Why do gin and tonics taste so danged good

I've honestly never had gin. I should try it sometime.

As for scurvy, thats why screwdrivers exist, though it has to be not-from-concentrate OJ. Fresh squeezed is by far the best. Ruby Red grapefruit juice also works quite nicely. I can't do lime juice, otherwise I suppose a margarita would get it done too.

This gin is made near me in North Charleston, SC so I don't know if it's available nation wide. I used to buy Beefeaters but this stuff tastes better, is smoother and much cheaper.

large_2b4db086-cb26-4336-b098-06536ae9d832.jpg

I have always been turned off by Gin because I don't care for After Shave Lotion. But we have a local gastro pub with a Whiskey Loft where you can sample hundreds of Whiskey, Scotches, and Gins. I smelled a few that were not so offensive but did not try any.

And Mark, they taste so good because your taste buds are burnt from all the hot spicy foods you eat :)

I have always been turned off by Gin because I don't care for After Shave Lotion. But we have a local gastro pub with a Whiskey Loft where you can sample hundreds of Whiskey, Scotches, and Gins. I smelled a few that were not so offensive but did not try any.

And Mark, they taste so good because your taste buds are burnt from all the hot spicy foods you eat :)

Should try some of the contemporary gins that are light in juniper. New Amsterdam and several others have orange overtones or other fruit flavors. Juniper still there just isn't predominant

It is interesting to compare the “Gin” produced in the UK circa 1820 with the “rye”, “rot-gut”, whiskey served in Western saloons in my part of the world, Wyoming, in the later half of the 19th Century, especially in the 1870’s. You had a basic moonshine like distillation made with cheap grains to which was added chewing tobacco, fusel oil (Amyl Alcohol) molasses. And worse. If you want you can recreate Rot-Gut Whiskey get a bottle of Everclear and add a full leaf unflavored chewing tobacco to it and you have one of the most forms.

1E40A5AD-1F82-4CB0-B1BD-62EA567C36E9.jpeg EBA60C67-35FA-4D27-B666-575F1321F1F0.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting. I like some of the good Reverends stuff when he keeps to the blues and rockabilly but this is more edging towards early Pink Floyd. He should stick to rockabilly.

Rev has almost defined the "Psychobilly" genre. I don't think his intent was to sound like anyone else, this song was an ode to how your head feels after a few too many.

Why do gin and tonics taste so danged good
maybe its because you know the mosquito's wont bother you so much .

I don't know anyone who likes gin. Not one person. Seriously.

Best comment on it is, "I could go the rest of my life without tasting it again!".

When I was a kid and hit my parent's massive liquor cabinet (It never got drunk, the bottles just kept multiplying), I first tried a part bottle of Beefeater, and I thought it had obviously gone "bad", so I poured that out, and cracked open a new one, and it was the same. And I thought, and still do, that bourbon was bad. It was like a dream compared to gin. I have to admire anyone who wants to, or can, drink it.

Make that two. My name is John, and I am all about my gin & tonics. Can't drink the brown stuff w/o it coming back out in short order and violently at that. The worst I've ever had from drinking gin was some short-term vocal paralysis. I knew what I was trying to say the next day but couldn't get my vocal cords to participate on and off. A small price to pay for a few good cocktails the night before, IMHO.

John

Probably goes along with me being a really picky eater, but I don't really like any kind of booze. But gin is in it's own awful world. Have at it!

The medicinal term tonic could subliminally affect one's preference for gin and tonic.

I bet the Skipper would be a lot of fun to drink with.

My brother says it is because he stirs it with his finger!!

But the ones I get from him are accurately measured and lack that special ingredient.

Back
Top Bottom