Cds trying to think of a reason.

Just like browsing through your albums, looking through your CD collection oftentimes brings up a music selection that has fallen off your radar, until you put it in the CDP and hit play. Than you remember why you liked it so much. Oftentimes it's the art work that gets your attention. Plus I still like handling those marvelous silver disk that has the music encoded on it.
I typically pay a buck a CD at the thrift stores, don't know a cheaper source to get high quality playback that is permanent. Backups are worthless if they have been compromised. Been through that with other data.

BillWojo

Just like browsing through your albums, looking through your CD collection oftentimes brings up a music selection that has fallen off your radar, until you put it in the CDP and hit play. Than you remember why you liked it so much. Oftentimes it's the art work that gets your attention.

I can assure you music server libraries facilitate all of the above, more quickly, more extensively, and with vastly greater ease of access AND with advanced searching capabilities unavailable to you flipping through your boxes of CDs. Randomized playing of at the album or song level within various playlists makes sure almost everything gets played at least occasionally. And you can sort your library by inverse order of popularity to provide fertile ground from which to mine that "old gold" you mention. Just sayin'...

Last edited:
I do Spotify Premium 90% of the time and lossless files and actual CD's the other 10%.

Without EQ in the digital domain, streaming 320kbps sounds kinda lame on my system. Combined with a tube DAC and Uptone's gizmos it sounds damn good. So good that I've pretty much abandoned my vinyl......not to mention 50 zillion songs to choose from.

Dig it.:music:

There's still some albums that are on CD's that are not being streamed. Rare .. but they are out there.
Most of my legacy CD's these days are used for hardcopy back-up ( for my AAC files) ... stored in CD books.

I bought a Yamaha AVENTAGE BD-A1060BL Blu-ray Disc Player (universal disc spinner) last December. That's really all I can justify owning these days ... Blu Ray/DVD spins now & then.. occasional CD use .

Still own a dedicated Rebook CD player (tube output stage) ... but it's rarely used anymore. Usually I spin Vinyl or Stream.

Last edited:
I forgot that I can play a CD with the server's CD/DVD drive via a plugin in LMS. Very rarely used but handy when a friend brings over a CD.

Just like browsing through your albums, looking through your CD collection oftentimes brings up a music selection that has fallen off your radar, until you put it in the CDP and hit play.
I retired my disk spinners five years ago and find the converse to be true. Which also allows me to mix them seamlessly with my high resolution 24 bit library. To each his own I guess.

I've re-discovered many old friends by using the random play option with renderers located in the main system and garage. Walking down the shelves doesn't do that for me.

I can assure you music server libraries facilitate all of the above, more faster, more extensively, and with vastly greater ease of access AND with advanced searching capabilities unavailable to you flipping through your boxes of CDs. Randomized playing of at the album or song level within various playlists makes sure almost everything gets played at least occasionally. And you can sort your library by inverse order of popularity to provide fertile ground from which to mine that "old gold" you mention. Just sayin'...

I've perused this thread, gathering the different opinions, and I have to say that you're pretty adamant on your stance. That's fine.....however....

I have also been adamant that allowing the dominant medium to disappear (cd's, I'm talking to you) and not REQUIRING a hard, physical copy of something to me just seems reckless.

That's only my opinion, and not worth much.

On my porch, I cobbled together a decent little system, and when I select a cd to play, due to the limitations of the porch system, I often find myself experiencing the album as a whole, instead of cherry-picked tracks. Often, I discover a gem in the rough.

Sure, my extensive (29k songs) computer system is convenient, songs accessed in a microsecond, but.....well......dammit, I love buying cd's for a buck, which is about the most I've payed of recent.

I say get while the getting is good.

I use Tidal and with the master recordings they have, it is hard to beat. I will never get rid of my albums. I just do not really see why even rip them when they are all right there in a master recorded format. You can listen to the whole album also. I am slow to change things sometimes. It just seems that this streaming thing makes more sense. I also seem to save money. I only get albums I really want and have streamed several times to know I like it.

I spent a long time without records OR cds and now I have both. Plus I have tape in several formats. I guess I like physical media and options :)

I have seen a marked rise here in the buying of CD especially in the recycle / thrift outlets. Every time I see someone with records, they've also picked a bunch of CD's too.

I guess if you have a really nice CD player it might be hard to beat the quality of the sound. Like said you can also pick them up for not much money.

Basically, you buy the data on the disc.
Recommended you retain the disc to prove legal ownership.
Toss the disc at your own risk ...

But that's a topic to ask about and discuss in another thread,
rather than run this one off the rails and ruin this discussion.
Not this again thanks for jumping in quick hjames that subject always gets ugly quick.

I wonder in like 10 years if CDs will be pretty much gone.
200 Billion CDs were produced by the year 2007 and they are still cranking them out although at a much reduced rate. When I start to see them in piles at the landfill I will know that the CD is on it's way out.

However until then I will put up with the inferior SQ and crappy interfaces of streaming only in order to audition new music to buy, either by download, or CD and rip to the NAS drive. Music is too important for renting imho!

I suggest take ownership of those CDs in your closet and play them, or sell them to others who are still spinning their own music!

I refuse to pay to "listen to the radio"
Oh c'mon Joe. :D.......Dip yer toes in the stream for awhile (tis free for month or two). Better chance than not you'll find the "water" is just fine and a worthy addition to your musical experiences! If not, in any event, you should at least come away acknowledging that on-demand streaming is far more than just "paying for radio". ;)
If you "ditch" the CD's, legally you have to delete the files from wherever you have them stored.
? This proclamation (deleting and/or keeping originals) has been armchair bandied about alot here and on other forums.
Citation please *not here...see below
I didn't know that.
Is it really so?
Copyright provides for the keeping of an archival copy. If you trash the CDs after ripping them you’re good. If you sell or donate them now there’s 2 copies in use and only 1 was paid for. That’s illegal.
? Citation please *not here...see below
Recommended you retain the disc to prove legal ownership.
Toss the disc at your own risk ...
? Citation please *not here...see below
But that's a topic to ask about and discuss in another thread,
rather than run this one off the rails and ruin this discussion

**Agreed. High time to start just such an informative, civil, and cited discussion. Inquiring minds want to really know what the actual Law in fact says about this very issue. Should no one beat me to it in the meantime, then I'll start a thread when I have more time; with links to all relative sections and amendments to the US Copyright Act for all to peruse for the real answer. Yay group sourcing! :)

Not this again thanks for jumping in quick hjames that subject always gets ugly quick.
As I noted above, I agree this is not the thread to derail. But it doesn't have to "get ugly" if managed properly. Personally I'd really like to see it cited rather than just bloviated misinformation. Film at 11 elsewhere.:)

I buy, rip to lossless, and store. Also back up pretty much all my files, so I have backup for my backup. My rips sound as good as the real thing, and I can now create my own playlists, find and play stuff quickly, etc. Streaming is much more convenient, but I still like to own the physical media.

Last edited:
For me, CD's are still relevant and I still buy them because:

1. I haven't heard them all yet,
2. For the most part, used and new CD prices are still pretty reasonable, and,
3. They are a great digital music source. Every one I purchase I rip to FLAC and listen to them through my music server.

Great way to build your music collection. If you want to adopt a digital music solution, those CD's are still valuable as they can be ripped and added to your collection.

Last edited:
The biggest issue for me and streaming isn't really variety, with 40,000,000 tracks the variety is in there, somewhere. But how to find what I like while staring into the vast abyss is what I have difficulty with. Everyone says just start in, and the algorithm will pick up on me and figure me out, my likes, but it doesn't, or at least I never have really gotten there yet other than just very occasionally.

Then I start to put in some of the music I like and own,and sure enough it starts playing music I already have!! Then what it sees as "similar artists" are not really that similar at all in my opinion.

Every streaming session I ever start goes like this. I'm getting the itch for the next great artist, one that will blow me away with all the things music does, if it's the right music. I start listening to recommendations" just for me" that have probably been in there for a month. I am sitting there at first trying to like what its playing but I am not. First I hang in there, letting the full track play, but I start getting a slight headache. Then I start hitting the next button, the thumbs down button, or anything that will make it stop whatever it is that is by now starting to po me. After a half hour I'm done.

Back
Top Bottom