Pioneer help for noob...

arcspark

Afternoon, would anyone like to take a crack at helpin me figure out whats goin on with this integrated 6500 ii? Picked it up cheap, cleaned it up and out, deoxed the controls but the right channel has loads of static with cd plugged into aux... speaker a and a and b....left channel crystal clear....crystal....but roll the balance control and it goes bad right now.....ive got to believe i should be able test something and get some values...any thoughts, thanks, arc

It sounds like more Deoxit to me.
Loudness selector is one of the key switches.
All the controls have the signal running through them regardless of the position. They all must be cleaned to evaluate the amp.

Hey thanks zeb.....will keep at it for awhile. Will focus on loudness switch too....also looking down on the board it seems like maybe caps leaked or something as there is a dried hardened tan fluid especially on the left by three large caps and on the right by the single large one there...alot of stain on the ones left side....any thoughts appreciated....arc

Its probably the glue Pioneer used to mount the caps. It gets rubbery and can be removed safely with a dull exacto blade.

If that amp has High and Low filter switches, they are also a good place to check Try cycling the switches on and off 50 times, turn on the amp and see if that helped. Just for future reference, you only need to check A. A and B are coming from the same point in the amp.

Ok thanks to all, well it doesnt appear to be switch related.....i have deoxed to the point of waste and no real change...flipped switches hundreds of times....so now what baby steps should be done?... ive read a post about maybe bad transistors but i dont know....any thoughts to at least diagnose what to possibly fix....thanks for listening, arc

unplug input rca cables . see if still bad . try different input selector position . also try every switch and control . see what is common to all inputs that affects it mostly .

Typical. Balance knob always seems crankier, probably because they sit in one position for years at a time and then when someone finally rotates it, it spreads all that oxidation crap around. I soak it good and stand the box up on the short side and rotate it every hour or so along with working the dial. Sometimes you have to hit it two or three times over the course of a couple days. Remove the bottom cover and squirt it in from there too. Deoxit Gold seems to work better. Sooner or later it'll break lose.

unplug input rca cables . see if still bad . try different input selector position . also try every switch and control . see what is common to all inputs that affects it mostly .

Good advice. I had one where the cap on the input jack was covered with some sort of slimy goo that was preventing contact, cleaned each one with a qtip and contact cleaner and it came to life.

Ok cleaning hasnt helped...been told to maybe use some freeze spray to possibly isolate a problem...is there a certain type and are there rules to follow? Thanks arc

Try the CD input on one of the TAPE inputs to determine if the problem still exists. The ONLY difference between the AUX and TAPE inputs is the function switch.

Also test it with the LOUDNESS switch on and off to detect any differences.

isolate the problem, try CDP into different high-level inputs (Aux, FM), then try CDP into
tape monitors (1,2) which are after the inputs and selectors, etc.

you can then isolate the problem to the preamp/line stage, or the power amp stage.

download the service manual, for the schematic, and if you're game, jumper the
switches (anything on the front) and see if it's a switch problem. do use insulated
probes that clip onto the test points, don't use them manually - one slip and some
thing gets destroyed.

since you have one good channel, you can trace the sound and determine where it
goes bad.

there's so much to do before replacing transistors. could be cold/bad/flakey solder
joints. my static problems were with old/bad caps. (you've identified that with one
good channel it's not the core portion of the power supply). etc.

Ok, its been awhile but here goes .....facts and questions....after cleaning, recleaning every switch multiple times its prob not corrosion, so following what bob, watthour said i tried every input but phono and nothing changes..still bad distorsion, static on right channel. On to something else so when you said jumper switches do you mean to temp bypass to remove them one at a time from the circuit?? If so can you example that for me ?? As the original post stated...NOOB.. i understand the idea of a jumper but want to be sure to do it right...Also... i tested dc bias tonite and right side is 50.6, left is 37.2, fyi....thank you, arc

dont forget the mic jack .it has switched contacts and if something was plugged in there recently it may have caused a bad connection .
saying that it should only affect phono .

Back
Top Bottom