Apple TV to DAC to vintage receiver Marantz 2275

powellc3

Hello,

New here to this forum and I have a question regarding streaming audio files using Apple TV 3rd gen. First, here is a rundown of my system. I have a Marantz 2275 analog 2 channel receiver. The Apple TV has an optical out which I have connected to a DAC and then RCA to the receiver and that works perfectly. What I would like to do is have audio from my TV also through my receiver but the DAC only has on Optical In. My Apple TV is connected to my TV using HDMI cable and my TV has optical out ports. If I run the optical from my TV to the DAC then into receiver I can send both TV and audio (iTunes) songs to my receiver. The question is; do I lose any audio quality on audio files by running the audio from Apple TV (HDMI) to my television and then back out by Optical cable to the receiver? I realize that I am streaming 256 so they aren't hi-res audio files, but I don't want to further decrease the stream quality.

Your scenario should work fine. HDMI carries digital audio, so the TV is just passing thru the digital to it's optical out, you won't lose anything. Just set the TV digital out to PCM

Hello,

New here to this forum and I have a question regarding streaming audio files using Apple TV 3rd gen. First, here is a rundown of my system. I have a Marantz 2275 analog 2 channel receiver. The Apple TV has an optical out which I have connected to a DAC and then RCA to the receiver and that works perfectly. What I would like to do is have audio from my TV also through my receiver but the DAC only has on Optical In. My Apple TV is connected to my TV using HDMI cable and my TV has optical out ports. If I run the optical from my TV to the DAC then into receiver I can send both TV and audio (iTunes) songs to my receiver. The question is; do I lose any audio quality on audio files by running the audio from Apple TV (HDMI) to my television and then back out by Optical cable to the receiver? I realize that I am streaming 256 so they aren't hi-res audio files, but I don't want to further decrease the stream quality.
Some TVs will reclock bit rate. If your using Itunes only not an issue. Streaming tidal hifi on apple TV 4. I have had better sound wit TV out of the chain.

Some TVs will reclock bit rate. If your using Itunes only not an issue. Streaming tidal hifi on apple TV 4. I have had better sound wit TV out of the chain.

I realize anything going thru an extra step is not ideal, but in no way should degrade his 256kpbs streaming. When i listen seriously i use Audirvana from MacMini and integrate Tidal thru that, and yeah that's going to sound better, but Tidal on ATV still sounded better than Apple Music (which i love and listen too as well when not using Music Server)

Back
Top Bottom