Looking to purchase a new CD player

7.62. Utilizing your logic, I should not believe what you are saying then. :biggrin:

I did read reviews from other sites like Crutchfield and a couple other resellers of the unit and it appears to be a big problem with people that purchase it from Amazon. Much less so from other sources. Problem right now is that it is no longer readily available brand new and it would appear it is being phased out by Onkyo. Amazon still has it for sale in new condition but Crutchfield does not nor Best Buy.

I'm seeing a lot of reviews on Amazon from people that said skipping is a real problem. I am wondering if Amazon gets B stock or returns from Onkyo and then resells as allegedly being new units? I will check some other sites like Crutchfield to see if about the same percentage of reviewers as Amazon reviewers are claiming they have this problem.

You have to take reviews with a grain of salt and watch for cues that the reviewer shouldn't be taken seriously. After a while you start to get a feel for which reviews to really consider and which are written by people who aren't quite right. Like for example, when someone gives a product one star because shipping was bad. Anything that person reviews is tainted because they don't know WTF they are talking about.

Now the skipping thing is real and has to do with the product directly... but at least Amazon has a no-hassle return policy. Just make sure its AMAZON and not some crappy third party vendor. Some 3rd party vendors are great, and some are garbage.

Manny. Yes, I do understand this. Precisely why my only real concern with the Onkyo is the skipping problem. Aside from that, it seems to be a good CD player. If I buy it I will be sure to get the extended warranty.

Looking at the Emotiva CD 100 as well. Made in the USA. New unit and has a 3 year warranty. Won't decide for at least another week or two while I continue to research each model in my price range.

Onkyo 7030 is great especially if using a external DAC. I had one and worked great but sold since i'm using a Mac Mini as a music server now. 7030 can be had used on Amazon right now for $120

Hard to believe with streaming from laptops and phones that I am looking for a CDP but I still have a lot of Red Book CDs so I have been looking at the 7030 closely.

This kind of puts a red flag on the 7030. I was hoping the internal DAC was good enough to warrant not needing an external DAC. I can get a used CDP to use as a transport for much less.

Also, I am now leaning towards a CDP that has a Bluetooth interface for streaming for max versatility. I mostly listen to digital for background music while working or entertaining. Otherwise I spin vinyl.

Do you believe everything you read on the internet ?

You've got plenty of guys here including myself that are having a lot of fun with the 7030, if your that worried it's gonna die, skip whatever, hell any machine can do that regardless of cost. It's not like your out 1000's of dollars.

Just sayin.
:thumbsup:

Manny. Yes, I do understand this. Precisely why my only real concern with the Onkyo is the skipping problem. Aside from that, it seems to be a good CD player. If I buy it I will be sure to get the extended warranty.

Looking at the Emotiva CD 100 as well. Made in the USA. New unit and has a 3 year warranty. Won't decide for at least another week or two while I continue to research each model in my price range.
Once again. Three 7030s. Never had an issue with skipping. Good luck with whatever you buy, and enjoy.

Last edited:

I would still choose the XBOX. One heck of a bargain. :)

Look around for a Tascam DV-RA1000. The rack ears will come off if you don't like them, and as an added bonus, it records too. And yes, it sounds great.

Same here. And it's actually good to know because many times you can find the same equipment without the expensive brand name. Not that Emotiva is expensive in relative terms.

I've heard that Tone Winner is the brand that makes Emotiva and I went to look on the website... very interesting...

https://www.china-hifi-audio.com/en...r-c-26?zenid=0e4256e25d1603b4069a72cec5d3db0b

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Emotiva's China-made BasX line came out of the same factory as Tone Winner, however from comparing interior chassis shots of a equivalent integrated amps from both brands, it is pretty obvious that Emotiva is not merely re-badging Tone Winner gear.

The Emotiva website says that their products are made in the USA. Perhaps some products are but others are not then.

Does anyone know why the DAC in the Onkyo CD player is inferior? Is it one of the lower level Wolfson's inside?

I just took a quick look at what an XBOX is. I don't play computer games and would not use any of the other stuff on it. I am only interested in a good sounding CD player.

Thanks Lumpy. I've read some reviews on their CD players and they stand up well to those of major manufacturers in the same price range. A 3 year warranty is a sign they are willing to stand by their product. No need to buy an extended warranty with the CD-100.

Although I don't own an Emotiva CD player, I do own two of their products (DAC, HT Processor). They are IMO great performers and superb bang for the buck devices. I also like the look. Mine have the Silver end panels which can be changed to the Black ones. Their customer service is also a class act.

Joe. Thanks for the info. My way of thinking is this. They are a small company and likely value each and every sale they make. They can't afford to send out bad products since they probably have a thinner profit margin compared to the big companies that can absorb losses more easily. That being the case, they will very likely be more inclined to insure each unit sent out for sale is going to work properly for many years.

Back
Top Bottom