Onkyo: Vintage or New?

Skytoucher

Hi! First time user here.
I’ve recently gotten into the analog/vintage game and I’m piecing together a setup.
I have a Technics table that I’m enjoying, and recently I purchased a pair of Polk S10 floor speakers (rated at 91dB and 8ohms).
Now I just need a receiver/amp.

The big thing here is budget. I’m a stay at home dad and I’ve been tormenting myself trying to decide on a new 2 channel receiver or a vintage one.

Coincidentally, my top choices right now are an Onkyo Tx-8020 (new, 50w/channel, $165), and an Onkyo A-7070 (70w/channel) that I can get for $65.

I like the peace of mind of the new one but just worry that it won’t be powerful enough in my big ass basement. The old one has the extra power but I’ve read they may not be too reliable, plus this is a private seller so I won’t be able to tell the condition it’s in (besides the fact it looks pretty clean from the outside. The guy claims it’s tested fine.)

I’ve also looked at other new, budget receivers with more power but they never have phono inputs...

Any and all thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Look into the older TX line - 1500, 2500, 4500, 6500, 8500(MKIIs) - They are relatively inexpensive compared to other manufactures in their class not sure why because they are absolute beasts(Onkyo was veeery conservative with the power specs for these), and very nice to look at too, There's also the TX 3000 and 5000 which are a little more modern(looks and features)

You certainly would not go wrong with Onkyo's new receivers. I recently re-entered into the hobby, and an Onkyo is currently driving my player/turntables and speakers.

You certainly would not go wrong with Onkyo's new receivers. I recently re-entered into the hobby, and an Onkyo is currently driving my player/turntables and speakers.
Great thanks for the input!
Like I said in the post, I’m def going budget.
I feel like a may be overthinking it- so you don’t think the 8020 and it’s 50+50 would be an issue? My basement is at least 25’x25’...
I like it loud but at the same time I’m not trying to have concert volume or anything.

Look into the older TX line - 1500, 2500, 4500, 6500, 8500(MKIIs) - They are relatively inexpensive compared to other manufactures in their class not sure why because they are absolute beasts(Onkyo was veeery conservative with the power specs for these), and very nice to look at too, There's also the TX 3000 and 5000 which are a little more modern(looks and features)

Thanks so much! I’d love to get ahold of one of those models, but the vintage movement is in full swing and I feel like it could be a looonnnng time b4 I came across one. People buy them up QUICK.
I will give it a few weeks or so and keep my eyes open, but I just want those speakers up and running! :)

Great thanks for the input!
Like I said in the post, I’m def going budget.
I feel like a may be overthinking it- so you don’t think the 8020 and it’s 50+50 would be an issue? My basement is at least 25’x25’...
I like it loud but at the same time I’m not trying to have concert volume or anything.

Nope. The receiver appears to put out good power, and with the right speaker combination you may be pleasantly surprised with the output. If you are running a turntable, double check to see if there is a separate phono input jack with ground screw. You may also want to check to see if you have a line out provision for a subwoofer, just in case you would like to run a stand alone sub unit in the future.

Nope. The receiver appears to put out good power, and with the right speaker combination you may be pleasantly surprised with the output. If you are running a turntable, double check to see if there is a separate phono input jack with ground screw. You may also want to check to see if you have a line out provision for a subwoofer, just in case you would like to run a stand alone sub unit in the future.
That new baseline model has both!
I’ve also been wondering- if I were to add a sub, would that pull power from the speakers?

That new baseline model has both!
I’ve also been wondering- if I were to add a sub, would that pull power from the speakers?

If the subs are passive (meaning that they are not self powered) then they will draw some wattage similarly like your speakers. Powered subwoofer sets are very popular, so you may want to go in that direction (I also have a powered sub). You will need to shop around, and also figure out how much power you will want with the sub.

If anyone is still watching this thread, what do you guys think about using a receiver with no phono input, if I have a decent phono preamp?

If anyone is still watching this thread, what do you guys think about using a receiver with no phono input, if I have a decent phono preamp?

You can do this if this is your existing unit. If you are shopping, then look for a unit that has a phono input. Many of Onkyo's receivers have this.

You can do this if this is your existing unit. If you are shopping, then look for a unit that has a phono input. Many of Onkyo's receivers have this.

Yea I’m using a phono preamp with mini hifi stereo right now. There’s some great deals on receivers out there, but a lot of them are missing phono inputs.

Not surprised since the turntable field went away; It has only been recent that we've seen a resurgence in playing vinyl.

Yea it’s actually quite a tricky spot right now.
On one hand, there are some great deals out there on newer models with decent specs, but for whatever reason (prob bc they want you to buy more expensive models), they don’t have phono, or subwoofer outs, or lack both.
Then on the other hand, the vintage stuff, from what basically everyone says, is superior and the power and quality is unmantched, but the vintage movement has really picked up. Any good deals out there disappear almost immediately and all you’re left with is overpriced stuff on the “auction site.”
That’s why I’ve been ripping my hair out trying to decide and find a good deal and I wanna wait for one to come along but I wanna spin wax on these Polk speakers and aaagghhhhhh....!

I got started paying attention to gear when I got a TOTL receiver to replace my old, lowly TX 2500 MKII. What I discovered is the old Onkyo has one of the best phono stages I've heard. It crushed the new one (not Onkyo). Their phono sections are so good I am using a 8500 MKII as a preamp in my main system.

So a friend of mine has a Pioneer VSX-9300 he said he’d let go for $90. It’s really good shape.
Should I just stay away from the A/V style? It’s got the phono input. I gather it’s late 80s...
But it’s got a lot of power...

Yea it’s actually quite a tricky spot right now.
On one hand, there are some great deals out there on newer models with decent specs, but for whatever reason (prob bc they want you to buy more expensive models), they don’t have phono, or subwoofer outs, or lack both.
Then on the other hand, the vintage stuff, from what basically everyone says, is superior and the power and quality is unmantched, but the vintage movement has really picked up. Any good deals out there disappear almost immediately and all you’re left with is overpriced stuff on the “auction site.”
That’s why I’ve been ripping my hair out trying to decide and find a good deal and I wanna wait for one to come along but I wanna spin wax on these Polk speakers and aaagghhhhhh....!

I would tend to disagree with the vintage claim when it comes to amps and speakers. Turntables, IMO, yes I prefer vintage because the vintage turntables had an "artistry" that was at its peak during the late 70's. That artistic value was lost when the vinyl genre became obsolete. Not exactly the case with amps and receivers. Amp units actually improved, with multiple functions, a wider array of channels, and perhaps better initial quality (remains to be seen). The field had outstanding receivers at around the late 70's to mid 80's as well.

I was well versed in the old style two channel (4 channels actually) receiver/amp that was common during the late 70's. I made the change, however, with my new system to an a/v receiver, and in hindsight I am glad that I did. I have more versatility in shaping my system with the new av receivers as opposed to the traditional 2 channel set up. You will need to be careful, as if you intend to add a phono then you should shop carefully. I made that mistake with my first av choice; I ended up returning it and buying an Onkyo.....and that was a great decision!

So a friend of mine has a Pioneer VSX-9300 he said he’d let go for $90. It’s really good shape.
Should I just stay away from the A/V style? It’s got the phono input. I gather it’s late 80s...
But it’s got a lot of power...
Its up to you. You should do what feels best.

I would tend to disagree with the vintage claim when it comes to amps and speakers. Turntables, IMO, yes I prefer vintage because the vintage turntables had an "artistry" that was at its peak during the late 70's. That artistic value was lost when the vinyl genre became obsolete. Not exactly the case with amps and receivers. Amp units actually improved, with multiple functions, a wider array of channels, and perhaps better initial quality (remains to be seen). The field had outstanding receivers at around the late 70's to mid 80's as well.

I was well versed in the old style two channel (4 channels actually) receiver/amp that was common during the late 70's. I made the change, however, with my new system to an a/v receiver, and in hindsight I am glad that I did. I have more versatility in shaping my system with the new av receivers as opposed to the traditional 2 channel set up. You will need to be careful, as if you intend to add a phono then you should shop carefully. I made that mistake with my first av choice; I ended up returning it and buying an Onkyo.....and that was a great decision!

Hey lbls1... first, I appreciate all your input.
But I wasn’t sure what you meant at the end there by “You will need to be careful, as if you intend to add a phono, then you should shop carefully...”
Do you mean if I’m using a TT with an AV receiver then I should make sure it’s a good one for that purpose?

Its up to you. You should do what feels best.

I just have no experience with receivers, and since I’m on such a strict budget, I don’t want to buy something and then have it burn out, or end up unsatisfied,...you know? I just want the most bang for my buck, and sound quality for a TT.
That’s why I joined this site! To put all the pressure on you guys!
Haha

Back
Top Bottom