Anybody using SUT on their Supreme?

punprankster

So I recently adopted a Model 500 from another AK'er, and i tried using my Denon DL-103R on my Denon DP-59 on it. Plugged it in both Phono 1 and 2 inputs, and played around with the gain and Impedance settings. I can only get a decent amount of volume out of it by turning the Attenuator switch to the up position and cranking the volume knob to the 12 -3 o'clock position. All other inputs are fine and I haven't tried a MM cart on it yet.
So is the Model 500/600 designed to accept MC carts directly, or if you guys are using a SUT what would you recommend that won't break the bank? Any help would be appreiated.

So I recently adopted a Model 500 from another AK'er, and i tried using my Denon DL-103R on my Denon DP-59 on it. Plugged it in both Phono 1 and 2 inputs, and played around with the gain and Impedance settings. I can only get a decent amount of volume out of it by turning the Attenuator switch to the up position and cranking the volume knob to the 12 -3 o'clock position. All other inputs are fine and I haven't tried a MM cart on it yet.
So is the Model 500/600 designed to accept MC carts directly, or if you guys are using a SUT what would you recommend that won't break the bank? Any help would be appreiated.

The Denon DL-103R has a output of 0.25 mV, you can use most SUT. :music:

Check Ebay for used Denon SUT.

Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-AU-3...338302&hash=item441c0d7578:g:DrcAAOSwBcNa1yxa

As mentioned in the supreme thread, playing music with the attn switch at anything but 0db is dangerous and not what it's designed for. In the Supremes case zero db is all the way up.

As mentioned in the supreme thread, playing music with the attn switch at anything but 0db is dangerous and not what it's designed for. In the Supremes case zero db is all the way up.

The Attenuator settings are 0, -15 and -30.
20180502_175937.jpg

What is the danger of playing music with the attenuator setting at the highest level? Will it damage the amp?

So I guess the Supremes were not built to accept LOMC carts without an SUT?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180502-031619_Amazon Music.jpg
    Screenshot_20180502-031619_Amazon Music.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
The Attenuator settings are 0, -15 and -30.
View attachment 1177878

What is the danger of playing music with the attenuator setting at the highest level? Will it damage the amp?

So imagine you are playing the music at a relatively high level but you have the attenuator at the -15db level. You would have to have the output level considerably high for this arrangement. Then you accidentally throw or bump that switch to zero. You just added 15db to the output! Maybe not dangerous depending on your speakers, but it isn't something I would ever want to have happen. Zero db is where it belongs except when the phone rings..

upload_2018-5-2_16-39-13.png

I also usually have the ATT switch set to O except when the first detent is too loud for my mood, which is hardly ever.

View attachment 1177925

I also usually have the ATT switch set to O except when the first detent is too loud for my mood, which is hardly ever.
Well that could be a consideration depending on room size/speaker sensitivity that I didn't think of before. I wouldn't care for having that amount of attenuation there to be instantly released with the accidental flip of a switch, but then again my setup is a 700C and 700M in which case I have backed off the power levels on the M to about 3 where I don't need to use that attenuation switch.

So how does this work?
So you can boost a signal from an MC cart actively or passively. The SUT does it passively - and is favoured by more as a more "pure" approach. The Boozehound is a JFET pre-pre amp which boosts the signal from the MC cart (which is very low level) to MM level - to be fed into an MM phono stage. This approach is generally less favoured. I have a very small low level hum with mine, however that could be caused by many things. SUTs can also reputedly cause some hum in certain cases - howeverI have never heard one. The approach I took can be more cost-effective.

So you can boost a signal from an MC cart actively or passively. The SUT does it passively - and is favoured by more as a more "pure" approach. The Boozehound is a JFET pre-pre amp which boosts the signal from the MC cart (which is very low level) to MM level - to be fed into an MM phono stage. This approach is generally less favoured. I have a very small low level hum with mine, however that could be caused by many things. SUTs can also reputedly cause some hum in certain cases - howeverI have never heard one. The approach I took can be more cost-effective.
Just buy an MM cartridge or a boosted MC cartridge. There are some great MM cartridges being made at all price points. As for MC carts, less and less made and good ones are in the high end. I just keep looking at signal to noise specs for MC and it's just a no for me.

Just buy an MM cartridge or a boosted MC cartridge. There are some great MM cartridges being made at all price points. As for MC carts, less and less made and good ones are in the high end. I just keep looking at signal to noise specs for MC and it's just a no for me.
Ummm, sure - but some buy MC because they like and prefer the sound of them to MM carts that they have heard. Im one of those. Some carts are LOMC and if you like them enough, you just need to address the fact that they are low output

Back
Top Bottom