How to play DSD using Topping D50 and Mac

periclimenes

Hello,

I'm finding the DSD to be a little confusing. If I purchase the DSD version of some album and would like to play those using a Mac to my D50, what's the best way to do that?

Thanks!

There are two ways of playing DSD.

The first is a method called DoP. Software packs the DSD data in to the lower 16 bits of a 176.4khz 24bit PCM stream...the upper 8 bits are used to identify it was DoP. Then the USB controller in the DAC is able to flip the actual DAC chip to DSD mode and feeds it.

Theres also native, in which you send the DSD stream natively. This however requires ASIO support and has only recently bwcome available universally.

https://exasound.com/Blog/tabid/74/...ophile-Player-with-Mac-OS-X-ASIO-Support.aspx

This is what I found on the subject. The Topping supports both DoP and native.

I do not know anymore beyond that...and for *years* OSX users were just SOL on DSD support...then DoP was created. But I have no idea how to do DoP playback on Mac.

There are two ways of playing DSD.

The first is a method called DoP. Software packs the DSD data in to the lower 16 bits of a 176.4khz 24bit PCM stream...the upper 8 bits are used to identify it was DoP. Then the USB controller in the DAC is able to flip the actual DAC chip to DSD mode and feeds it.

Theres also native, in which you send the DSD stream natively. This however requires ASIO support and has only recently bwcome available universally.

https://exasound.com/Blog/tabid/74/...ophile-Player-with-Mac-OS-X-ASIO-Support.aspx

This is what I found on the subject. The Topping supports both DoP and native.

I do not know anymore beyond that...and for *years* OSX users were just SOL on DSD support...then DoP was created. But I have no idea how to do DoP playback on Mac.
Thanks for that explanation. Anyone know how to do DoP playback on a mac?

In your media player software, can you select the output device? Is there one called something like "DSD : ASIO : Topping USB Audio Device"? Your media player has to be able to stream DSD native (or DoP if that's available) but native DSD playback is better if possible. You normally have to configure the media player to do that, usually they are not set up that way in their default settings. Topping says no driver is needed for MACs but that's all I know. My setup is Windows 10 based.

I thought ASIO isn't a thing in Mac world. You need a player that can send DSD to your DAC, either as DSD-native or DoP. Looks like Audirvana can do it, so can JRiver. I'm not a Mac user.

In your media player software, can you select the output device? Is there one called something like "DSD : ASIO : Topping USB Audio Device"? Your media player has to be able to stream DSD native (or DoP if that's available) but native DSD playback is better if possible. You normally have to configure the media player to do that, usually they are not set up that way in their default settings. Topping says no driver is needed for MACs but that's all I know. My setup is Windows 10 based.
Thanks for that. It looks like my media player (VLC) doesn't support DSD. I need to find one for OS X that does. I see a couple that you have to pay for but, if anyone knows a free option for Mac, please chime in!

You'd be hard pressed to find a well executed player like this for free. I highly recommend Audrivana on Mac and since it's my main audio source, didn't mind ponying up for this great program. They offer a free 30-day trial. Great user community on 2 different forums as well.

Not a Mac person, but found this somewhat older link by someone running MusicBee on Mac.
I have a D50 running WASAPI (ie, DOP) on the very latest patch version of MusicBee3, and works fine so far.

The DSD : ASIO outputs are a direct result of Foobar SACD plugin.

He won't have those on Mac.

Also...you can do it over WASAPI as well. This is what I do as it allows me to keep using shared mode output when Foobar isn't playing. Otherwise I have to reinitalize.

I have a few DSD masters that I did a long time ago. I found that the Mac player VOX recognizes the file format, and plays them. Beyond that,... downstream, etc., I'm not sure what it takes. But, Vox does make the files play.

Back
Top Bottom