ABBA is back, a little bit...

Are you interested in their latest tunes?

• Yes

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • ABBA?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually have a soft spot for well crafted Pop music. I used to like ABBA back in the day, but not so much now.

-Dave

I'm a huge fan of their early recordings but "Mama Mia" did nothing for me. If their new stuff is more like the old stuff then I'm in. If it's "Mama Mia" type I'm out. That song irritates me. However "Dancing Queen" and "Take a Chance" still rock me as much as they always did.

Abba is a guilty pleasure for most ... the bass line in Super Trooper is among the finest recorded on a pop LP.

abba abba abba ...

0682e26f337825b366e8e3e3e0003ad1.jpg

... or not. Same band members as original just hoping to cruise on the name?

I'm a huge fan of their early recordings but "Mama Mia" did nothing for me. If their new stuff is more like the old stuff then I'm in. If it's "Mama Mia" type I'm out. That song irritates me. However "Dancing Queen" and "Take a Chance" still rock me as much as they always did.
Agreed. I like a lot of their songs, but Mama Mia isn't one of them. "One Of Us" is one of my favorites.

I didn't know they were doing anything new. I might try listening to it, but won't get my hopes up that it'll be anything good. I got excited when Blondie put out an album in the late '90s. I bought it, listened to it, hated it, and immediately got rid of it.

I like a fair bit of ABBA, including Mamma Mia. I was going to say I mostly like their faster songs, then I thought of S.O.S. and Fernando so...
I've got The Definitive Collection two disk set and I'll skip 5 or 6 songs not counting the re-mixes.
I did list the ladies in the Favorite Female Artists thread.

I confess to never giving them a chance. Just recently, a guy whose opinions I respect played a few excerpts and convinced me that they did have some good piano/keyboard parts, and some vocals that didn't make me angry.
I'd give the new stuff a listen, hoping for some sincere, mature artist work.

Interesting twist - plan is to do a tour, but use digital avatars of their 70's selves on stage. On the bright side, their fan's won't have to be embarrassed watching their idols tripping over their chins on stage while they toddle about on their walkers ... <G>

That said - can't say as I ever got off on their music, but gotta admit, their poignant lyrics kept me listening ...

You are the Dairy Queen, not so lean, only seventeen!
Dairy Queen sees the gleam from the ice cream, oh yeah!
You can eat, you can dive... into the meal of your life... oohoohoo! See that pig, she makes a scene, dig in Ms. Dairy Queen!

Who cares which flavor, you'll try them all
The calories up, nutrition null
As you scarf down another, people stop to stare
Come close? They wouldn't dare!

You haven't got a care...

Last edited:
I prefer their later music as they ventured into more serious stuff after their marriages ended.

I had a teenage fantasy about the blonde and the many things I would do to her if alone together for a few hours. Does that count?

Regards Snow

Same here. Don't ruin that fantasy by searching for her updated photos. She hasn't aged well as you would expect but then again, none of us have. :no:
Also, disco still sucks. :p

I was in Germany during the entire 2nd half of the 70s. I listened to German radio, and enjoyed it. In those days, there was pretty much one station in Southwest Germany, SWF3. It played different kinds of music at different times of the day. I developed quite a taste for European pop, which included Dr. Hook, and ABBA. I recorded quite a bit of it, since German radio quality was worthy. I especially enjoyed Pop Shop (music for my generation) and Pop Shop Party (live music from various locations). Truth be told, I enjoyed music from just about any genre they played, this includes the old time German pop, from the 40s, and so. I recorded quite a bit of it all. I play it, when I want to go back there.

I even have a significant amount of AFR (American Forces Radio) on tape. I remember those days in Germany with great fondness. If my term had run out while I was there, I might still be there, to this day.

Yes. I like ABBA. I am unashamed.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom