Cds trying to think of a reason.

As I noted above, I agree this is not the thread to derail. But it doesn't have to "get ugly" if managed properly. Personally I'd really like to see it cited rather than just bloviated misinformation. Film at 11 elsewhere.:)
:rflmao:

After a half hour I'm done.
Heh...yeah I totally get what you're saying. You and I have been round the bend on several occasions about how to make streaming work best for you. I dunno mate...maybe you're just one above average tough customer. :D

And that's fine, but I can't help thinking your apparent need/expectation for "immediate" and automated holy grail gratification from streaming services is a factor. No different than wandering into the record store/download site for 30 minutes to try and discover new stuff yet coming away dry...streaming rewards over time & work--despite the uber convenient aid of 2018 algorithms.

That aside, my relative counter question begs, what is your preferred method of finding new music presently and how much time do you spend actively looking for it? Radio? Blogs? YouTube? AK music threads?

Is it not all relative? Possible it's the physical hunt you're missing? Maybe it's simply TOO convenient & automatic for you. ;)

BTW...it's totally fine that streaming is just not for you....so far. :) Your NAS is plentiful and allows hours of enjoyment. S'all goodman
:beerchug:

That aside, my relative counter question begs, what is your preferred method of finding new music presently and how much time do you spend actively looking for it? Radio? Blogs? YouTube? AK music threads?

Well good question. For one I've been listening to music as a pastime off and on for 45 years so there is that. AK music forums have netted me some pretty good gems. Also friends recommendations and I sometimes am shazaming music I hear and don't recognize that has potential and later stream it to see if it is really worth investing in. I have grabbed some in used music stores and others have left me some vinyl and CDs including a relative who had a huge collection of lps that he had for a public stations jazz show. he is in advanced MS stages so he's not playing music anymore. About once a week or so I take out one of those and play it,and if it sounds good I rip it to 16/44.1 flac. It's going to take years to get through all of those.

But streaming algorithms don't work for me, neither do canned playlists. Shame because they're sitting on the mother lode, but like many modern gold mines the actual gold is in parts per million so it takes huge machinery to excivate massive open pits. Finding music with streaming is a little like that without the tools.

As for streaming, as a sole source, I just can't get interested in it because I need tools to create favorites in different genre, moods, and I don't see any access to tags at all with streaming. If there were access, I would want to organize it, fiddle with the rating etc like I can easily do with my music. Then what would happen to my music library,and all the playlists, customized tags etc when tidal or whichever outfit I had hitched my wagon to goes broke or gets bought by Apple and left to rot? Will I get all my music ported over to another outfit? How much work would that be? Of course they don't offer tagging so don't have to worry about that. It's more like background listening otherwise for me however.

The op presented a question that seemed to ask why anyone would want to own music when we could be renting it. He couldn't seem to understand why, and for him, streaming is no doubt right. But maybe it's the way he and others in other threads present it, like why are we all so attached to the past, that CDs themselves might be gone in 10 years. And that's great that streaming is out there for anyone who wants it. I'm only here on this thread at all because there seemed to be a little bit of an attack on those who hasn't embraced "the future of music".

Everyone can do whatever they want, I will stick with ownership over renting.

I'll keep my CDs, and get more if I find something I want. I play more vinyl, but with a good DAC Redbook can sound great. And with a DAC, you don't need to keep a good CDP, it's just a transport, so it's easier and cheaper to replace if/when necessary. Dump the jewel-boxes and the discs take very little space, 1,000 will fit one shelf or drawer.

I'm not a digital media guy, I much prefer analog.

That said, I tried streaming, as others I don't pay for it so not the best, and as much as I'm not a digital guy I prefer CD's (especially SACD) over streaming. Digital media is only a convenience thing for me, a lot like the radio used to be before it became all advertising all the time. With the lack of interest I'm not about to sit there "teaching" the site my preferences. So I recently picked up a Sony ES line 400 disc carousel player for a song ($63 on eBay). Funny because I only have a few dozen CD"s, again, not a digital guy. With that sad, I use this way more than I ever used Pandora, it "only" plays what I put into it so no stinkers.

x158DVPX777-f.jpeg

Hey Pandora, since when did rap become classic rock?

Oh c'mon Joe. :D.......Dip yer toes in the stream for awhile (tis free for month or two). Better chance than not you'll find the "water" is just fine and a worthy addition to your musical experiences! If not, in any event, you should at least come away acknowledging that on-demand streaming is far more than just "paying for radio". ;)

Please note: I said "I refuse to PAY to listen to the radio". I also said I do stream and use it to introduce myself to new and/or different artists/music.

I never put money in jukeboxes when I was young. I'm not going to start paying now to listen to music. Renting music doesn't work for me.

^^^^ Me and my friends use to feed the jukebox all the time when we were teenagers eating at a local L&K (like a Denny's).
Oh the memories :) .. driving the young waitress up the wall (pranksters) while playing Disco Duck over and over. Would not want to own that song though .. some tunes (like movies) are better suited for rentals.

Last edited:
Copyright provides for the keeping of an archival copy. If you trash the CDs after ripping them you’re good. If you sell or donate them now there’s 2 copies in use and only 1 was paid for. That’s illegal.
If Men in Black landed their helicopter in my driveway and perused my computer (along with half a dozen backups), they'd find lots of music that never had a corresponding piece of polycarbonate. I download music (16 and 24 bit) from a wide range of vendors. Just purchased another from Bandcamp.

Are they going to haul me off unless I provide access to my AMEX statements?

Lest I bloviate further I'll hold off on addressing your question until the 'lawyer' starts the authoritative discussion with citations. That said, your computer and Amex statements would be of no interest to me if I were among those MIB in your driveway. You'd be looking at my flashy pen, your Beveridge speakers would be mine, all mine and you wouldn't remember a thing! :)

Back on topic. I side with those that prefer ownership of physical media even if only for backup and don't enjoy paying monthly subscriptions. Also I grew up on AOR fm, so I'm a 100% "album guy". I have found free streaming (Pandora I think) when visiting my son to have very limited classic rock and jazz libraries and to have clueless algorithms as to sub-genre. For 3+ years now every time I visit I am treated to the same short repetitious playlist featuring the Hollies Long Cool Woman and similar played to death fare. Not much enticement there.

15255367070391298360334.jpg
I'm not a digital media guy, I much prefer analog.

That said, I tried streaming, as others I don't pay for it so not the best, and as much as I'm not a digital guy I prefer CD's (especially SACD) over streaming. Digital media is only a convenience thing for me, a lot like the radio used to be before it became all advertising all the time. With the lack of interest I'm not about to sit there "teaching" the site my preferences. So I recently picked up a Sony ES line 400 disc carousel player for a song ($63 on eBay). Funny because I only have a few dozen CD"s, again, not a digital guy. With that sad, I use this way more than I ever used Pandora, it "only" plays what I put into it so no stinkers.

View attachment 1179597

Hey Pandora, since when did rap become classic rock?
I love my sony 300 disk changer. Sounds great. My remote has a display on it with all the titles at my finger tips. Can chain three together. Never have to search for or handle my cd's.

Last edited:
View attachment 1179747
I love my sony 300 disk changer. Sounds great. My remote has a display on it with all the titles at my finger tips. Can chain three together. Never have to search for or handle my cd's.
I inherited one of these. It’s been on permanent loan to a friend. Too hard to pick 300 out of 1100 and a big PITA to rotate 300 CDs for my taste. Probably better still than my first CDP which was a 6+1 JVC. Those magazines were $15 each so I paid for 7 CDs, but only got 6. We had babies then so my collection grew very slowly.

... Also I grew up on AOR fm, so I'm a 100% "album guy". I have found free streaming (Pandora I think) when visiting my son to have very limited classic rock and jazz libraries and to have clueless algorithms as to sub-genre. For 3+ years now every time I visit I am treated to the same short repetitious playlist featuring the Hollies Long Cool Woman and similar played to death fare. Not much enticement there.
I also grew up on AOR fm and a paid subscription to Spotify lets me play albums and sometimes it even suggests some new to me music that I find interesting. I mostly use Spotify to play albums though. I also use it with a plugin on LMS called Don't Stop The Music which basically adds songs to your playlist when an album or playlist ends from your personal library and Spotify. I use my personal library (ripped CDs to flac) over Spotify. Spotify is good for all the stuff I don't have yet.

I inherited one of these. It’s been on permanent loan to a friend. Too hard to pick 300 out of 1100 and a big PITA to rotate 300 CDs for my taste. Probably better still than my first CDP which was a 6+1 JVC. Those magazines were $15 each so I paid for 7 CDs, but only got 6. We had babies then so my collection grew very slowly.
Just leave slot #1 open to allow adding any CD on a whim, and as mentioned these can be daisy-chained together to hold a plethora of choices.

Heh...yeah I totally get what you're saying. You and I have been round the bend on several occasions about how to make streaming work best for you. I dunno mate...maybe you're just one above average tough customer. :D

Yes we have! And yes I am a tough sell when it comes to music. I require a certain bit of exceptional performance, from not only the artist,but the recording and master too. The music can't bore me,needs to be such that the artist knows and is invested in a great sounding product like they actually care. Background music is something I run from, like an assault on my senses. Like some North Korean horn speakers mounted to a truck blasting out patriotic songs at 110db!

I'm becoming convinced that 98% of all music is crap (for me) but 2% of 40 million would keep me in new music till the pipers at the pearly gates start playing my tunes! How does one find this 2%? Not with streaming algorithms that miss everything of interest. Like the song goes, searching for a heart of gold and I'm getting old.. and no I not especially a N. Young fan...

I buy CDs and rip them to a server as flac files, and that's my primary playback source. It's several years since I actually put a CD in a player to listen, though I sometimes put DVD-A or SACD discs in my Oppo to hear the surround mixes. I find that playback from flac files on the server sounds as good or (somewhat mysteriously) better than direct playback. I do also use Tidal, mostly to discover new stuff. Why not rely on Tidal? Well, they don't have everything I want to hear, and what's worse, it appears that their licensing agreements are time-limited - a number of times albums I've marked as favorites on Tidal have disappeared. That doesn't happen with albums I've ripped to my server.

I enjoy sitting down with a CD (or record) and listening to it in its entirety. I look at the liner notes, and sometimes even research it online for more info. I like collecting the artist's work. I feel I am supporting artists by buying their CD's. Playing music is part of the listening experience.
To each their own.

Back
Top Bottom