Shipping McIntosh For Service -- Do You Insure The Shipment?

feinstei

AK Member
I have to send my MR-88 tuner to Audio Classics for some service. I have the original McIntosh packaging for the tuner. I am probably going to ship it UPS Ground. For those of you who have done this before, would you insure the package for the full replacement value (which I believe is about $5000), partial replacement value, or just have faith that it'll get to Audio Classics okay and not insure the package at all? I will be shipping from South Bend, IN to Vestal, NY...

I have no faith in any shipping company.
If it's destroy-able, lose-able, damage-able, they've all done it.

Insure for full value, but be prepared to fully prove that value should something happen.
Unlike the old days, they don't take your word when paying out an insurance claim.
Provenance is key.

Insure for full value, and take plenty of pictures, before sealing the boxes, in case you have to prove that it was properly packed (which you will have to do, if you file a claim).

X3. Insure for full replacement value, take pictures, keep a copy of the shipping documents and use factory packaging.

The insurer will only pay what the unit is actually worth, so don't insure it for more than that.

The cheapest way is for Audio Classics to send you a call tag for UPS pick-up and they will insure it both ways. Out of the many back and forths with AC I have had two damage pieces arrive. Then UPS had to pay big time for both instances. They lost my MX 119 for month when I sent it to AC as a trade in for my MX 151. AC doesn't charge you big time for shipping so you save big time over paying consumer rates when you ship a piece to AC. Thee only time it costs is when you don't have original packing or your shipping containers needs replacement. Remember their shipping containers have twice the factory crush, puncture, and tare ratings.

Last edited:
The cheapest way is for Audio Classics to send you a call tag for UPS pick-up and they will insure it both ways.

Twiii -- you are a fount of helpful advice.... Thanks again! I've already spoken to Ryan about the MR88 problem (dial leaving "ghosts"). I'll call him again today and have him issue the call tag....

Buy a current news paper. When you pack the MR88, take pictures of each stage with the paper folded so you can see part of the front page. I'd take the call tag into a UPS store and get a receipt that they received it. UPS is far more likely to pay a claim on a commercial account than a private one. The company loses more revenue when they lose commercial accounts.

I used pictures like I described to take UPS to court. They tried to settle right outside of court but the judge wasn't not having it. I got paid for the amplifier and got to keep it as well. FedEx backed down and paid damages. I didn't have to sue them. They are just as bad for damages on ground shipments.

Boy Kevin... You must have gone through hell! I think that the best idea though was to have Audio Classics deal with the shipping/insurance since they are a commercial entity. Luckily, as you may have read, a simple firmware upgrade to my MR-88 fixed the issue completely. Luckily.... no dealings with shippers!!!!

How far are you from Audio Classics? If reasonable, drive it there yourself. A tech I use in Northern Il, had a client drive his Mac's there from New York. While I was picking up my amp, (recapping). He showed me a Mac that arrived in original packaging for service. He said he could hear broken glass through the box as it was being delivered, and the box appeared to be in good shape. He was waiting to hear back from his client prior to opening it.

How far are you from Audio Classics? If reasonable, drive it there yourself. A tech I use in Northern Il, had a client drive his Mac's there from New York. While I was picking up my amp, (recapping). He showed me a Mac that arrived in original packaging for service. He said he could hear broken glass through the box as it was being delivered, and the box appeared to be in good shape. He was waiting to hear back from his client prior to opening it.

I no longer need to ship my beloved MR-88. The problem was fixed by a simple firmware update from v1.10 to v1.11 and the known firmware bug that I was experiencing was fixed in v1.11....

Back
Top Bottom