MP3 Software

Walter R

I recently installed a DAC to play my MP3 collection from a Windows 10 computer. I haven’t found suitable software yet. I want to select the MP3 files by browsing the file folder structure and not by artist or genre metadata. Winamp will do this, but insists on putting the files in alphabetical order in the playlist. When I load a folder full of symphony tracks, it plays them out of order. Can anyone suggest software that will work for me?

Windows Media Player

From menu select File
Select Create Auto Playlist

Here is start C:\MusicTransfer is folder where I have tracks.

You may then have to add further criteria.

I would have to see your folder to understand your question.

upload_2018-4-26_7-53-24.png

I tried what you suggested, but Windows Media Player doesn’t do it for me. I can access my MP3 files but it still only lets me add to the playlist by Artist, Album, or Genre. I have a lot of MP3 files, and a third of them aren’t even music and don’t have this metadata. Winamp lets me browse the folder structure on the disk and add a file or a folder by name, which is what I want. The only problem is that it adds the files in alphabetical order, not in track order.

I'm sorry I can't help any further. I use windows media player exclusively. But I only play entire albums as selected through the windows folders.

I like to browse using the folder structure too. I have found that it is necessary to name the files starting with the track number to keep the correct track order. Adding additional albums to a playlist just puts them at the end and doesn't resort them.

I am using the squeeze system for my server and players. I use puddletag to edit my files which is similar to mp3tag for windows. Renaming files with track numbers first can be done in a batch automatically.

I suppose I could. It’s only with the symphonies that I care about it. I have 180 ripped symphony CDs, so it would be a job renaming them.

When I select all and highlight all songs on and album, right click then select add to windows media player list it adds and plays them in the order in my file structure. Which, is in track order. As this was playing I selected another artist's album, selected all files, right clicked and add to playlist and again it added those in track order following the previos selected tracks. My music collection is NOT in the media player library. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Turns out I don’t have a problem. When I ripped my CDs the program inserted the track number at the beginning of the file name. I just wasn’t selecting sort by file name in Winamp. Sorry for wasting your time!

Turns out I don’t have a problem. When I ripped my CDs the program inserted the track number at the beginning of the file name. I just wasn’t selecting sort by file name in Winamp. Sorry for wasting your time!
:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant: just kidding

As an avid hater of Windows Media Player, I can highly recommend JRiver Media Center.
When it comes to digital music, if it can't do it, you don't need to do it.

I've never enjoyed using the Windoze product. So I licensed a copy of JRiver Media Center and haven't looked back. I'm very happy with it.

Only problem with Winamp now is that I can’t seem to load 2 or more albums to a playlist without all the track 1s followed by all the track 2s, etc. There doesn’t seem to be a way to list by file name for each album.

JRiver allows you to sort by file name, album name, song title, track number, artist, bitrate, song length, genre, and about 50 other conditionals.
You can sort by multiple conditions, and set the priority that each one applies to the query (mine lists in ascending order first by artist, then by album, then by track number).
I used the program to rename all my files in the following format: Artist - Album - Track# - Title, so even if I just sorted by filename, I'd get the same results.

If I want to listen to a certain group, i just type the name in a search box and it only shows music by that group. I can sort it any way i want, or can set it to shuffle the list.
I haven't even scratched the surface of what it can do and I've been using it for years.

I have none of those issues with Winamp. I select the contents of a folder, right click it and choose Play in Winamp in the menu. For following folders, I select the songs, right click and choose Enqueue in Winamp. These choices enter the music in the same choice the folder is chosen. You have to grab the files from the bottom up and right click the top file.

I have none of those issues with Winamp. I select the contents of a folder, right click it and choose Play in Winamp in the menu. For following folders, I select the songs, right click and choose Enqueue in Winamp. These choices enter the music in the same choice the folder is chosen. You have to grab the files from the bottom up and right click the top file.
I’ll give it a try. I’ve been add folders using the add button in Winamp.

I highly recommend Foobar.

The effect you describe in Winamp sometimes happens...from my memory...because you click-drag to select everything by making a box and pick stuff up out of order...or sometimes it's something as crazy as the file entry in the FAT table being weird.

I recently installed a DAC to play my MP3 collection from a Windows 10 computer. I haven’t found suitable software yet. I want to select the MP3 files by browsing the file folder structure and not by artist or genre metadata. Winamp will do this, but insists on putting the files in alphabetical order in the playlist. When I load a folder full of symphony tracks, it plays them out of order. Can anyone suggest software that will work for me?

Any decent media manager/player will do that for you, and much more. Once you start using metadata searching, you will get used to it, and find it more natural.

I'd suggest MediaMonkey. It presents both physical (as per your folders) and logical (based on metadata) views of your library, with equal prominence. Some tend to be biased towards the logical/metadata view. Within the physical view, you can still order by whichever metadata field you want; track number, track name, date, file size, track volume, etc. etc...

Do you have VLC on your computer?
If all you want to do is load up a few albums for playback it'll do that just fine. Right click on the folder, select 'Add to VLC media player playlist', and then repeat.

Back
Top Bottom