Cds trying to think of a reason.

vintage 5.0

vintage 5.0
Subscriber
I still have two CD players in two of my three systems. I have several books of CDs . I am just finding it so much easier and better sounding to play streaming music. My question is what is a good reason to use CDs now. I am not a CD hater just to me seems like more of a headache and I like streaming because there is so many things to listen to and also you can see other groups that sound similar. Are others finding out the same thing. I think for me my CDs will be pretty much in the closet. I still do enjoy the vinyl and the sound I get from that. I wonder in like 10 years if CDs will be pretty much gone.

I have CD players on both my main systems, but I usually do stream locally.
Load my CDs to a server in Lossless form, then I can pick and chose and play them at will.
Singley, in album sequence, or shuffled/playlisted as I like

I still have two CD players in two of my three systems. I have several books of CDs . I am just finding it so much easier and better sounding to play streaming music. My question is what is a good reason to use CDs now. I am not a CD hater just to me seems like more of a headache and I like streaming because there is so many things to listen to and also you can see other groups that sound similar. Are others finding out the same thing. I think for me my CDs will be pretty much in the closet. I still do enjoy the vinyl and the sound I get from that. I wonder in like 10 years if CDs will be pretty much gone.

Yup, dying medium. Good idea to rip them to non-volatile memory before you chuck them. (Might help keep you from having to rebuy the content—might.)

I have CD players on both my main systems, but I usually do stream locally.
Load my CDs to a server in Lossless form, then I can pick and chose and play them at will.
Singley, in album sequence, or shuffled/playlisted as I like

This is exactly what I do.

Yup, dying medium. Good idea to rip them to non-volatile memory before you chuck them. (Might help keep you from having to rebuy the content—might.)

If you "ditch" the CD's, legally you have to delete the files from wherever you have them stored. Me, I just keep all of my CD's stored away.

Although I stream music I refuse to pay to "listen to the radio" so higher quality streaming sources are out for me. However, I do use streaming services to investigate new artists and material.

It’s hard to say if CD’s are dying, with new technology players are better and Amazon and fleabay are selling CD’s globally to allot more people.

I didn't know that. I guess I won't even ask about checking out 50 CDs at a time from the local library, ripping them, and returning them for the next 50...

Same rule for video "software"?
Basically, you buy the data on the disc.
Recommended you retain the disc to prove legal ownership.
Toss the disc at your own risk ...

But that's a topic to ask about and discuss in another thread,
rather than run this one off the rails and ruin this discussion.

It’s hard to say if CD’s are dying, with new technology players are better and and fleabay is selling CD’s globally to allot more people.

When they're closing the pressing plants AND retail distribution channels, you better know it's dying. eBay, by definition, is for goods in general decline (though often of interest to the hyper-selective few).

When they're closing the pressing plants AND retail distribution channels,
you better know it's dying. eBay, by definition, is for goods in general decline (though often of interest to the hyper-selective few).
Lots of vinyl bought on ebay and similar channels, tho I don't buy vinyl, there is a significant market for it these days.
And a couple people posted earlier how they are opening new CD plants in the DC area this year

Copyright provides for the keeping of an archival copy. If you trash the CDs after ripping them you’re good. If you sell or donate them now there’s 2 copies in use and only 1 was paid for. That’s illegal. Better to keep them just in case. And back up your rips, storage is cheap. I recommend ripping to FLAC with dB Poweramp. As far as player/mgmt software there’s many choices. I use Audirvana.

When they're closing the pressing plants AND retail distribution channels, you better know it's dying. eBay, by definition, is for goods in general decline (though often of interest to the hyper-selective few).

Didn’t know that....

But I think it’s a bit too early to say exactly what is going to happen.

To see what the future holds, just talk to some young people about their music listening habits and equipment. Ask them about their golf games while you're at it...

Funny thing you should mention that, I golf on base with the help of some young soldiers that enjoy the same. They all seem interested in vintage stereo equipment with CD players because of moving to a different duty station every two years. They send their music collections and equipment to their next duty station using Fedex so nothing gets damaged or stolen. Then sales of CD’s have gone up in the Southern Hemisphere because of the drop in price. So, a person might see the relocation of CD production just like how the production of the Volkswagen Bettle moved to Mexico.

The show is not over until the fat lady sings !!!!

Streaming is great... until "the net" collapses!

Keep the CD player.. get a good recorder or program and transfer your favorite stream material. Now you can play your favorites as a disc and have them even when "0 Net" happens.. and its bound to happen even under the best of "provider" circumstances!

I still like accessing CDs....
The main reason is I know the sound quality remains consistent especially if I'm going to showcase anything and show it off....
And while I have used fairly extensively listening to the stuff over the internet via cable and it is quite amazing what a Pioneer Elite can sound like from stuff coming off of cable.... This is over at my buddy's house that I have to teach how to use everything..lol
And yet he still forgets ......
and my wife and I choose not to spend all that money every month being connected to the Matrix... We use the good old roof antenna and actually rent from a Redbox on average twice a month.... If we want to see anything and if it's something exceptional we will buy a movie or music on Black Friday type sales......
We are amazed at how much money people have to spend to stay connected to the Matrix!
CDs are great and so are movies on Blu-ray or DVD it's a buy at one time for all time without bleeding out money every month!!!

I ripped all of my CDs to flac and stream from my local library. It sounds as good as a CD to me. I also pay for Spotify (320 Ogg) which gives me access to stuff I don't have and then some. I also use Radio Paradise's flac stream (lossless), stream the BBC (320 aac) and all sorts of radio stations. My CDs and their players' are gathering dust in the garage. I personally see no need for a CD player in my system.

Back
Top Bottom