be a better way". I mention built-in speakers, to which she also thinks there needs to be a better way. She wants me to have an invisible system. We have no furniture on this side of the room to hide speakers, not that I want them hidden anyway. I might as well move my entire setup to the garage. Ideas? I have included a pic of what I am considering that she is not keen on.

I seem to remember small speakers, something like the B&O CX-100 that looked like
books on a shelf. Don't remember the model, or it might have been DIY where someone
printed an image of books onto cloth.
Anyone know the model or reference?

Easier to move wife to garage, then crank it up until you can't hear her piss & moan. Jeez, man! Grow a set!:whip:

I seem to remember small speakers, something like the B&O CX-100 that looked like
books on a shelf. Don't remember the model, or it might have been DIY where someone
printed an image of books onto cloth.
Anyone know the model or reference?
Are you referring to these?
saat.jpg

Mine knew what she was getting into from day one. Here's my bachelor pad circa '85 with Acoustat 2+2s. Yes, I did put up window treatments and aztec blanket to the right was hung on back wall for damping.

system198510.jpg

We later finished the basement in that house and moved system downstairs. Second house we built with purpose designed basement listening room. Current house has dedicated space upstairs. Wifey is the video enthusiast and enjoys her 1+1s thirty two years later. :)

ht082015.jpg

Back
Top Bottom